Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,789,703 times

Advertisements

All this no spanking nonsense...some kids need it. I spanked my kid until I didn't have to anymore, or when nothing else worked. Personally I see it as a last resort. Over here talking about spanking causes resentment, any punishment can do that. Think your kid won't hate you for taking their precious phone away?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,631,911 times
I just wonder if all those who spank do also to their cats and dogs?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:24 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,026,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Hitting a child is a crime..its bullying at its worst level.. To hit a child for any reason is the parent out of control, who thinks to hurt is the way to resolve an issue.. its not, it only causes hatred and resentment and that child then or can become a bully to other children and animals.. Ive said this before on here..... what would happen if you hit a stranger on the street who annoyed you..... you would be arrested.. but to even think of beating someone you are supposed to love is beyond me.... Do parents who beat their children feel good afterwards and get some deep satisfaction ...I often wonder..
Totally depends on a lot of factors. Just like many might say, I got my azz smacked as a child when I deserved it....I still loved my parents to death and I turned out a "good" person/citizen with no known psychological effects. And I also got a couple of spankings from the principal back in grammar school, which I can honestly say I deserved.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 08-09-2017 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, in my house, we "tap" our dog on the behind when she is doing something wrong or inappropriate. Of course, not hard enough to injure her, but hard enough to make her understand she is doing something wrong and to stop doing it. We still spoil her 90% more than we punish her and she understands that we protect, feed and love her (we are part of her "pack").

Last edited by Remington Steel; 08-09-2017 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,724,841 times
Beatings are a tool. To remove them completely would put the parent at a disadvantage. I don't advocate beatings. But, when used as a deterrent and last resort they are effective.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 PM

50,402 posts, read 23,978,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Beatings are a tool. To remove them completely would put the parent at a disadvantage. I don't advocate beatings. But, when used as a deterrent and last resort they are effective.
The definition of a beating is: "a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly."

Old 08-09-2017, 11:45 PM

23,930 posts, read 32,254,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
The words beating, whipping and spanking were used interchangeably in my family and could vary in severity. My family is from North Carolina but I was raised in DC. In the case of my grandparents, whipping could refer to anything from a light swat up to retrieving a "switch" from a tree. As far as my parents, a whipping or a beating would mean a swat on the backside from their hand. It wasn't their only form of punishment and would only happen when needed.

I was always under the impression that these words were used as synonyms, at least in this regard. Realizing how much your upbringing affects your outlook is fascinating.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Well, in my house, we ""tap"" our dog on the behind when she is doing something wrong or inappropriate. Of course, not hard enough to injure her, but hard enough to make her understand she is doing something wrong and to stop doing it. We still spoil her 90% more than we punish her and she understands that we protect, feed and love her (we are part of her "pack").
I would never beat my dog or cat. My dog weighs 25 pounds, my cat weighs 8 pounds, maybe. The dog get's a tap on the butt when he is really in trouble and those occasions are rare at best. Plus, I don't want my kid seeing me be mean to an animal. So to hit or even yell excessively at a dog or cat isn't setting a good example. We stress the importance of being kind to everyone and not hit anyone humans, dogs, cats etc...

Old 08-09-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The definition of a beating is: "a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly."
And your point is what exactly?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
The words beating, whipping and spanking were used interchangeably in my family and could vary in severity. My family is from North Carolina but I was raised in DC. In the case of my grandparents, whipping could refer to anything from a light swat up to retrieving a "switch" from a tree. As far as my parents, a whipping or a beating would mean a swat on the backside from their hand. It wasn't their only form of punishment and would only happen when needed.

I was always under the impression that these words were used as synonyms, at least in this regard. Realizing how much your upbringing affects your outlook is fascinating.
True, and I think that is why my parents never used the term "beat" because of the psychological affect I assume. We never used the word "beat" while raising our kids either. It was more "smack" or "pop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates