Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
First off, no matter what happens to the person in your case from your post it seems it will never make you feel better or happy and it will never be enough.
Secondly, what is a "true sex offender"?

Third, as with everything there has to be a balance in what happens. If you're not going to put people away for life then at some point they've served their sentence and as per our constitution should be able to move on as much as possible.

Should there be a LEO list? Okay, sure, but it serves nobody except those who profit off of it for there to be a public one.
I'm not the poster you quoted, but I think a "true sex offender" is one who has non-consensual sex or sexual contact with children or adults. Consensual sex with teens of a certain age is the gray area and I don't think all people who do that are true predators, but it (to me) depends on the situation so I won't write them off completely. I also don't think those cited for peeing in public and make their way into the registry (unless their intention is to have children see them), stuff like that, are the offenders or predators. I've worked with law enforcement and the law in sexual assault and child abuse cases and it's horrible. There are some absolutely terrible people out there and most people don't know the half of what goes on in their communities. And a lot of these people never change.

I agree with that poster. These true offenders, true predators, cannot be reformed. I'm not sure a registry is the answer, because I agree with those who say it's a false sense of security for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree. There are types of sex offenders where it's not a crime they commit but the person that they are.
I don't think that includes 20 year old guys having sex with 16 year old girls.

The people who it's more who they are...I think an internet page with their name and address is not nearly enough. It's a cop-out to make you feel like someone is doing something.
Agree.

Quote:
First off, no matter what happens to the person in your case from your post it seems it will never make you feel better or happy and it will never be enough.
Secondly, what is a "true sex offender"?

Third, as with everything there has to be a balance in what happens. If you're not going to put people away for life then at some point they've served their sentence and as per our constitution should be able to move on as much as possible.

Should there be a LEO list? Okay, sure, but it serves nobody except those who profit off of it for there to be a public one.
"It seems like it will never make you happy..." Seriously? Should there be a point where I am happy about child rapists? And no, child predators should never be able to "move on". Victim or not, I want to know where the sickos live so I can protect, as much as possible, other children.

People that want these people to get a second chance truly make me wonder. Let me guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not the poster you quoted, but I think a "true sex offender" is one who has non-consensual sex or sexual contact with children or adults. Consensual sex with teens of a certain age is the gray area and I don't think all people who do that are true predators, but it (to me) depends on the situation so I won't write them off completely. I also don't think those cited for peeing in public and make their way into the registry (unless their intention is to have children see them), stuff like that, are the offenders or predators. I've worked with law enforcement and the law in sexual assault and child abuse cases and it's horrible. There are some absolutely terrible people out there and most people don't know the half of what goes on in their communities. And a lot of these people never change.

I agree with that poster. These true offenders, true predators, cannot be reformed. I'm not sure a registry is the answer, because I agree with those who say it's a false sense of security for the most part.
Exactly. Agree!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
A....

People that want these people to get a second chance truly make me wonder. Let me guess...

...!
Totally uncalled for.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Agree.

"It seems like it will never make you happy..." Seriously? Should there be a point where I am happy about child rapists? And no, child predators should never be able to "move on". Victim or not, I want to know where the sickos live so I can protect, as much as possible, other children.

Exactly. Agree!
I probably should have worded that better and actually said "whatever happened to your abuser, it will probably never be enough to sooth your mind". Sorry if my prior answer offended, it was not the intent to minimize your angst/pain.

You knowing "where sicko's live" does nothing to protect anyone for all of the reasons that've been clearly pointed out throughout this thread. One also has to have some faith in the justice system. With certain exceptions of some really bizarre outlier cases if a person is sentenced to let's say 2 years or less in jail and a year or two of probation does that person deserve to be punished for life? The courts certainly didn't think so given the sentences can go up to 60 years/life.

Shouldn't there be a ranking of offenses like there is with every other crime including murder? Why does someone who's committed one of the most heinous of crimes, like killing or torturing a child (since we'er so focused on kids) get to walk away after his/her sentence is done? THEY KILLED SOMEONE.
People who've actually tortured someone can do their time and pffft that's it. Is that someone you want living next door without knowing?

