Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times

Advertisements

Were the Puritans really as influential on American culture as people say they are? Are they really the reason that women can't be topless on American beaches? Are they really the reason that American workers don't get more vacation time?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM

510 posts, read 500,269 times
In my opinion the Puritans never had a stranglehold on American morality and work ethic as much as people today believe. The US, even during colonial times, was rather diverse in religion and religiosity and the majority probably viewed Puritans as some wacky religious offshoot. In fact one rather ironic twist of fate today is that the Puritans' original stomping ground is some of the most liberal and irreligious parts of the country.

Probably the bigger issue with workers rights (where the vacation time would fall under, assuming a more European model) is the huge amount of pushback from corporate America when it comes to any labor laws, especially on a national level. Labor laws tend to fall into states rights jurisdictions and as such, are all over the place. For example, in many states you can be brought to court for violating a non-compete clause, while in California, these non-competes are never held up in court except under a very limit circumstance. If you work in one state, but the head office is in another is makes it even more confusing.

As for morality laws, religious influence, while rapidly waning, is responsible for 99% of those "dear god save me from myself" laws on the books in many towns. Interestingly on a federal level you are much freer. Local politicians know to pander to church folks to win a voting block. So if he/she can secure 1000 votes from Anti-Alcohol Church of Next Day Saints, you can bet any silly laws they want will be passed or upheld. Hence why some counties/towns are "dry" even though prohibition on a national level is dead.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Were the Puritans really as influential on American culture as people say they are? Are they really the reason that women can't be topless on American beaches? Are they really the reason that American workers don't get more vacation time?
Not just the Puritans - but, as in most of history, the entire Priesthood and/or religious communities have always made sure that people "towed the line".

"Fundamentally, historians remain dissatisfied with the grouping as "Puritan" as a working concept for historical explanation. The conception of a Protestant work ethic, identified more closely with Calvinist or Puritan principles, has been criticized at its root, mainly as a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy aligning economic success with a narrow religious scheme."

Prudishness and lack of recreation seem to me to be a method of societal control - something the government AND religions love. Back in the 60's we often wondered why pot and "soft" drugs were such a danger to the "state". The truth of the matter was simple - the government and establishment doesn't want you thinking for yourself or being happy taking a walk. They want you to do as they say, give your 10% to the church and - when you would like to be entertained - fly to Disney World and spend thousands.

If you read about Germany you will find that the first thing most citizens do on their day off is TAKE A WALK. They hike here and there and have picnics, etc.

In the USA you are supposed to jump in your low MPG car, drive somewhere and then end up staying there for less time than it took you to get there and back.

I truly believe this to be true. We are a corporate state - so the establishment tends to favor anything which keeps the population in line...and educated just enough to serve as lifetime slaves (to their jobs).

Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
They are the reason most Euro-American parents can't bring themselves to talk to their kids about sex. They're the reason many of those same parents handle their kids' teen years poorly, or why there's a stereotype of rebellious teens. They're one of the reasons why women have been held back in society, historically. They're the reason why missionaries in Hawaii covered Native women with muumuus. They're the reason why, when oral contraceptives hit the market, only married women were allowed to have prescriptions for them, at first.

There are many more examples of how they've affected society. They're the reason why there are book bannings in some school districts, of literary masterworks.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They are the reason most Euro-American parents can't bring themselves to talk to their kids about sex. They're the reason many of those same parents handle their kids' teen years poorly, or why there's a stereotype of rebellious teens. They're one of the reasons why women have been held back in society, historically. They're the reason why missionaries in Hawaii covered Native women with muumuus. They're the reason why, when oral contraceptives hit the market, only married women were allowed to have prescriptions for them, at first.

There are many more examples of how they've affected society. They're the reason why there are book bannings in some school districts, of literary masterworks.
So are you saying that because the Danes, for example, cast off religion (most of Europe is secular) that is why they now CAN talk more freely about sex, have longer vacations, etc.???

I'd say there is some truth in the metric that the more "religious" a culture, the more control it tries to assert over the flock. Americans complain about Islam but much of that is looking in the mirror. Many American men (at least of past generations) would love their wives to be hidden at home taking care of the household and obeying their every command.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:

^^^This. I come from the old Puritan stomping ground and I do genealogy as a hobby. My mother's side was about 95% original Puritan stock. As late as about 1960 my mother thought it was sinful to wear makeup and to dance. Her family was plain and hardworking. I believe that was a result of the Puritan heritage. They weren't even supposed to enjoy themselves. It was said that it was noble to suffer. The Puritans had strict dress codes, especially based upon modesty for women.

And, in this part of the country, we had Blue Laws on the books until recently. That meant that stores were closed on Sunday and there were rules (still are) about when and where liquor can be sold.

The more southerly New England states were diluted with immigrants from Italy, Ireland, and France, among other nations. But if you head northward, you still get the old time New Englanders, more plain and with simple, rural lifestyles. Hard working, community oriented, all help each other.

We are known for being frugal and fixing things and making do, not conspicuous consumption. Remnants of the Puritan mindset still linger. We value education highly and it was the Puritans who established Harvard University in 1636! The Puritans themselves were educated people.

This area has become more socially liberal and tolerant, probably due to the number of highly educated people. It wasn't that way to begin with, obviously, when even Quakers were expelled from the colonies.
But we are socially accepting now. We are still frugal--we are fiscally conservative.

Some of this mindset must have spread to other parts of the country when people migrated from New England to NY state, Ohio, and onward. I don't know how much, if any, of the Puritan influence extended to the South or the far west but I do think the Puritan influence was respected and influenced our national behavior for many years. Now it's fading, diluted, and we are more modernized.

Only people in other parts of the country will be able to determine how much influence the Puritan mindset had upon them. I know it was strong and long lasting here in New England.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Something I find interesting is that most "restrict people under 18 for their own good and shield them from corrupting influences" legislation and "nanny state" legislation is pushed by Democrats. It was Frank Lautenberg who introduced the drinking age highway funds bill, it was Tipper Gore who founded the Parents' Music Resource Center, it was Joe Lieberman who tried to get video games censored, California is the state that had a video game censorship law until the SCOTUS struck it down, it's the Democrats who want a smoking age of 21, it was Al Gore and Obama who wanted a national school leaving age of 18, it was New York that introduced the first seat belt laws, etc.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Something I find interesting is that most "restrict people under 18 for their own good and shield them from corrupting influences" legislation and "nanny state" legislation is pushed by Democrats. It was Frank Lautenberg who introduced the drinking age highway funds bill, it was Tipper Gore who founded the Parents' Music Resource Center, it was Joe Lieberman who tried to get video games censored, California is the state that had a video game censorship law until the SCOTUS struck it down, it's the Democrats who want a smoking age of 21, it was Al Gore and Obama who wanted a national school leaving age of 18, it was New York that introduced the first seat belt laws, etc.
So this was a political thread all along. How low can you guys go?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Ahhh..the Puritans..one of the more extreme Calvinist offshoots. When they got to North America...after being kicked out of England and Amsterdam...they did so with the express intent of establishing a theocracy. They did so..it lasted for almost 100 years.

If any want to know a bit more..just google Richard, Cotton and Increase Mather

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritans

I think that a lot of our work ethic is derived from the Puritans.

Also, the Calvinist sects believe that secular success is a sign of God's favor, thus poor people are poor/cursed by God because of their sinful nature. Sound familiar?

Earlier C-D thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...hedonists.html

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 07-12-2017 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

I don't really think so. I doubt that even 1% of Americans could actually explain who the Puritans were. Culture during that general time was rather prudish, and to single out the Puritans for that much influence hundreds of years later is, in my view, an overly simplistic way to attach a quick answer to an underlying conservative basis for American behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates