Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,015,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Back during the heart of the Great Recession, I had hoped for a New Deal-type plan that would train people out of work, especially in challenged communities, to rebuild housing and other infrastructure. Ideally, it would create not only a useful skill set but ideally also a level of pride that residents would feel encouraged to maintain. Of course, such a stimulus package would cost money. So would the idea that the OP suggests.

For those who still feel they live in a semi-permanent recession or depression, I would still recommend skills training subsidized by the state and federal government. It's already been suggested, for example, that solar energy has more of a future in Appalachia than coal. Focus on subsidizing training that can be completed at community college or other legitimate two-year schools.

But again, that will cost money that many of the affected states may not be able, let alone willing, to invest in their citizens. I don't think we can count on federal help right now, to say the least.
Some states actually do that. Nevada has some joint partnerships with manufacturers who have moved into the area and needed trained workers, they go to Community College for a course specific to the job, the corporation and the state share the cost of the training so it's a win-win for everyone, I only wish that happened more often.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 4,308,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't know what doctors you are dealing with, but the ones I've had throughout my life would refuse to perform these procedures on young people with no kids. My doctor refused to do it after my second son was born because I was in my early 20's.

The doctor I finally got to perform my tubal ligation argued with me about it for several weeks before she would do it, even though I was 36 and had two sons.

I have also heard women say that (years ago) they had a doctor who would refuse no matter her age or if she had kids, unless she was married and her husband signed off on it. That has also been a thing.

Yes, the logical argument is: "So find another doctor!" But we are talking about poor people here, and they don't always have their choice of lots of doctors. And if you aren't living in a city or can't afford to travel to one for a procedure...

Then there is the fact that this is not universally covered under health insurance, even assuming a person has health insurance, and the cost can be prohibitive if someone even finds a doc to do it.

I never said that a person could not request this. I am saying that many doctors will say NO. And there is no law preventing them from refusing to do it.
Poor people generally go to Planned Parenthood for reproductive services, and PP is not likely to refer anyone to a physician that would refuse a sound and well considered request for sterilization. Anyone 18 years old or older can make such a request, but should expect to have the request thoroughly evaluated, to avoid future regrets about an almost irreversible procedure. The patient has to have a totally waterproof case, because no physician wants to be subsequently sued for insufficient disclosure of the risks of the procedure. Regarding the out-of-pocket cost of tubal ligation, it is incomparably lower than the cost of raising a child.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Poor people generally go to Planned Parenthood for reproductive services, and PP is not likely to refer anyone to a physician that would refuse a sound and well considered request for sterilization. Anyone 18 years old or older can make such a request, but should expect to have the request thoroughly evaluated, to avoid future regrets about an almost irreversible procedure. The patient has to have a totally waterproof case, because no physician wants to be subsequently sued for insufficient disclosure of the risks of the procedure. Regarding the out-of-pocket cost of tubal ligation, it is incomparably lower than the cost of raising a child.
It's not quite that simple. My second child developed epilepsy when he was 10 months old, it was very hard to control the seizures and it was heartbreaking to watch him turn blue and wonder if he would have brain damage from anoxia while he was seizing. When he was six I went to my Ob/Gyn and told her I wanted a tubal ligation, that I simply could not take a chance on having another child with epilepsy. She refused and told me to think about it and come back in 6 months if I still wanted one then she would 'consider it'. I went back in 6 months and got a lecture about how would I feel if one of my boys died and I couldn't have another child blah blah. I finally quit asking and got an IUD.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 PM

564 posts, read 446,134 times
The problem is going to get much worse, IMO. College grads, many apparently, are taking low paying jobs, when they can find them. We're getting huge numbers of basically unemployable kids leaving the secondary ed system. They can no longer get a good job screwing parts together at a Western Electric factory. Government employment is hardly any answer. Many of those jobs are already little more than over paid welfare positions.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 4,308,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not quite that simple. My second child developed epilepsy when he was 10 months old, it was very hard to control the seizures and it was heartbreaking to watch him turn blue and wonder if he would have brain damage from anoxia while he was seizing. When he was six I went to my Ob/Gyn and told her I wanted a tubal ligation, that I simply could not take a chance on having another child with epilepsy. She refused and told me to think about it and come back in 6 months if I still wanted one then she would 'consider it'. I went back in 6 months and got a lecture about how would I feel if one of my boys died and I couldn't have another child blah blah. I finally quit asking and got an IUD.
Very sorry to hear that. I suppose you were happy with your gyn for other reasons, so you wanted to keep her, but getting a referral to a different gyn who would perform TL more liberally (particularly because you had a medical concern) would not have been very difficult. Again, Planned Parenthood would have been the right place to inquire about such a referral. Fortunately, IUDs are quite reliable too.

Anyhow, this is a thread about how to end poverty, not specifically about reasons why some gyns refuse to perform TL on women who are young or do not have children. There is no medical or legal reason for such refusal, and one basically just needs to find the right gyn dr.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 PM

10,851 posts, read 7,260,437 times
I had a TL in my early 20s. Unmarried, no kids. They asked, "what if you meet the perfect man, but he wants kids?" and I said, "then he's not the perfect man." Glad I got it, never regretted it.

But that was in San Francisco, which is a bit more liberal than many areas.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:56 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,163,818 times
Our nation devotes too much money and time to "helping the poor". It has to stop. Some 50 years after the Great Society, 7 trillion plus spent on the poor, and yet we have huge numbers. At the same time we have been flooded with more poor via a very corrupt immigration system.

Reduce legal immigration by 50 percent for 10 years.

Deport 10-15 million illegal immigrants.

These two simple and painless changes will uplift millions of poor people out of poverty.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Very sorry to hear that. I suppose you were happy with your gyn for other reasons, so you wanted to keep her, but getting a referral to a different gyn who would perform TL more liberally (particularly because you had a medical concern) would not have been very difficult. Again, Planned Parenthood would have been the right place to inquire about such a referral. Fortunately, IUDs are quite reliable too. Anyhow, this is a thread about how to end poverty, not specifically about reasons why some gyns refuse to perform TL on women who are young or do not have children. There is no medical or legal reason for such refusal, and one basically just needs to find the right gyn dr.
You're the one claiming it's easy peasy to get a doc to sterilize a young woman, so I shared my story which is not unique because I have heard similar stories from other women. I don't need advice on where I could have gone to be sterilized, my point is that it is not easy to convince a doctor to sterilize a young woman and if the woman told the physician that she wanted to be sterilized because she is poor and wanted her $10,000 prize, doing the procedure under those circumstances would be a violation of the Hippocratic oath: "Primum non nocere"

Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Our nation devotes too much money and time to "helping the poor". It has to stop. Some 50 years after the Great Society, 7 trillion plus spent on the poor, and yet we have huge numbers. At the same time we have been flooded with more poor via a very corrupt immigration system.
Reduce legal immigration by 50 percent for 10 years.
Deport 10-15 million illegal immigrants.
These two simple and painless changes will uplift millions of poor people out of poverty.
Just out of curiosity, how many illegal immigrants do you think there are in this Country and how did you come up with the number, guesstimate? google?

Old 07-04-2017, 12:44 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,082,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many illegal immigrants do you think there are in this Country and how did you come up with the number, guesstimate? google?
The issue is not really illegals it is legal immigration but it's not socially acceptable .... yet to talk about deporting legal immigrants or even first generation citizens (i.e. Not here by birth by legal citizens)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates