U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM

4,982 posts, read 1,260,898 times

Advertisements

Spanking does not work. It's only a temporary solution to a long term problem. Some of the most spanked folks of all time are sitting behind bars as convicted felons, guilty of violent crimes with no hope of rehabilitation.

Yes some kids needs spankings. Growing up, my parents spanked me religiously but at the end of the day I still had to choice right from wrong once I was too old for spankings.

Good parenting and parental involvement, trumps spankings everyday. Spanking is just lazy parenting.

P.S. There's a very fine line between spanking and child abuse.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:05 PM

19,241 posts, read 12,718,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Spanking does not work. It's only a temporary solution to a long term problem. Some of the most spanked folks of all time are sitting behind bars as convicted felons, guilty of violent crimes with no hope of rehabilitation.

Yes some kids needs spankings. Growing up, my parents spanked me religiously but at the end of the day I still had to choice right from wrong once I was too old for spankings.

Good parenting and parental involvement, trumps spankings everyday. Spanking is just lazy parenting.

P.S. There's a very fine line between spanking and child abuse.
Actually, spanking a young child does work. It will deter certain behaviors in most young children.

I am not saying that there might not be better ways to discipline a child, but spanking does deter some behaviors.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 AM

4,982 posts, read 1,260,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Actually, spanking a young child does work. It will deter certain behaviors in most young children.

I am not saying that there might not be better ways to discipline a child, but spanking does deter some behaviors.
It deters behavior, short term, and often at the cost of impairing long term psychological and cognitive development.
Quote:
Researchers say physical punishment actually alters the brain -- not only in an "I'm traumatized" kind of way but also in an "I literally have less gray matter in my brain" kind of way."Exposing children to HCP (harsh corporal punishment) may have detrimental effects on trajectories of brain development," one 2009 study concluded.
Quote:
The researchers also found "significant correlations" between the amount of gray matter in these brain regions and the children's performance on an IQ test.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/07/23/healt...ain/index.html

Yes, some children need spankings BUT crappy parents often fail to do it correctly. Parents often spank kids out of emotional anger or laziness with inappropriate "weapons" that leave bruises.

Just because we all got spanked, doesn't mean it's the proper way to do things.

Old Today, 04:06 AM

1,623 posts, read 708,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And putting lead in petrol "worked" too - in that it achieved the desired immediate results but at great long term cost and detriment. The question with a violence based approach to discipline therefore should go a little deeper than what merely "works".

Except they do not "need" it. Perhaps _you_ "need" to give them one because _you_ can not resolve the issue any other way. But that is your need not theirs - and many people deal with defiance in other ways too.

Well yes and no. We as a society _do_ step in and tell parents what they can and can not do in raising their children. And so we should. To a degree we raise them "the way we want" but there are limits to that and should be limits to that.

The "Well I turned out fine" approach you suggest to the discussion is a poor one. It is a self centred and unproductive line of argument. Thankfully there are more "big picture" approaches to many topics that go far beyond a few individuals saying "Well I am fine".

Sure - as is the notion that respect is to be earned not won through violence. And that someone who conducts themselves through - or resolved situations by - violence is likely not someone deserving of that respect.
What works for some may not work for others. Being all "psychological" about it gives the proponents of no spankings a "holier-than-thou" attitude that causes the arguments with proponents of spankings. IMO, that is the issue here.

Last edited by Remington Steel; Today at 04:20 AM..

Old Today, 04:23 AM

15,638 posts, read 9,217,508 times
This thread has run its course. Majority of posts now are merely anecdotal, chit chat, or are redundant - adding no new perspective/data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or