Did y'all know that there's one other registry in many states and that one is for drug offenders. Some locations it's public and some it's just for LEO use.
I wonder why nobody talks about that one and not wanting "those people" around kids and young adults? Not sexy enough for the news?
Not pulling at the heart strings enough to vilify even though they kill,maim and destroy way more lives on a yearly basis?

I don't think it's fair or right to have someone finish their state mandated punishment/debt to society only to be punished for the rest of their lives by their neighbors even if they do no further wrong. \
If that's truly the case, keep them on parole/probation forever or carve out a place where they all have to live forever. In fact, all you have to have nowadays is the mere accusation to be ruined.

There is no other crime no matter how heinous that's treated this way. I wonder why that is?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
When I initially read this, I assume you were exclusively responding to what was in read and were saying that you thought people who did not believe liberty should be placed on registries, which I found to be comically ironic.

Per that person's point, placing people on registries is more of a comfort than an actual defensive tool. Let's assume the worst for a moment; do you sincerely believe that some evil, child raping, monstrosity wouldn't be willing to rape again just because you could see were they live on a map?

It also assumes that child molester can only act in an 5 mile radius around their house.

Sex offender registries are largely pointless. They serve to humiliate former sex offenders, not to protect people. And I don't think that justice should involve something like that, especially not after an official sentence has been completed.
I personally think that child molesters should be executed. But since they aren't, registries are the next best thing with a bit of tweeking.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:15 PM

67 posts, read 40,105 times
Quote:
Sorry but as a victim of years of childhood sexual abuse, your posts come across as you care more about predators that destroy children's lives with their sick sexual perversions than innocent victims.

What if it were your daughter? "Oh well, he raped my kid but he served his sentence. Carry on."

True sex offenders DESERVE LIFE TIME punishment like their victims have to deal with...They are NEVER reformed. NEVER.

It makes me curious why you are soooo concerned about these POS futures. Hmmmmm...

They're scum. Who cares?
I understand this is a personal issue to you and I'm sorry you were victimized, but your implication that this is a personal issue for me in some way is out of line.

Again, if you want to posit that true sexual predators should receive lifetime sentences, I wouldn't disagree with you. That's not the issue here.

If you read my OP and other posts, you should understand the issue is that I believe it is wrong and unconstitutional to continue to punish someone, anyone, after they have served their sentence. As it is, sex offenders are the only ones we do this with. If we did it to any other type of offender, I would argue the exact same point.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:55 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
You knowing "where sicko's live" does nothing to protect anyone for all of the reasons that've been clearly pointed out throughout this thread. One also has to have some faith in the justice system. With certain exceptions of some really bizarre outlier cases if a person is sentenced to let's say 2 years or less in jail and a year or two of probation does that person deserve to be punished for life? The courts certainly didn't think so given the sentences can go up to 60 years/life.
<aybe the fact that sickos know they are on the registry may keep some of them on their best behavior. Even if it cuts recidivism by 20% that's still a major gain.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
<aybe the fact that sickos know they are on the registry may keep some of them on their best behavior. Even if it cuts recidivism by 20% that's still a major gain.
Really? That's what you want to use as justification? Well then, why not ALL criminals or is it okay for every other criminal to repeat their crimes? How about Pimps who beat their women,shouldn't they be stopped? How's about people that prey on the elderly, shouldn't they be stopped? What about serial wife abusers? I could go on and on with a list of crooks that commit vile crimes...

I think hypocrites should be stopped!

Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Where did you come up with that number?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:36 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Really? That's what you want to use as justification? Well then, why not ALL criminals or is it okay for every other criminal to repeat their crimes? How about Pimps who beat their women,shouldn't they be stopped? How's about people that prey on the elderly, shouldn't they be stopped? What about serial wife abusers? I could go on and on with a list of crooks that commit vile crimes...

I think hypocrites should be stopped!
Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. Maybe previous convicts have some likelihood of committing a crime greater than the national average? Except for juveniles convictions are and should be of public record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Admittedly arbitrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Admittedly arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates