Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 AM

115 posts, read 82,537 times

Advertisements

If we all stop and think for a minute, you'd realize that professional sports is actually the PERFECT platform form major issues to be brought to light, heres why: Pro sports teams, like its players are a representative of the city where the team is based, like it or not. The team is there to provide entertainment for their respective city but it is also a major source of revenue among other things. Imagine if the players, who we have established are mostly black, decided to protest football because they felt so strongly that their protest was still not being taken seriously? I think it would be safe to say we probably would not be able to hold a game at that point. In turn, that results in revenue losses for the team, which then trickles down to the cities that depend on it, the vendors and stadium workers who depend on it, etc, etc. In my heart I truly dont believe we are ready as a nation to give up football on a part of this as much as some people talk about it. Further, if you think the owners of the teams wont side with the players in that situation, think again. They are there to protect the money first, not peoples misconceptions about political movement. They will do everything possible to keep players on the field even if that means getting out there on a knee along with them. We saw this last week Dallas owner Jerry Jones who was the first to shun anyone who "disrespected the flag". Yet, just weeks later we see him on a knee with his players as a "compromise". Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 AM

FYI, the NBA season opener is just a few weeks away. If major change doesn't come, prepare to see more protests. The NBA plays every night from November to June. Those of you who oppose best find something else to watch.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The NFL is made up of mostly black players, about 70%. When I read that it made me think that the NFL should be required to implement affirmative action....

There is a race problem in America and there always will be. it is human nature to question or even fear something that is different than you and it certainly does not help the issue when the media broadcasts young black guys and gals violently protesting, looting, burning and acting like fools over something that white people don't understand.

The cause for much of this strife starts at home with poor families that often lack a father figure and the kids growing up on the streets. Many of them see no way out besides sports or music and the odds are against them so they turn to crime, drugs and they make poor choices.
I guess we could call this a perpetuating stereotype and it is hard to do anything about it.

In a way they are protesting America but the African American community needs to get its act together.

Many years ago in America there used to be signs up at places which read "No Blacks and No Irish" . These signs barred both groups from entering an establishment or seeking employment. The people feared what either group could do but somehow the Irish were able to overcome this bias by working hard. My wife is from Ireland and she loves America, she gets it but there are times when she is looked down on by people but most people like her accent and her upbeat fun attitude. She still occasionally gets stupid remarks from people such as "oh your Irish, you must love to get drunk". Yeah that is pretty ignorant and for the record she doesn't drink but she is leading by example.
She sees herself as an ambassador from her country and she always acts to portray a positive image.
I think black people need to do this and people will become more accepting.

The change starts at home.
Difference is, after one or 2 generations you can't tell someone is irish, not all irish people have red hair and green eyes, many irish back in the day would change their names. and yes on the east coast I still heard a lot of irish jokes. but you can't compare an immediately identifiable minority with an ethnic minority who does not look different from the majority.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The black players are protesting because they think that America is letting them down. They don't like Trump and they don't like Police using deadly force on their own despite that they are generally caught in the act of committing crimes when the Police come down on them.

Is it racism to ignore what is going on against the black community and the fans turning their backs on the game is somehow perpetuating a racist stance that in a way keeps the black man down? "Or" are the fans making a stand for America by forming their own protests and boycotting ?
Todd; I can't believe that you said this: "They don't like Police using deadly force on their own despite that they are generally caught in the act of committing crimes when the Police come down on them".

Whaaat? That sounds very racist. First, the police have a training issue because their only answer to issues of uncertainty is to shoot first. (When you only have a hammer, all problems become nails).

The athletes are not protesting the shootings of black criminals caught in the act, but the shooting of black people reaching for their driver's license, deaf black people, insane black people, black people in domestic disputes, and black people who appear to be adults but are not, and are brandishing toy weapons.

I know personally of a black Marine who was shot and killed in front of his young daughters (they shot at him through the car), because he was acting erratically (he did not have a weapon). I said at the time it happened that it was a training issue, and that there needs to be a better way to take down people who are erratic without killing them)

I was once in a car in Virginia with a black colleague who was stopped by the police (for not seeing a newly posted no turn on red sign). I thought to myself, Oh, S___, since I am a white woman. He very calmly pulled out his driver's license and retired ID card from the Marines. He chatted with the officer for a bit, it turned out that the officer was a former Marine and lived in the same county as my colleague, small world. My colleague was let go with a warning issued. It could have ended very differently, and it has elsewhere.

However, to mix politics up with religion, patriotism, the military and football is an explosive combination. There should be another venue for this concern.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
FYI, the NBA season opener is just a few weeks away. If major change doesn't come, prepare to see more protests. The NBA plays every night from November to June. Those of you who oppose best find something else to watch.
NBA players are not allowed to kneel during the national anthem but there's no rule that says that they can't lock arms. I think the Lakers did that in their preseason opener. Surely I think some people will still be offended by even that because they don't agree with the cause.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I just want to watch a football game, or movie without politics coming into play. It's entertainment. I seek entertainment as an escape from politics which seems to be everywhere these days.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I just want to watch a football game, or movie without politics coming into play. It's entertainment. I seek entertainment as an escape from politics which seems to be everywhere these days.
And I'd like a president who addresses real issues not what professional athletes do or the business decisions of a private entity regarding their employees legal behaviors.

I guess we're both SOL.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
I've stopped standing for the anthem. This is a choice that Trump forced me to make. If he wants to disgrace the flag and nation by turning it all into a political referendum, fine -- I'll be on the other side.
This video is for guys like you who can take freedoem for granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2DZk2fWUk

Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
NBA players are not allowed to kneel during the national anthem but there's no rule that says that they can't lock arms. I think the Lakers did that in their preseason opener. Surely I think some people will still be offended by even that because they don't agree with the cause.
Who says they arent allowed? Is that even possible to enforce?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I'm not turning my back on racism, but it's out of hand. Every little thing and people cry racism for one reason or another. I love football and look forward to it. I understand their stance, but it has no place in football. Furthermore, Americans should feel free to stand or sit during the anthem. It's our right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates