Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,471,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point is that there's a huge difference in how people generally perceive words such as hit, beat, spank, and swat. A light spanking...I have no problem. Hitting usually implies something different. Beating certainly does.
Perhaps you should tell us exactly where you draw the lines between those categories. And how do you apply the distinction to the usage not only of the biblical "rod", but also the paddle, the bare hands, and the general object?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 AM

15,989 posts, read 20,969,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You know there is or you wouldn't have worded the topic the way you did. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't an ulterior motive to this thread. It would seem to me that anyone who tried to use the words interchangeably either doesn't know how to use words correctly or doesn't know how to use them honestly.

To answer your original question, even though I suspect it was a set up of some sort:

Whippings, no.
Beatings, no.
Spankings, yes.
People like to use the word beat because it justifies their sense of outrage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Perhaps you should tell us exactly where you draw the lines between those categories. And how do you apply the distinction to the usage not only of the biblical "rod", but also the paddle, the bare hands, and the general object?
whipping= use of a belt, switch, etc on the back, buttocks, and/or legs and usually leaves whelps, bruises and sometimes draws blood
beating= use of excessive force, generally anywhere on the face and body and causes moderate to severe injury
spanking= open handed swats on the behind meant to cause discomfort or painful stinging without any injuries

Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,023,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People like to use the word beat because it justifies their sense of outrage.

whipping= use of a belt, switch, etc on the back, buttocks, and/or legs and usually leaves whelps, bruises and sometimes draws blood
beating= use of excessive force, generally anywhere on the face and body and causes moderate to severe injury
spanking= open handed swats on the behind meant to cause discomfort or painful stinging without any injuries
This. Yes, I forgot to mention that a whooping or whipping usually consists of a belt or switch (small, thin tree limb) or in some cases a wooden spoon or paddle.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

18,052 posts, read 25,118,426 times
I don't care what anybody thinks,
I got whooped 1000 times and the only reason I had kids was to get that out of my system

Now I'm just waiting for them to mess up so I can finally feel better

Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM

50,344 posts, read 23,925,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Don't hype it up. I've never talked about the biblical rod or a paddle or any other physical object. In fact, if you actually read the thread, you'll see that while I condone an occasional light spanking, I also feel that most physical discipline is poorly conceived by a deficient parent.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM

26,646 posts, read 28,501,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
All this no spanking nonsense...some kids need it. I spanked my kid until I didn't have to anymore, or when nothing else worked. Personally I see it as a last resort. Over here talking about spanking causes resentment, any punishment can do that. Think your kid won't hate you for taking their precious phone away?
Exactly. It's either a last resort for some kids who just won't behave no matter what or it's a spur of the moment correction when a kid is going to run out into the middle of the road or touch a hot stove. It works because it's so immediate, dramatic, and the kid won't forget it. It's reserved for the very important stuff, like you REALLY never want them to do that again because they could hurt themselves.

Maybe the "science" behind spanking is that the more senses you appeal to, the better it works. Usually you are just teaching by appealing to their emotions, like taking their phone away or they can't go to play at their friend's tomorrow. You will have to do this over and over but eventually it usually works. If you raise your voice, it means they have done something more serious and combine that with taking their phone away and you're using two methods. You're denying them something they want plus you're making them sit up and take notice, perhaps scaring them a little bit with your voice. For the rare misbehavior where they might hurt themselves, you have to pull out all the stops when they are young to make 100% sure they understand.

That's what a swat on the bottom (spanking) does--it serves to reinforce what you have told them. NO! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! IT'S DANGEROUS!

And, for people who live in the south and said that beating, spanking, and whipping are the same to them--not where I come from! Spanking was permitted, one or two controlled spanks on the bottom.

Whipping was something that was done in the olden days--horrible, bloody, cruel, and meant to hurt and harm. I think of a slave as being whipped or a prisoner of war being whipped. Not done to kids.

Beating? that's something you hear about done in back allies in cities. People go to jail for that. Not done to kids.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

And, for people who live in the south and said that beating, spanking, and whipping are the same to them--not where I come from! Spanking was permitted, one or two controlled spanks on the bottom.

Whipping was something that was done in the olden days--horrible, bloody, cruel, and meant to hurt and harm. I think of a slave as being whipped or a prisoner of war being whipped. Not done to kids.

Beating? that's something you hear about done in back allies in cities. People go to jail for that. Not done to kids.
I agree. Where I come from, a "beating" signified bruises, perhaps even broken bones.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,137,641 times
Spanking is a form of punishment and should be used in the correct manner, when necessary.

By contrast, beating is a form of abuse which should never be inflicted upon a child.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:06 PM

564 posts, read 445,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To the OP...the point in this part of the forum is not to argue. It's to debate. There's enough unpleasantness.

Whippings? No. Agree
Beatings? No. Agree
Controlled spankings. On occasion. Agree

But I was a school teacher and principal, and we NEVER resorted to physical punishment. While an occasional controlled spanking may be called for by a parent, a wise and intelligent parent doesn't usually need to resort to even that.
7th grade. Teacher left room, some kids acted up. Principal entered, everyone silent. She walks over and smacks me! I was among the majority that had behaved.

Freshman year, first day in study hall. Kid across from me talking to me while teacher is yelling at everyone to shut up. He walks up behind me and smacks me! Hadn't said a word. And I was hardly a trouble maker.

Stuff happens. Just always bothered me. But I got away with plenty of stuff, so not complaining.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
7th grade. Teacher left room, some kids acted up. Principal entered, everyone silent. She walks over and smacks me! I was among the majority that had behaved.

Freshman year, first day in study hall. Kid across from me talking to me while teacher is yelling at everyone to shut up. He walks up behind me and smacks me! Hadn't said a word. And I was hardly a trouble maker.

Stuff happens. Just always bothered me. But I got away with plenty of stuff, so not complaining.
And as a retired principal, to me that principal should have been canned (or possibly caned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates