Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
So you can tell when someone stands but is being disrespectful in their mind and heart then?

The outer trappings of "patriotism" are meaningless nonsense. Standing, sitting, kneeling, jumping on a pogo stick while sticking your tongue out - all equally meaningless.

I haven't stood for the National Anthem since I was a child. Songs don't matter. Flags don't matter.

People matter.
Yep.

I have told this story before, but I will tell you again that some of the people that I'm sure are REALLY TICKED OFF about football players taking a knee during the anthem were among the large group at the Tomb of the Unknowns who were loud, crackling plastic water bottles, laughing, and being highly disrespectful in the middle of July during the changing of the guard.

It was disgusting to me. People should behave respectfully in such a place or just not go there.

Yet, they're livid over football players not being respectful to a song right before they go beat each other up on the field.

Baffling.

Utterly baffling.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 PM

85 posts, read 176,887 times
With the OP, i'm not shocked. Considering that I spent nine active, twenty-six in reserves, have three Purple Hearts, I think I should be shocked and pi$$ed off but once again, i'm not. I see it as the deterioration of American society, perhaps most all of societies. I'm wondering how many of you that posted actually served. I've said it many times in the past, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but doubt I would do it again. If there was a full scale war where we had to win, I would happily serve even though i'm well in my 70's. Too many actions are started by politicians and finished by the regular people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
I don't stand for the national anthem, and I am not a patriot. This country is just somewhere where I happen to live, because it's where I happen to have been born. Beyond that, everything else about my residency here is nothing but an arrangement of mutual convenience. I pay taxes and help my community, and in return expect certain services and protections from my government. Nothing more or less than that.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:20 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
There is more than one way to be patriotic and at the end of the day if the most patriotic thing you do is recite a crappy poem before sporting events you are no patriot.

I say the pledge every day at work but that would be a meaningless gesture if I didn't back it up with action... What is disrespectful to our nation isn't kneeling for a song but rather all the people who have given up on providing, sacrificing, and caring for their fellow countrymen.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:29 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We can always love the origins of this country, and those that made it great, without approving of the way things are now. We can be critical of the ways of the country now, and detours away from the origins/beginnings, without being critical of the country. If someone is screwing up, we can point to their behavior, rather than the person. And we have the right to point out was is wrong with the country. That was written in early in the founding of this country. They didn't want a bunch of "yes people" to rubber-stamp foolishness.

I don't consider myself overly patriotic - at least not in a showy way, to appease others - but am thankful and grateful for the country. I'm as patriotic as I need to be, with the freedoms and liberties the country gives to each of us. I don't give a rat's @ss though if my appreciation or patriotism doesn't fit someone else's approach, or meets his or her checklist.
I think Kaepernick & other football players who have kneeled during the anthem--especially given the ancestry of many of these players--have reason to be critical not just of the way the country is now but also of its origins. The immediate source of protest is police brutality with disproportionate impact on Black and Hispanic people. But it's not difficult to pencil a line from police brutality to the pre-Civil Rights era, to Jim Crow, to Black Codes, and to slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You ask if it is unpatriotic to kneel during the national anthem, to me, it shows a lack of respect. Respect for the values we hold dear in this country, the respect for just how far we have come in this country, the respect to those who have given their full measure for this country. Agreed, one can call it a form of free speech, but at what cost has this free speech extracted from it's population, countless lives. So, IMO, to kneel during the national anthem is to give no meaning to those who have brought you what you have today.
Of course it is Free Speech. How can you suggest that this Free Speech has cost lives? It seems quite evident that this Free Speech is about lives unjustly taken.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
There is more than one way to be patriotic and at the end of the day if the most patriotic thing you do is recite a crappy poem before sporting events you are no patriot.

I say the pledge every day at work but that would be a meaningless gesture if I didn't back it up with action.
Great points. There seem to be two groups of people in this country concerning patriotism:

The superficial bunch that think that following the group and doing what others do makes them patriotic. It's about outward behaviors and actions; what others can see. It's about checking off a simplistic box that they marched along with others, and waved the same flag, and ended up just copying others.

Then there's the other group that isn't interested in cloning others and "being seen". It's a group that feels the depths and bounds of this country, and what it can entail, and isn't looking around to see how what others think of them. They're more interested in acting on their values, rather than just giving lip service. The group doesn't need to be seen and back-patted to feel worth. This group holds the deeper and truer spirit of this country.

The first group might be like a football game; interesting and maybe fun, but doing nothing productive or making a difference in society. The other might be like volunteering, or assisting others in some disaster. A difference will be made, and people truly benefit.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I don't love my country.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I don't love my country.
But you enjoy the freedoms that brave men and women who did love this country fought & died for.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
But you enjoy the freedoms that brave men and women who did love this country fought & died for.
How do you even know this to be true? "Enjoying of freedoms?"

Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Well, to begin with, the "brave men and women" didn't include women throughout much of our history. Some of them fought and died because they were drafted, not because they were high minded about saving the country. Many people served this country in many different ways and were just as important as soldiers -- teachers, ministers, miners, factory workers, teachers, doctors, etc.

I may be wrong, but I sense you are one of those who believe in "my country, right or wrong", when saying that really cheapens any sense of patriotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates