U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 AM

1,623 posts, read 708,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I would never beat my dog or cat. My dog weighs 25 pounds, my cat weighs 8 pounds, maybe. The dog get's a tap on the butt when he is really in trouble and those occasions are rare at best. Plus, I don't want my kid seeing me be mean to an animal. So to hit or even yell excessively at a dog or cat isn't setting a good example. We stress the importance of being kind to everyone and not hit anyone humans, dogs, cats etc...
MMM..ok...well I respectfully disagree with that. A pet can grow to have a conscious and they do realize right from wrong when raised in the proper environment. When ours is naughty, 9 times out of 10 she is doing something she already knows is wrong and is trying to be sneaky (you can see the guilt on her face after the fact), so she has to be reminded on occasion with a quick "tap" on the behind that it is not allowed.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,104,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Do you think that disciplining children should include some sort of physical punishment? I grew up in a family with parents and grandparents rooted in old school southern morals. The saying that I heard a lot growing up was "spare the rod and spoil the child". I was a well behaved child for the most part but still received my fair share of 'whippings'. Whippings were not the only form of punishment used and I do not feel as though I was abused...I actually think I learned a lot from my upbringing. However, now that I am at the point of starting a family of my own, I am not quite sure how I feel about the subject.

So, what do you guys think? Is it acceptable to physically discipline your children in a reasonable manner or is this type of punishment completely archaic and off limits? If you do not discipline your children physically what are the best ways to correct poor behavior? Lets debate...
No, although a tap on the write or arm can be very effective.

It is just a hard path to go down.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:00 AM

19,249 posts, read 9,067,774 times
Quote:
And your point is what exactly?
That you seem to be advocating something that borders on assault. Maybe there's a more appropriate choice of words?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,005,938 times
Quote:
Beatings are a tool. To remove them completely would put the parent at a disadvantage. I don't advocate beatings. But, when used as a deterrent and last resort they are effective.
Oh my God.

I was never beaten as a child and I have never struck my son. Were I that incapable of communicating with my child that I needed to beat him, I would have given him up for adoption first.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 AM

14,560 posts, read 11,645,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I'm sure that this is the case for a small fraction of parents but I think that for the most part people raise their children the way that they were raised. I'm not saying that this is right or fair but it can be difficult to see an issue with something if you have been submerged in it your entire life.
We can all change though.. and for the better....it things look normal and acceptable to people they will do it.. if not and frowned on then it stops.... its a learning process for parents .

Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Well, in my house, we "tap" our dog on the behind when she is doing something wrong or inappropriate. Of course, not hard enough to injure her, but hard enough to make her understand she is doing something wrong and to stop doing it. We still spoil her 90% more than we punish her and she understands that we protect, feed and love her (we are part of her "pack").
I dont and wouldnt hit my dog either.....

Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point is that there's a huge difference in how people generally perceive words such as hit, beat, spank, and swat. A light spanking...I have no problem. Hitting usually implies something different. Beating certainly does.
spanking for one parent is totally different to another but they seem to think its ok.... and its not. do you know how it affects a child mentally to be abused especially in public.. its humiliating and cruel.. and only serves to get the parents venom out on that child... abuse and only abuse.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
spanking for one parent is totally different to another but they seem to think its ok.... and its not. do you know how it affects a child mentally to be abused especially in public.. its humiliating and cruel.. and only serves to get the parents venom out on that child... abuse and only abuse.
This is an age old argument like many people mentioned before. What is acceptable for one parent/child may not be acceptable to another. We can argue the pros and cons until we are dead. It is best left up to THAT parent on how to discipline their children as long as the intentions are pure and moral and not pass judgement by stating general term accusations such as "abuse".

Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
This is an age old argument like many people mentioned before. What is acceptable for one parent/child may not be acceptable to another. We can argue the pros and cons until we are dead. It is best left up to THAT parent on how to discipline their children as long as the intentions are pure and moral and not pass judgement by stating general term accusations such as "abuse".
No Im sorry your wrong.... so its ok for us all to sit back if a child is being beaten on some parents moral high ground... thats old fashioned and a crime..and it is damn abuse...children are not a possession to do as you want with, its a young defenceless human being..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
No Im sorry your wrong.... so its ok for us all to sit back if a child is being beaten on some parents moral high ground... thats old fashioned and a crime..and it is damn abuse...children are not a possession to do as you want this, its a young defenceless human being..
What do you mean "parent's moral high ground"?

Are you saying that no matter what the child has done, it doesn't give the parent the right to punish their child with a spanking (like I said before, I don't use the term "beat")?

And like anything else in this world, there is a line drawn between a good "spanking" and just down right beating the living crap out of a child leading to unconsciousness. That's what I meant by intentions should be pure and moral if that is the parent's form of punishment. I would never say someone's parenting is "wrong" unless they crossed that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or