Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Pence is not stupid but I do question the intelligence of anyone that is tearing up their tickets, burning their team memorabilia or walking out.
I can't help but think that anyone who does any of that is not understanding what the Black players are protesting or worse they don't care or even worse they want to keep things just as they are.

If Pence would be willing to sit down with representative players be it in a town hall or on 60 minutes I think that would speak volumes and shed light on exactly what the guys are protesting.
There are too many that see their kneeling as a disrespect to the country so a sit down meeting would be a chance to tell the country exactly what they are trying to accomplish.

The greats people of the Civil Rights movement always had a plan that would move their cause forward but the kneeling is confusing many and many don't really know what they are trying to accomplish and if it is even possible.

It would be a very interesting show if Pence and the players sat down to talk.
I disagree. NFL has nothing to do with the job of the VP. If they have issues, they need to address them just like everyone else does. Protesting does nothing, just another nail in the coffin of the NFL.

This guy gets it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhborYfWsY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I disagree. NFL has nothing to do with the job of the VP. If they have issues, they need to address them just like everyone else does. Protesting does nothing, just another nail in the coffin of the NFL.

This guy gets it:
No he doesn't.

And neither do you.

Pence and tRump don't, either.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
To the idea of the OP, I think the NFL should take a PSA during each quarter, NFL runs several different advocacy or brand promotion commercials each quarter between car and beer ads anyway. I am not sure if the kneeling is still about injustice or about Trump now. Perhaps it is both when Trumped owned the conversation (which there was hardly one in 2017 week two.)

I do think that both Pence and Trump should be on some talk show with several players and they can talk it out. If love to see Trump get pwned by say Richard Sherman who while being a thug with on field personality, is surprisingly well spoken.

Do I think it will change minds, no. I think minds like my father's who while didn't vote Trump sides with Trump anyway along with didn't vote Trump to begin with or voted Trump are set on their views on this issue. The only thing it may do, it is feet stuck where they would be.

Last edited by mkpunk; 10-11-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 11:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To the idea of the OP, I think the NFL should take a PSA during each quarter, NFL runs several different advocacy or brand promotion commercials each quarter between car and beer ads anyway. I am not sure if the kneeling is still about injustice or about Trump now. Perhaps it is both when Trumped owned the conversation (which there was hardly one in 2017 week two.)

I do think that both Pence and Trump should be on some talk show with several players and they can talk it out. If love to see Trump get pwned by say Richard Sherman who while being a thug with on field personality, is surprisingly well spoken.

Do I think it will change minds, no. I think minds like my father's who while didn't vote Trump sides with Trump anyway.
Surprising? Why would that be surprising - he did graduate from Stanford.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Surprising? Why would that be surprising - he did graduate from Stanford.
His Crabtree is a sorry receiver interview wasn't well spoken unless it was a wrestling promo or a fired up NASCAR interview with a guy who got wrecked.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Strange that no one brings up the issue of Govt and when they started paying the NFL to be more patriotic?

How bad is it when a govt has to pay an organization to be patriotic? Isnt there a word for that anyway? LOL
Quoting just to bump the post

At any rate, it was an obvious PR move and done by playing with taxpayer money...the 49ers were playing and they were obviously going to kneel...they are the ones that started it and have continued to do it in Kap's absence

Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Mike Pence is an old white guy who is part of the power elite. The NFL is 70% black. They have nothing at all in common and I don't see how dialog is possible. Pence did a staged walkout of an NFL game in Indianapolis. That's political grandstanding and shouldn't be rewarded by the media by giving the guy even a nanosecond of air time on a show like 60 minutes.

The players will stop protesting at the national anthem if it starts costing them money. NFL games are largely sold out. The TV contracts with CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPN were signed years ago with known dollars. The players can protest all they want and it won't cost them a dime. Viewership is off a bit in recent years but that's more due to a string of lousy games and people unplugging from cable than a bunch of Trumpkins boycotting watching NFL games.

The Monday Night Football game on ESPN was Bears/Vikings. Why would I want to watch that? I haven't looked but I'm sure it had pretty lousy ratings.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Trump in all his wisdom turned the NFL thing into a political thing. He's provoking them to take a knee to protest HIM. What a bunch of fools chose him as the Republican's best man for president.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
^^^ This.

The black players are trying to make a statement about the way they feel there is injustice how African-Americans are often treated & it gets turned around & completely misrepresented by Trump & Fox News into a "anti-American" gesture. Thereby now the players are dissing America & patriotism, not what they actually say they are doing & of course the Fox/Trump crowd are so easily led as we've seen this past year with other Twitter faux controversies.

The NFL makes it's Billion$ on the back of mostly black players & it should respect that. (They should also lose their special tax status unless that is to be given to all entertainers.)

Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I get that...as I've said numerous times over several threads. Yes, if a private entity employing you wants to limit that behavior while on company time, it is generally their right to do so. There's the rub...IF.

Cite the "written rule prohibiting" (your words) their action.
LOL you didn't even click on the link I gave you.

It's right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates