Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 AM

214 posts, read 329,819 times

Advertisements

I was watching a documentary on periods of the past, including sanitary and food/drink. I feel so fortunate to live in a time where medical care is easily accessible; food is easy to get; water is easy to get; etc. When you think of the life expectancy hundreds to 1000's years ago, we really are in an era where simple things come easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
I try to sometimes focus on being lucky to live now.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
When you think about it, it really is quite amazing. In the year 1900 the life expectancy in the US was 47 years. Right now the worst life expectancy is in Sierra Leone, at 50 years. It is amazing how far humanity has come just in the past 117 years. And even if you look at the past 27 years (since 1990) it is still amazing.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
On a website frequently post on, I was discussing year-round schooling and someone said that the word today is "too complex and fast-changing" for 16-year-olds to assume adult responsibilities, to which I responded, "I doubt life today is more difficult than it was when people had to worry about food shortages, winters without heat, and malaria."

Anyway, I find it fascinating how 1914-1945 was full of mass warfare, genocide, and economic depressions yet 1945-present has been the most prosperous and peaceful era in history.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
On a website frequently post on, I was discussing year-round schooling and someone said that the word today is "too complex and fast-changing" for 16-year-olds to assume adult responsibilities, to which I responded, "I doubt life today is more difficult than it was when people had to worry about food shortages, winters without heat, and malaria."

Anyway, I find it fascinating how 1914-1945 was full of mass warfare, genocide, and economic depressions yet 1945-present has been the most prosperous and peaceful era in history.
I would go even farther and marvel at how much the world has changed since 1990, when the Cold War ended. The end of the cold war meant that billions of people in Asia, South America, and Eastern Europe could finally prosper, and in fact that is what many countries did

Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,639 times
I've thought about this for years. What would our life be like without:

Reliable utilities, like the steady flow of electricity, consistent water pressure, that is also safe to cook with, drink, and bathe in. Fiber optic or cable TV, or Satellite TV?

Regular garbage pickup?

Stores with an abundance of fresh, safe foods?

Ditto an abundance of restaurants and pharmacies?

An abundance of high quality hospitals, clinics and doctor's offices?

The Internet, where we can research just about anything, as long as you know how and when to take things with a grain of salt?

The Internet, where you can buy almost anything, and arrange delivery to your front door?

Reliable cars that don't rot or fall apart after a few years, or stall out if not periodically tuned?

Today's medical advances, where certain diseases and injuries meant certain death or amputations only 20 years ago?

Prosperity is a wonderful thing, and we are lucky to be alive now. I remember my late grandmother, born in 1912, whenever anyone got sick she got very nervous, because in her day, it was not uncommon for someone who got sick to actually die from it. Today, we get antibiotics and anti viral medicines, and many more people survive a sickness.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Very good points and I'm glad to be alive and born when I was in 1938, to see the before and after of much of our times. I can remember a loaf of bread being 15cents and even though I don't indulge anymore, to get a healthy loaf about $4-$5 or so and get some white spongy bread I'm going to have to say $2something...I have no idea about the Wonder bread world.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
What a great post, so true.

I had an acute medical scare last year (I'm relatively young, in my 40s)
Anyway, I was by myself and I called 911
Within minutes I had a police officer, two EMTs AND a mobile ICU unit at my house.

To be able to hit three little numbers on your phone and all of that shows up for you? Holy moly!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,283,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I was watching a documentary on periods of the past, including sanitary and food/drink. I feel so fortunate to live in a time where medical care is easily accessible; food is easy to get; water is easy to get; etc. When you think of the life expectancy hundreds to 1000's years ago, we really are in an era where simple things come easy.
sometimes. but the storm clouds on the horizon dampen the spirit...

Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
I have never considered it because 60 years ago people felt fortunate to live during that time frame compared to the time frame 60 years prior to that, and so on and so on. Its all relative to the time frame in which you are alive. 60 years from now people are going to say life is better then than it is now.

I personally would like to see a plateau. I see the current technology taking us to a place that resembles the movie Wall-E and I don't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates