Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:04 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
But you enjoy the freedoms that brave men and women who did love this country fought & died for.
When was the last time we had to fight for our freedoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kneeling during the anthem? People kneel in church; it could be a sign of respect. But I guess we're supposed to stand during the anthem? IDK, I haven't been to an event where the anthem was played since I was a kid. I'm out of the loop. Why would people get all bent out of shape over someone kneeling for the anthem, yet defend the right to shout epithets and threats at others?

It's a crazy world.
Amen! Right on.

As a recovering catholic, I think kneeling is respectful. Now if the guy sat on his butt would be another thing.

I'm very patriotic. I cry when I hear the national anthem. Lots of relatives that went to war, thank God they all came back.

We got enough issues to worry about than something like this.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
I find it somewhat ironic that Colin Kaepernick originally was sitting on the bench.

Then some former military member who also played, I believe a short time in the NFL, convinced him to kneel instead as a *compromise* with some logic that it was still some sign of respect for military members, and that didn't help CK one, single, iota.

the same people who hated him before hate him now.

He came out so many times saying it wasn't about the military, but about police brutality and injustice but some people still want to make this about the military, its members, and patriotism.

that same crowd leans right, likes to call people whiners and tell them "get on with life you Snowflake"

well, it seems to me that crowd is it's own little version of a group of precious Snowflakes constantly trying to.... move the goalposts.... and make this issue about something it's not.

wanna talk about the real issue? wanna talk about police brutality? wanna talk about mass incarceration? wanna talk about innocent people being simply shot by police? (even pretty blonde Australians in their PJs in Minneapolis)

didn't think so.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:57 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

well, it seems to me that crowd is it's own little version of a group of precious Snowflakes constantly trying to.... move the goalposts.... and make this issue about something it's not.

wanna talk about the real issue? wanna talk about police brutality? wanna talk about mass incarceration? wanna talk about innocent people being simply shot by police? (even pretty blonde Australians in their PJs in Minneapolis)

didn't think so.
Exactly. Some of the same people on this forum who moan and groan and itch about aggressive protests about racial issues and preach that peaceful protest is okay, then moan and groan and itch about peaceful protests. In other words, they don't think that minorities should speak out at all.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Harming our waters, over taxation, poor laws, inequality toward our women, not to mention the transparent caste system.. this Just to name a few severely unpatriotic displays from our hidden figures. Lastly, wouldn't you consider pitting brothers and sisters of different pigmentation against one another for monetary gains unpatriotic and disrespectful to the nation's intellect?

Possibly, I am wrong but, I can not fathom how kneeling can be viewed as greatly unpatriotic while other more heinous acts go unquestioned and labeled.
Mass patriotism is not designed to make people think, to reflect, to question anything. Mass patriotism is designed to get people to follow without question, and to demonize anyone who doesn't go through the motions.

I'm glad you don't let the proponents of mass patriotism define your own patriotism. I myself have no more patriotism; something broke in me, and I just no longer feel membership. But I respect those who live a principled form of patriotism that involves living toward the national good, harmony, and acceptance. I think more of the patriotism of someone who picks up litter on a walk than I do of someone who stands up for the national anthem. The former takes a little work. The latter is just the path of doing what everyone else is doing. If that person does it at home when watching the same event on TV, now that I respect, because that's when it's not an exercise in mass conformity.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Those who make a big production out of using their celebrity to sit or kneel during the anthem or when the flag passes -- could simply bow silently and not place their hand over their heart. Instead, they go out of their way to make a public spectacle and draw attention to themselves --- and away from the symbols of our freedom. Of course this is unpatriotic, since true patriotism respects one's country.

The freedom to protest in whatever way one chooses, is part of the benefits of living in a free country that has been bought and paid for by true patriots who sacrificed themselves for others. Regardless of one's imagined grievance, it is misguided to protest the flag, anthem and true patriots ... and to demonstrate that disrespect before the entire world. (Just because they CAN do it without facing consequences, does not make it legitimate or right!)

None of these disrespectful individuals has an anchor attached to them. If they do not love and respect our country and flag, they are free to choose to live in a country, under a government and flag that better represents their personal interests. Nobody is forcing them to be free Americans!

Last edited by jghorton; 08-29-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Those who make a big production out of using their celebrity to sit or kneel during the anthem or when the flag passes -- could simply bow silently and not place their hand over their heart. Instead, they go out of their way to make a public spectacle and draw attention to themselves --- and away from the symbols of our freedom. Of course this is unpatriotic, since true patriotism respects one's country.

The freedom to protest in whatever way one chooses, is part of the benefits of living in a free country that has been bought and paid for by true patriots who sacrificed themselves for others. Regardless of one's imagined grievance, it is misguided to protest the flag, anthem and true patriots ... and to demonstrate that disrespect before the entire world. (Just because they CAN do it without facing consequences, does not make it legitimate or right!)

None of these disrespectful individuals has an anchor attached to them. If they do not love and respect our country and flag, they are free to choose to live in a country, under a government and flag that better represents their personal interests. Nobody is forcing them to be free Americans!
No. True patriotism is following one of the best points the Floundering Fathers made -- that we need to form a more perfect union. They knew the job was not over when the Declaration Of Independence and Constitution were penned. They knew it would be a continuing struggle.

There is nothing more important than freedom of thought and freedom of expression in our version of democracy (and I'm not going to get hung up on whether this is a democracy or a republic, so don't go there with this post). "My country, right or wrong" is just plain wrong. It shows no moral compass whatsoever, and simply goes along with "Might makes right" thinking.

Your post is so full of contradictions it isn't even funny. In paragraph one you decry protest. Then in paragraph 2 you support protest. In your last paragraph you basically say "love it or leave it". Well, go ahead. You love the way this country operates, or leave it. Does that work for you?

The point is, no one has to love this country or leave it. You can't make something better if you just constantly overlook the grievances millions of Americans have.

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-29-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
True patriotism is following one of the best points the Floundering Fathers made -- that we need to form a more perfect union. They knew the job was not over when the Declaration Of Independence and Constitution were penned. They knew it would be a continuing struggle.
Well said.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well said.
Thank you.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Why would you guess, and not listen to his words?

Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem - NFL.com

I mean, I guess he could unroll a big banner during the national anthem, but I don't think that'd go over better
That's not a protest as much as trying to be annoying. Guess he was successful (the annoying part).
1) I heard Jessie Jackson saying the decision not to sign him by a NFL team is a "political" decision. What is kaepernick's "protest" if not political?
2) it's annoying in particular since it's coming from a "privileged" man, with a white biological mother and white adopting parents that raised him. Is he protesting against them?
3) Putting aside the propaganda (yes, involving the national anthem is propaganda) - I think that the black community has a valid point regarding police brutality (in many cases). This should be addressed by the authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates