Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
So, you are saying that the people involved in those events fall under "and has done nothing positive".

If you are saying that some of the people involved were motivated by reasons that were not patriotic, you would be right. But to know which you would have to be a mind reader or you would have to know their lives otherwise.
But I am certain that those events were driven by patriotic feelings because we have their writings and know their actions from historical events that they certainly were not to be called "and has done nothing positive.
1. Wouldn't you say that whether their actions were viewed as negative or positive would depend on one's viewpoint at the time. There were many Loyalists in the colonies.

2. There's a difference between the leaders and the followers. I imagine many of the followers were simply up to no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 PM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
I am sick of military personnel being used as props at sporting events. I do not give a rip who stands, sits or picks their nose at events where professional athletes who are paid far more than most of the people who watch them. If the military people participate voluntarily then ok, but if they are required to do it then I say humbug! We have turned the flag into an advertising gimmick. Note the big flags at car lots. We have turned the anthem into a screeching noise sung by someone who cannot get it right no matter how many extra notes they squeeze in (apologies to musicians who understand the process). We have a warped sense of patriotism. For me it usually comes down to "rich man's war and poor man's fight". That is the patriotism I see going on. Humbug on that one too.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Having served in the military for over 20 years, I have no issue whatsoever with these displays during the anthem. I don't find it demeaning to my service one bit. Just as I don't find it demeaning by those millions who don't believe in the military or those that serve. Peaceful protest is one of the things that makes this country unique.

What I find offensive is the playing of the anthem before sporting events at all. Why are we one, if not the only, country in the world that does this? The anthem should not be used to glorify games where a select, talented few are immortalized, glorified and paid obscene amounts of money to entertain the masses.
I've notice that when it comes to veterans not all of them have the same idea of patriotism and many don't have the same 'Murica' right or wrong "wavin' muh gun and muh flag everywhere" idea of patriotism that you see from some civilians nowdays. What I find interesting about this is you have folks here who have never served getting offended on behalf of veterans. Many of whom who really aren't offended by the protests.
For example:

https://theundefeated.com/features/a...in-kaepernick/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I am sick of military personnel being used as props at sporting events. I do not give a rip who stands, sits or picks their nose at events where professional athletes who are paid far more than most of the people who watch them. If the military people participate voluntarily then ok, but if they are required to do it then I say humbug! We have turned the flag into an advertising gimmick. Note the big flags at car lots. We have turned the anthem into a screeching noise sung by someone who cannot get it right no matter how many extra notes they squeeze in (apologies to musicians who understand the process). We have a warped sense of patriotism. For me it usually comes down to "rich man's war and poor man's fight". That is the patriotism I see going on. Humbug on that one too.
And you've hit the nail on the head. Marketers have used this shallow patriotism as an opportunity to sell pins, ribbons, flags and other American branded memorabilia. Patriotism has become commercialized just like much of everything else in American society. You would think that would be more troubling to the e-patriots we have here on C-D then not standing before the flag.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:18 PM

574 posts, read 382,241 times
Hmmm... Is it unpatriotic? I would say no, its freedom of speech... perhaps it's a bit of a gray area when it's done while being paid by a private employer though. Even then, just because you have free speech doesn't mean that people can't ridicule you or your words/actions

Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
The way I understood it about Kaepernick and kneeling had a lot to do with GF Nessa Diab . She is very controversial and actually an agitator in my view. Colin Kaepernick's Girlfriend Nessa Diab Tweets 'Django' Comparison at Ray Lewis | Bleacher Report

Now what is wrong with Lewis liking the owner of the Ravens? They don't see color. That's a good thing. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates