Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're using too general a term to have meaning.
Please give us the correct words to explain how spanking isn't physically hitting a child.

And a parent who needs to resort to physical violence to control their child might win a battle, but they will definitely lose the war.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:54 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Please give us the correct words to explain how spanking isn't physically hitting a child.

And a parent who needs to resort to physical violence to control their child might win a battle, but they will definitely lose the war.
My point is that there's a huge difference in how people generally perceive words such as hit, beat, spank, and swat. A light spanking...I have no problem. Hitting usually implies something different. Beating certainly does.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I've known kids who were heavily disciplined and turned out to be rotten. I've known kids who weren't disciplined much at all and turned out great.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Do you think that disciplining children should include some sort of physical punishment? I grew up in a family with parents and grandparents rooted in old school southern morals.
I draw several lines
you tell me which punishment you want

Very simple
Now .... I make sure that they have LOTS of freedom
But let's say, one of them punches me in the face = You know what's coming your way

Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Spare the rod, spoil the child still rings true 2,000 years later. If children knew a spanking awaited them from mom, dad, the teacher, the principle, and etc for their bad behavior, it would quell all of the problems we're seeing in schools now. Most children learn what's appropriate and respectful behavior from 1-10 and typically no longer need spankings past that. Alot of the time just the threat of a spanking is enough. But liberals, as usual, stuck their noses in where it didn't belong and not only ruined a world class Christian-based educational system but also the true authority of educators in the school system.
It has nothing to do with politics. At least not for me. I think that spanking is appropriate for some children in certain situations.

All I needed growing up was "the look" and knowing that it I did not stop doing what I was doing, a spanking was a definite possibility.

It was a possibility in my home, also. "Time out" just doesn't cut it sometimes.

I am politically left of center. So, please. Do not blame me.

ETA - to the OP - I would not rule it out. It does not have to be the only punishment you use, but I'd keep it as an option.

I also have another question - as a white woman raised in the North, the term "whipping" was never used.

When you use that term, do you mean slapping a child several times on the but with an open hand? Or do you mean using a whip or belt?

The former is the "dictionary definition" of spanking.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point is that there's a huge difference in how people generally perceive words such as hit, beat, spank, and swat. A light spanking...I have no problem. Hitting usually implies something different. Beating certainly does.
Muat be. We were spanked sometimes...more like a swat on the bottom when we did something seriously wrong. I did the same to my little niece when she almost ran in front of a car. I think the swats/spankings were for doing something dangerous that we should never do again.

It was rare and it was meant to teach us a very important lesson so that we would never do it again.

I never heard of anyone being beaten or whipped or slapped. Never saw it, never heard of it. And for the political people, I am a liberal. You need rules and to teach discipline or else you get a spoiled child and one who cannot control him/herself when they are older.

Anyone who really beats kids is going to produce an angry, rebellious kid who will grow to hate you and probably will enjoy breaking rules so much that they'll end up in jail!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:20 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
The thing is how can you really prove that spanking is the cause of kids having problems. It is not as easy as just saying 1+1=2. Do these studies account how many times the child was spanked in their life or how hard the spanking was it seems like they just want to lump all people being spanked into one category. Many of these studies tell us that spanking and the child having problems are related but they do not tell us how they are related.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 08-09-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Should disciplining your children include 'whippings', 'spankings' or 'beatings'
I'll go with spankings, because whippings hurt and beatings are just too violent.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It has nothing to do with politics. At least not for me. I think that spanking is appropriate for some children in certain situations.

All I needed growing up was "the look" and knowing that it I did not stop doing what I was doing, a spanking was a definite possibility.

It was a possibility in my home, also. "Time out" just doesn't cut it sometimes.

I am politically left of center. So, please. Do not blame me.

ETA - to the OP - I would not rule it out. It does not have to be the only punishment you use, but I'd keep it as an option.

I also have another question - as a white woman raised in the North, the term "whipping" was never used.

When you use that term, do you mean slapping a child several times on the but with an open hand? Or do you mean using a whip or belt?

The former is the "dictionary definition" of spanking.
The words beating, whipping and spanking were used interchangeably in my family and could vary in severity. My family is from North Carolina but I was raised in DC. In the case of my grandparents, whipping could refer to anything from a light swat up to retrieving a "switch" from a tree. As far as my parents, a whipping or a beating would mean a swat on the backside from their hand. It wasn't their only form of punishment and would only happen when needed.

I was always under the impression that these words were used as synonyms, at least in this regard. Realizing how much your upbringing affects your outlook is fascinating.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
This issue can be debated forever. I believe hitting is the easy way out -- no judgment, many times parents are tired. It's easier to spank than to say "no" and move the child back 100 times in 45 minutes! But it has always seemed to me that, for instance and as a common occurrence, hitting a child because they hit someone doesn't make sense.
True discipline takes time and patience and it is DIFFICULT. I was spanked as a child, and it was not child abuse...but I clearly remember the day my mother reached out her hand to caress my cheek and I automatically ducked away from her, because I was used to her slapping my face. Her expression was one of devastation...but what I did was a direct result of what she had done to me.
I also have learned that in a survey of people in prison, all of them guilty of any kind of violence, were hit as children. I'm not saying all kids who are hit end up in prison...BUT all those in prison were hit. It seems to be worth thinking about...All this is just my opinion, and I have no easy answers...the most perfect of child rearing is a crap shoot at best ... many abused children become stellar adults; many children raised in the very best environments turn out to be criminals or losers...we just all do the best we can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates