Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more important?
Freedom of speech 212 95.07%
Avoiding offending others 11 4.93%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times

Advertisements

Freedom of speech! %100

To hell with people's "feelies". Nobody is ever, ever beholden to somebody else's sensibilities outside of professional settings.

I advocate being polite, but I will not censor anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Nah for once I agree with that poster violence is not justified unless said person goes to the synagogue to cause physical harm to the attendants.

However, the attendants and clergy or pastor can lawfully call for the removal of said person from the private grounds which is what synagogues are.
Oh, I agree that violence isn't the answer and I would not personally throw rocks unless it was in self defense.

But, I guess I'm saying that I do not feel bad for Nazis when they roll up on a synagogue and are met with the villagers throwing rocks at them while they wield their tiki torches and torment rabbis.

I hope that makes sense.

If this were a group of Nazis who rented a conference room someplace to meet and discuss their cruel agenda, and someone busted in and threw rocks, yes... I'd defend the Nazis there.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Freedom of speech! %100

To hell with people's "feelies". Nobody is ever, ever beholden to somebody else's sensibilities outside of professional settings.

I advocate being polite, but I will not censor anybody.
Agreed. As long as you agree that if a private citizen chooses to then write an article about how this "free talker" is a jerk, you don't get bent over their freedom of speech, either, then we're solid.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:41 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agreed. As long as you agree that if a private citizen chooses to then write an article about how this "free talker" is a jerk, you don't get bent over their freedom of speech, either, then we're solid.
I have always been the sort who lives by the following quote, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I am not joking when I say that recently I have been called both racist and a nazi for this principle.

I do wish we had a less biased media at large though. I feel as though the far left is taking overwhelming control of public consciousness. That lopsided outlook is dangerous no matter what way it swings.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:53 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
BOTH. There is a way to be nice and still get your point across.

Sometimes freedom of speech can go far too overboard just like people's rights.

Treat people the way you would want to be treated. Give and take and don't ask for special privileges. No double standards.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Without Freedom of Speech, we might still have slavery.

Abolitionists were considered to be highly offensive in their speech.

Same with people promoting rights for gays back in the 60s and 70s.
It was probably the militant wing of abolitionists--John Brown & his compatriots--who were considered inflammatory.

We obviously have freedom of speech. It only protects us against the government. The government has no right to stop Nazis from speaking. The People can take a stronger stand, and counter protest is certainly within the People's rights.

While initiating violence is a crime, let's not pretend that the Nazis haven't brought their own violence imitators to the recent spate of protests.

Let us also stand in judgment of the Nazi ideology, and condemn it.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:57 PM

67 posts, read 40,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
We obviously have freedom of speech. It only protects us against the government. The government has no right to stop Nazis from speaking.
But that's precisely what they tried to do. Charlottesville revoked a permit for the "Nazis" to peaceably assemble because they were offended by their message. It took a judge's order to reinstate it. So, it isn't obvious that we all have freedom of speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
While initiating violence is a crime, let's not pretend that the Nazis haven't brought their own violence imitators to the recent spate of protests.
It's also wrong, if not criminal, for the police to stand down or be ordered to do so because they disagree with the people who are being attacked. And what's a "violence imitator"?

Old 08-28-2017, 06:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
the bill of right are not people freedom, they are instruction for government. you can have freedom of speech and call someone a turd, and that turd can beat you to a pulp, that not freedom of speech. freedom of speech is when you call that gentleman a turd and the government doesnt arrest you for it, you can still be beating to a pulp but that another crime

Old 08-28-2017, 06:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The left-influenced college kids and social activists at Berkley and elsewhere - fail to recognize the contradiction in screaming about "Freedom of Speech" ... while doing everything in their power to suppress and eliminate any views different than their own.

Of course, that's largely what they are being taught by liberal professors, politicians and their minion media and biased, courts. Not sure where this all leads in the future, but, many of the historical American ideals of honesty, hard work and fair play are being squeezed-out of the public forum.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The left-influenced college kids and social activists at Berkley and elsewhere - fail to recognize the contradiction in screaming about "Freedom of Speech" ... while doing everything in their power to suppress and eliminate any views different than their own.

Of course, that's largely what they are being taught by liberal professors, politicians and their minion media and biased, courts. Not sure where this all leads in the future, but, many of the historical American ideals of honesty, hard work and fair play are being squeezed-out of the public forum.

I find it interesting that you only point out what the "liberal professors, politicians and their minion media and biased, courts" are doing and what its affect was. There are 2 sides to every story. And what I saw in Charlottesville by the Neo-Nazis and White supremacists was hardly conducive to freedom of speech of Black and Brown people, in particular. How would you feel if a cross was burned on your lawn?

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-28-2017 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates