Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 AM

24,286 posts, read 9,172,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Schools make millions of dollars a year off of some of these high-level players, who receive tuition, books, food and room and board in return, but only rarely have enough time left over after work on the court to make the most of their time as a student.

An athlete talented enough to cash in on his ability should be allowed to do just that. Until then, we’ll have more scandals, and more surprise from the NCAA.
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...202272034.html

Interesting stance, as a former collegiate student athlete I know very well that many small schools can’t afford to pay their players.

While I understand the unfairness of broke college students bringing in tons of money for the school, I think at the end of the day the scholarship itself is worth a lot so long as you finish your education in a marketable degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,443,956 times
Well, imo, nothing is fair in life, we learn that pretty early on, so while its not fair for some schools, this isnt a reason to ban it though, cannot legislate everything be totally fair.

What I dont understand about college athletes and sports...how can the players miss so many classes? When I was in college, I had quite a few professors who were very strict on attendance, most restricted absences to 2-3, and that was even if it was an excused type absence like a doctor visit, etc, they would automatically fail you if you missed more than what they allowed.

I think its better to just pay them, instead of being sneaky about it, 'donating' money or other expensive gifts to family, as a sort of loophole around paying them directly, and even when they cracked down on 'gifts to family', now, they resort to 'anonymous trusts' and the like, as a way to funnel money to the athletes, so there is no real way to control that.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,769,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think its better to just pay them, instead of being sneaky about it, 'donating' money or other expensive gifts to family, as a sort of loophole around paying them directly, and even when they cracked down on 'gifts to family', now, they resort to 'anonymous trusts' and the like, as a way to funnel money to the athletes, so there is no real way to control that.
Agree. Somebody is thinking about starting a basketball league for young players, like a minor league. This might limit the "1 and done" farce.

As long as the people who don't earn the money get all the money, the temptation is there to make even more by sharing just a little of it, illegally, with the people who do earn it. Pay the guys what they're worth and stop the lie that is big time college sports.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 6,941,674 times
I love college football. But I don't understand how our institutions of higher education have gotten into the business of fielding semiprofessional athletic teams.

No admittance for athletes unless your test scores and GPAs meet at least the 25% percentile of that incoming freshman class. This way, we don't have functional illiterates entering college purely on their ability to catch a pass or hit a baseball. My daughter tutored athletes while going through college, and was shocked at some who could barely read or write a compete sentence. At the same time, it sends a signal to high school athletes that they better take their studies seriously.

No paying athletes. Anyone with an above average IQ should be able to see where this would go. There's already national insanity over some 5-star athlete choosing his college. Can you imagine how much worse it gets when he's playing for the highest bidder. Can you imagine? Most college athletic programs lose money as it is. I can't imagine how many more would be in the red if this idea gained legitimacy.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,921,855 times
yes.
and they are already.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,697,364 times
I am for dropping the entire involvement of universities in sports. If people want to play sports, there should be clubs or something around for them to join, leave the university out of it. Let the NFL start clubs if they need some sort of recruiting place to go for example.

College athletes are compensated, they get college, either a partial, no, or full scholarship. If they do not like it, they are free not to accept the offer.

If they start treating college like some minor league, that is exactly what it will become, and its popularity will dwindle as there is only room for one professional league in the respective sport. When people start viewing players not as college athletes, but as minor league players, that will mark the end of their popularity, just my opinion.

At that, I do not know why college athletes are getting singled out, numerous people work and create wealth for a company, yet only the select few executives are making a substantial amount of money.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,733,665 times
Yes. Pay them what they are worth.

Top tier college sports, particularly football and to a lesser degree men's basketball, is probably the closest thing we have to slavery today.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM

804 posts, read 394,439 times
The "free" education is there in words only when it comes to star athletes. These students spend so much time practicing, playing and traveling that there is barely anytime for academics. My understanding is that athletes aren't allowed to work. So in some cases they commit crimes to get money.

You have coaches making up to $11 million a year. They get it in cash to do as they please. The athlete is given a scholarship which in many cases is not taken advantage of. If the athletes had a choice, I bet they would prefer cold cash in the hand just like the coaches and institutions.

It seems very un-American for the institution and the coaches to be hauling off truck loads of money at the athletes' expense. Also, I don't think there is any other situation where someone's image can be used without cash compensation.
It boggles the mind that the courts have turned a blind eye to such injustice.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 11-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 11-15-2018, 07:09 PM

24,286 posts, read 9,172,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That's a good point. There are many loopholes and other stuff set up to bypass the rules, might as well embrace it an legalize it openly. There is no secret that boosters with endless money are largely behind this.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,697,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yes. Pay them what they are worth.

Top tier college sports, particularly football and to a lesser degree men's basketball, is probably the closest thing we have to slavery today.
Nothing close to slavery; do you need me to post some videos of these "slaves" being happy as hell when they get selected to play at a university?

Not one single person is forced to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
The "free" education is there in words only when it comes to star athletes. These students spend so much time practicing, playing and traveling that there is barely anytime for academics. My understanding is that athletes aren't allowed to work. So in some cases they commit crimes to get money.

You have coaches making up to $11 million a year. They get it in cash to do as they please. The athlete is given a scholarship which in many cases is not taken advantage of. If the athletes had a choice, I bet they would prefer cold cash in the hand just like the coaches and institutions.

It seems very un-American for the institution and the coaches to be hauling off truck loads of money at the athletes' expense. Also, I don't think there is any other situation where someone's image can be used without cash compensation.
It boggles the mind that the courts have turned a blind eye to such injustice.
None of them are forced to play. The coach gets paid a lot, and so do deans and other executives of universities, yet many, most students actually are paying to go there.

If the athletes do not like the terms and conditions to play, they can join the majority who do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates