Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:35 PM

50,750 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Didn't take you long to wave the race card. The only reason people bring up those stats is because people like you accuse police of racism because most of their encounters are with blacks. What else do you expect? It's the same mantra that the rich get all the tax cuts.
Yesterday was one of my two days a week to tutor Thai Buddhist monks in better English. Each day, among other things, we tackle a couple of idioms. Yesterday one of them was "beating around the bush". Some are graphic from the beginning about race, others try to make it sound softer. In the end, it's the same old same old. The race card was being played long before I entered this conversation. It was the ace of stats.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm more concern about people who take ads and T.V. as representative of real life. Some of you folks sure are sensitive .
Oh please. It's the fact that hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year that brainwashing takes place. Ads imbed deep in the mind. I can recall ads from decades ago.

Whether an adult believes that is real is beside the point. The mood is set, the stereotype is pounded in repeatedly. Kids are programmed to believe.

It's brainwashing. Oh yeah, I think I'll buy some Tide! The ad made it look so effective in getting out tough spots and stains!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:21 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Oh please. It's the fact that hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year that brainwashing takes place. Ads imbed deep in the mind. I can recall ads from decades ago.

Whether an adult believes that is real is beside the point. The mood is set, the stereotype is pounded in repeatedly. Kids are programmed to believe.

It's brainwashing. Oh yeah, I think I'll buy some Tide! The ad made it look so effective in getting out tough spots and stains!
What, exactly, are they being brainwashed to believe?

Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
In a word......absolutely. What isn't PC today?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

And that is where adults come in to teach kids about the real world. Perhaps their job instead letting T.V. and other things raise them. All I hear is a bunch of whining from people on this thread.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:19 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
I don't think it's about being PC, it's about being cheap. Before, they used to make a couple versions of basically the same commercial but one would have white people, one would have black, etc. Now, they just make one and get everyone represented.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:26 PM

661 posts, read 521,046 times
Blame Hitler/the Nazis and their atrocities for the wave of PC gone wild today. Anything just right-of-center, no matter how "mild", is seen as inherently racist or whatever "phobia" word they'll use on you. I wouldn't be surprised if the liberals started acting to conservatives with physical or violent tactics. They are the ones even complaining about using the term "politically correct" themselves.

No wonder far-right movements are on the rise, the PC mess only re-enforces more radicalism.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
'political correctness' is just a phrase for those social norms that whoever is hysterically wailing "Political correctness!" doesn't like.

And it's nothing new.

Why did Lucy and Ricky sleep in separate beds? CBS didn't want to offend to the undies-in-a-bunch crowd by implying that married couples might have - gasp! - recreational sex. Political correctness.

Why were Beatles records burned throughout the South when John Lennon suggested that his band might be more popular than Jesus? Because it was politically incorrect to do so. Political correctness.

Why was sauerkraut renamed 'liberty cabbage' during World War I? Because it was politically incorrect to have anything to do with German culture while we were at war with Germany. Political correctness.

'homicide bombers'. Need I say more? Political correctness.

Yet none of these examples are ever called out as political correctness, despite the fact that they perfect fit the very definition. Why? Because they don't bother the bunch that whines incessantly about political correctness, as so long as they're the ones being offended, they don't consider it political correctness.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'political correctness' is just a phrase for those social norms that whoever is hysterically wailing "Political correctness!" doesn't like.

And it's nothing new.

Why did Lucy and Ricky sleep in separate beds? CBS didn't want to offend to the undies-in-a-bunch crowd by implying that married couples might have - gasp! - recreational sex. Political correctness.
I always assumed it was because they were not sure the TV owners/viewers would know that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were actually married. Especially since she didn't change her name like Harriet Nelson did. I think that it wasn't until The Munsters and The Brady Bunch in the mid to late 60s when unmarried actors were seen in the same bed as a married couple.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I always assumed it was because they were not sure the TV owners/viewers would know that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were actually married. Especially since she didn't change her name like Harriet Nelson did. I think that it wasn't until The Munsters and The Brady Bunch in the mid to late 60s when unmarried actors were seen in the same bed as a married couple.
They never actually showed anyone else in bed together (except maybe the Arnaz'). The Darren Stevens' were never shown in bed together, the Ozzie Nelsons were never shown in bed together, the Rob Petrie's were never shown in bed together.

I think the Flintstones may have been shown in bed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.