Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I want more player protests in the NFL not less, social activism rocks! change begins at home, or in this case...the end zone
I thought you were joking till I saw where you lived.
Social activism turns everybody off. If you don't watch football you won't start because of some political shenanigans for 5 seconds at the beginning of a 4 hour game. If you do watch football, its possible you might stop and do what I do and just look up the scores later. The NFL is a business that has everything to loose and nothing to gain from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I'm not buying the NFL demise either. Every Sport was supposed to die off at some point, and yet it always bounces back. Even people saying Boxing is dead, all you need is one good fight and everyone is packing a bar or having a pay per view party for the big fight. The NFL is getting a lot of bad press, and yes the ratings are down, but the ratings are still high, the Revenue is still coming in like crazy, and as long as there is gambling, Football will always be around. And also as much as the NFL may be getting bad press, and so called losing popularity, their pipeline college football is sky high. And as long as that pipeline keeps churning out players, that's another reason the NFL is going to be around for a long time.
There was a time when baseball was America's sport. Then football took over.
A few realities to recognize here:
1) NFL got political. Blame Kaepernick. The NFL used to be all about the flag, air force flyovers, and police and military at half time. Then one moron decided to disrespect the only thing all Americans have in common and the media gave him too much attention. Some of the NFLs biggest fans started a boycott. Politics isn't welcomed in any sport anywhere in the world. (he's a moron because he disrespected the country, did not consider the negative impact to his employers, team, or his own career, and did nothing to further his "cause").
2) NFL being a business not liking negative press, blacklisted Kaepernick. BLM then started a boycott.
3) Some players started kneeling in support of the first moron who started all this. Trump then called them out and called for a boycott among Trump supporters ( almost half the country). Now everybody has a reason to boycott.
4) The entire world is into soccer and the US is a nation of immigrants. Immigrants all follow soccer and reproduce much quicker than Americans.
5) Soccer is far less dangerous than football. Modern parents are helicopter parents who won't let their kids play outside the house much less get concussions for fun. The next generation is more into soccer than football.
6) Millennials have a short attention span. Football takes about 4 hours. Millennials don't have patience for that. Look at the decline of golf for more reassurance that long sports are no longer valued.
7) Modern people of every sort have the ability to pause live TV, get some more queso dip, fast forward commercials, then stare at their iPhones during the boring parts of the game. The NFL gets money from commercials that nobody is watching. The ads generating revenue are on cell phones.

This is the money World Cup Soccer has got going for it: Fifa World Cup 2022 stadiums

Old 09-24-2017, 02:32 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I want more player protests in the NFL not less, social activism rocks! change begins at home, or in this case...the end zone
If I'm going to watch a football game, that's what I want to see. I DON'T want to see someone make some kind of political statement, whether I agree with it or not. It's not the time or the place, and this refusal to stand during the National Anthem is just plain ugly.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
If I'm going to watch a football game, that's what I want to see. I DON'T want to see someone make some kind of political statement, whether I agree with it or not. It's not the time or the place, and this refusal to stand during the National Anthem is just plain ugly.
Exactly. We'd just set up a blimp with a camera focused on aerial shots of Berkeley California and get queso dip and chicken wings if we wanted to watch a bunch of political BS go down.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
How come you all didn't object to the flamboyantly pious Tim Tebow? He was constantly "taking a knee."
What a clown he was.
Where is Tebow now; coaching a bible-school dodgeball group?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
How come you all didn't object to the flamboyantly pious Tim Tebow? He was constantly "taking a knee."
What a clown he was.
It’s not what you do but why you’re doing it.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:11 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
What a clown he was.
IIRC, Tebow was kneeling to show submission to his God, and to talk (pray) to said God.
That is, after all, what kneeling and bowing ones head is all about: To show submission.
Apparently, the current crop of "protesters" aren't smart enough to realize that they are actually showing abject submission to the Flag, the National Anthem, and the United States of America!
Personally, I would rather watch Bocce or Croquet than football, and I find bowling just a little more exciting than baseball!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
There was a time when baseball was America's sport. Then football took over.
A few realities to recognize here:
1) NFL got political. Blame Kaepernick. The NFL used to be all about the flag, air force flyovers, and police and military at half time. Then one moron decided to disrespect the only thing all Americans have in common and the media gave him too much attention. Some of the NFLs biggest fans started a boycott. Politics isn't welcomed in any sport anywhere in the world. (he's a moron because he disrespected the country, did not consider the negative impact to his employers, team, or his own career, and did nothing to further his "cause").
2) NFL being a business not liking negative press, blacklisted Kaepernick. BLM then started a boycott.
3) Some players started kneeling in support of the first moron who started all this. Trump then called them out and called for a boycott among Trump supporters ( almost half the country). Now everybody has a reason to boycott.
4) The entire world is into soccer and the US is a nation of immigrants. Immigrants all follow soccer and reproduce much quicker than Americans.
5) Soccer is far less dangerous than football. Modern parents are helicopter parents who won't let their kids play outside the house much less get concussions for fun. The next generation is more into soccer than football.
6) Millennials have a short attention span. Football takes about 4 hours. Millennials don't have patience for that. Look at the decline of golf for more reassurance that long sports are no longer valued.
7) Modern people of every sort have the ability to pause live TV, get some more queso dip, fast forward commercials, then stare at their iPhones during the boring parts of the game. The NFL gets money from commercials that nobody is watching. The ads generating revenue are on cell phones.

This is the money World Cup Soccer has got going for it: Fifa World Cup 2022 stadiums
Historically, baseball has always been seen as the "slow sport," but some changes have been introduced to heighten the pace of play and ultimately shorten games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/s...d.html?mcubz=1

I agree that the length of a football game is a problem. I went to the University of Tennessee game Saturday. That was a 3.5 hour game that was only televised on the SEC Network.

Reviews, incomplete passes stopping the clock (the worst IMO), running out of bounds to stop the clock, three timeouts per team per half, TV timeouts - all of this leads to a choppy play that can drag on four hours.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
What a clown he was.

Actually there was a lot of mocking. Tebow was preposterously narcissistic doing that. That's right, the creator of time, the universe, existence is going to intervene in some silly sporting event between two teams in the country called America to ensure Tebow gets his score - meanwhile letting millions of children starve to death in Africa and countless millions die of cancer before their time, and wars spreading over the globe, Yes, that's what He was doing - checking in with Tebow. People seeing it as saying thanks when in fact it was a ridiculously self-important ostentatious act.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The thing that will make it fade away are the mothers of today that won't let their kids play football out of fear they might get hurt. We might see a reduction in talent but there will always be those who are willing to risk their health. The NFL for many is a way out of a bad situation and a path to riches.

The NFL is like modern day Gladiator games and the fans love it. The games are unscripted dramas with fast paced explosive excitement every time that ball is hiked. Hollywood couldn't have written the improbable epic comeback of the Patriots this past SuperBowl.

As long as the fans keep buying tickets and gear the games will go on and as long as their are skilled players willing to play I will keep watching.
Boxing, Kickboxing, and MMA are modern day Gladiator games. Rugby is more of a gladiator game than football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates