Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well once self driving cars hit the roads, auto insurance will be a moot topic.

I would bet my grandkids will see the day when they are reminiscing about the days when people had to drive cars manually.

Insurance companies have to know their days are numbered, even right now, trucking industry is very close to being obsolete, I guess we will see how it goes in regards to insurance when self drive trucks take over, but I cant see anyone justifying continuing to pay the same kinds of premiums when no human is doing the driving.

I guess they could still insure the individual cars, but it would be nothing like the policies we have now.

Just look at the number of vehicles that have recalls every year. There will surely be errors with these cars and therefore insurance will still be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Such is the case in every state.
Insured drivers tend to be more careless than the uninsured, as the uninsured understand the dire consequences of even a no-fault accident.
I am sure it is, but the way you put it you make it sound like not having car insurance in NH is of no consequence if you get into an accident. As far as your claim that uninsured drivers tend to me more careful than insured drivers is just false. They call them "accidents" for a reason.
You only mentioned " such is the case in most states" after I called you out on it.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:55 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,682 times
Quote:
Only New Hampshire does not require either insurance or a cash deposit in lieu of insurance.
They don't care for government intrusion in that state, there are no seatbelt laws for adults, nor helmet requirements for bikers.

For real?
For years I said that if I ever decided to leave London, I’d only consider S.W. France, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Montpelier etc., as it’s warm, and I can speak the language, but my wife has always said, “If we hit the Lotto, it’s Naples FL, or Padre Island TX, or at a push, Lake Charles LA, it’s warm, and she can understand Confederate speak.
But as seatbelts drive me nuts, and I’ve paid mandatory vehicle insurance in the U.K. for 50 years and never had a claim, or even one had against me, I think I could take a crack at N.H., and be an honorary Yankee.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
For real?
For years I said that if I ever decided to leave London, I’d only consider S.W. France, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Montpelier etc., as it’s warm, and I can speak the language, but my wife has always said, “If we hit the Lotto, it’s Naples FL, or Padre Island TX, or at a push, Lake Charles LA, it’s warm, and she can understand Confederate speak.
But as seatbelts drive me nuts, and I’ve paid mandatory vehicle insurance in the U.K. for 50 years and never had a claim, or even one had against me, I think I could take a crack at N.H., and be an honorary Yankee.
I agree on the seatbelts, its amazing to me, they will allow a motorcyclist to ride without a helmet but then require a seatbelt in a normal car, that makes no sense at all. Im surprised insurance companies didnt try to fight for the helmet laws, but even more surprising, motorcycle insurance, even full coverage is extremely cheap, but they are much more dangerous than a passenger car...go figure?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:34 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
For real?
I built half of Naples, not much to see there.

"Instead of mandatory insurance, New Hampshire has a ‘Financial Responsibility’ law. If an uninsured driver causes an accident, they are then required to post a bond or cash equal to the amount of damage caused by that accident.
If an uninsured New Hampshire driver causes personal injury or over $1,000 in property damage, the state can suspend their driver’s license and registration privileges."
New Hampshrie Auto Insurance Law: Car Insurance Not Required

Old 11-03-2017, 06:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,682 times
Quote:
I built half of Naples, not much to see there.

"Instead of mandatory insurance, New Hampshire has a ‘Financial Responsibility’ law. If an uninsured driver causes an accident, they are then required to post a bond or cash equal to the amount of damage caused by that accident.
If an uninsured New Hampshire driver causes personal injury or over $1,000 in property damage, the state can suspend their driver’s license and registration privileges."
New Hampshrie Auto Insurance Law: Car Insurance Not Required

In all honesty Sunbiz, I’ve never wanted to see much whenever we were in Naples FL.
We’ve rented a few different vacation homes on the Lely Estate, off the Tamiami Trail, and all I was interested in, was sitting around the pool after coffee and cinnamon bagels, nursing grapefruit or mango juice all morning, waiting until 12.30-1.00 p.m. to fix a pitcher of margaritas.
My wife would disappear to either 5th. Ave. South, the Waterside Shops, or maybe Tin City after breakfast.
If she was feeling energetic, she’d slide off to Marco Island, but in the evening, after I’d slept off the Jose Cuervo, we’d go to Bleu Provence, or Sea Salt for dinner.
She would get a little emotional when we’d drop the rental off at RSW to catch a flight to Atlanta to connect with the big silver bird taking us home to London.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
I don't think financial responsibility laws are bad. Insurance isn't the only way to meet that ; most states allow self-insurance...but the amounts are so low that it leaves the liable party "naked" and anyone they harm may not be made whole, which is a problem.

I think insurance is not an unreasonable way to meet the requirements for financial security, as most people can't put up hundreds of thousands of dollars of bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates