Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times

Advertisements

It was always my experience that the business and shopping districts had people of all colors. And white neighborhoods had a sprinkling of minorities. That is why it was so shocking to pass through a black area during the middle of the day without seeing a single white person on the street. It was like driving through a foreign country. I asked myself was that 5 mile stretch of Brooklyn that different from Johannisburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yet there are many areas, especially the central business districts of both New York and Kings County where always see an assortment of every ethnic group and white people. Also, you will find black people living in many "white" suburban areas but not too many blacks, or for that matter non-Hasidic Jews in New Square, Rockland County, New York.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:13 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
I think it telling that Obama got rid of the Churchill statue.
Never mind that what he did offended the British.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In the UK, people were banned from flying their own flag, the Union Jack, because it might offend immigrants. ?
That is going way too far to cater to other people.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...office-britain

You can fool someone not willing to do research but that doesn't fly here.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJ9ZoGjHnA

Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Where to draw the line? I consider myself moderate left and I've long been tired of political correctness. Certainly there are a few words and maybe some symbols that should be discouraged, but not many.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it and I don't know who is behind it or what their political agenda is.

In the UK, people were banned from flying their own flag, the Union Jack, because it might offend immigrants. Trying to understand that, I figured it was due to past guilt from way back when those countries were part of the Empire and were exploited by the British. So I put that down to guilt--it was unfair to the British though.

But it got worse and then I heard that maybe we weren't supposed to say Merry Christmas. I said it anyway, always have. No one ever used to be offended by it--if I said it to one of my Jewish friends back in the day, they just took it as, "have a nice day on Christmas." They could wish me a happy days for one of their religious days and I was fine with that too.

When did it change? And why? It's just silly bickering over words and a waste of time. People need to grow up and stop being "offended" by every little thing. Is this really something people want or is it some sort of political agenda that is beyond the scope of understanding for the majority of us?
I've been telling my friends about what happened in the UK - my family keeps me up on it - some ridiculous stuff! I've also noticed that whatever happens over there, eventually comes to the US. So, here we are! Hold on to your seats folks, you're in for an upsetting ride! I find it all very Orwellian .

Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The statues are not necessary. Take them down, auction them off, people can put them in their yards or their garden. If they want them.
i want one, robert e lee on the horse. hell i named my dog "rose e lee" after the greatest general

Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Didn't happen. There were two busts of Churchill in the White House. One was on personal loan to the Bush family--it had to be returned when they departed. The other bust that had been there since the 60s is still there.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Ah. I listed to the news and why am I not surprised the news was wrong. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
It was always my experience that the business and shopping districts had people of all colors. And white neighborhoods had a sprinkling of minorities. That is why it was so shocking to pass through a black area during the middle of the day without seeing a single white person on the street. It was like driving through a foreign country. I asked myself was that 5 mile stretch of Brooklyn that different from Johannisburg.
This video highlights some of the problem.
Being black v black, it's not "racist." But note the body language, incessant taunting, and aggressive posturing. Even the children are mimicking their parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMW9GEy8iZQ
. . .
Those who shun this type of behavior and culture are not "racists" - behavior is not a racial characteristic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates