Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more important?
Freedom of speech 212 95.07%
Avoiding offending others 11 4.93%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:33 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomenclature View Post
This is another nonsensical analogy. A more accurate one might be to consider this same 40-year-old, with a set of friends who have been rescued by his mother from abusive homes, given a safe comfortable place to live in her house, where she provides every need for them. This same 40-year-old then turns around and spits in his mother's face because she won't allow these same friends to smoke dope in her house.

Kaepernick never claimed that he wanted to 'improve race relations'; he asserted that America, as a nation, was oppressive to black people. I think that's an absurdity, but either way, no laws prevent anyone from leaving this country if they feel they are being oppressed.

Kaepernick claimed he didn't care if football was taken from him, or his endorsements, because he knew he was doing "what was right". Nothing substantial has changed, so why did he suddenly stop protesting, given that he has more support now than before?
Lol wut.

Jesus Christ the fact you think this way is telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM

67 posts, read 40,138 times
I didn't say he had disappeared, I asked why he was no longer engaging in his protest. Why do you think that is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
As for my analogy here is the real point. Just because America isn't as bad as some other countries doesn't mean it cannot improve. The love it or leave it argument is quite defensive and juvenile.
No one is suggesting that the US is perfect. Of course it isn't; every country can improve in one way or another. What's truly juvenile is to ignore the fact that Colin Kaepernick, and the people he purports to be protesting for, enjoy a lifestyle unequaled across the globe, all of it only made possible by the white people he seeks to demonize. Do you not recognize this?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I didn't say he had disappeared, I asked why he was no longer engaging in his protest. Why do you think that is?
You are inordinately hung up on this. The guy has effectively been blacklisted from the NFL. So how do you expect for him to continue his protests? Burning random American Flags and posting videos about it on YouTube?

Quote:
No one is suggesting that the US is perfect. Of course it isn't; every country can improve in one way or another. What's truly juvenile is to ignore the fact that Colin Kaepernick, and the people he purports to be protesting for, enjoy a lifestyle unequaled across the globe, all of it only made possible by the white people he seeks to demonize. Do you not recognize this?
By this reasoning, no black athlete should have ever spoken out against the oppression and injustices of black people because white people pay to watch them do what they do. Bill Russell and Muhammad Ali should've of just kept quiet and be happy while other blacks were getting mistreated.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:41 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
I didn't say he had disappeared, I asked why he was no longer engaging in his protest. Why do you think that is?No one is suggesting that the US is perfect. Of course it isn't; every country can improve in one way or another. What's truly juvenile is to ignore the fact that Colin Kaepernick, and the people he purports to be protesting for, enjoy a lifestyle unequaled across the globe, all of it only made possible by the white people he seeks to demonize. Do you not recognize this?
His "protest" was sitting out the National Anthem during games, and he hasn't played this year, good grief.

His lifestyle does not mean he gives up the rights all American citizens have to protest. You make it sound like he owes white people something, that he should be grateful to us as if we created his talent. Your attitude is much more anti-American than Colin's protest. My boyfriend and millions of other men fought overseas for him to have that right, and you sitting behind a keyboard think you love our country more than them? You are denouncing all they fight for in denouncing Colin's protest and suggesting he should leave.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Why is not offending others important at all? There are many people who deserve to be corrected, reprimanded, criticized, or otherwise made uncomfortable. Even insulting has a proper place, if a limited one.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
While I believe that freedom of speech is FAR more important than worrying about offending snowflakes, I also believe that our nation has gone too far with "freedom of speech". So much of what is considered "freedom of speech" is ridiculous. There is too much freedom of speech in America. When stupid egomaniac celebrities can call for a President to be assassinated, groups like Antifa are free to roam the streets, and people can burn the American flag- that is too much freedom. These people should be in prison. Either that, or deport them to N Korea where they will learn to appreciate freedom.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Why is not offending others important at all? There are many people who deserve to be corrected, reprimanded, criticized, or otherwise made uncomfortable. Even insulting has a proper place, if a limited one.
Seems quite misanthropic. Again legal freedom of speech is different from observing social norms and customs.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
While I believe that freedom of speech is FAR more important than worrying about offending snowflakes, I also believe that our nation has gone too far with "freedom of speech". So much of what is considered "freedom of speech" is ridiculous. There is too much freedom of speech in America. When stupid egomaniac celebrities can call for a President to be assassinated, groups like Antifa are free to roam the streets, and people can burn the American flag- that is too much freedom. These people should be in prison. Either that, or deport them to N Korea where they will learn to appreciate freedom.
In other words, things that personally offend you should be banned but things that offends others, they should just deal with it.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
In other words, things that personally offend you should be banned but things that offends others, they should just deal with it.
When you say "in other words", you tip your hand that you are going to change my words. No need for "other words"- mine will stand on their own.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sounds like you're the one who would rather live somewhere else to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates