Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 PM

50,682 posts, read 36,379,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Statistics mean alot. White males are 30% of society and 50% of the people killed by police. You try to portray this as justified and chalk it up to "white privilege". The link provides stats on armed/unarmed as well. 170 unarmed people were killed by police in 2016. 95 of those were white...

Do you honestly think it is a coincidence that Asian females are far less likely to get shot and killed by police than white males or black males? Asian males are also far less likely to get shot and killed by police. To ignore crime rates among races in this discussion is just silly. Why on earth would half of all people killed by police be white males and none be asian females if we live in a "white supremacy society of systematic racism"?
I never said nor implied anything of the sort. I'm done arguing, you're not here to understand the issues but to try to make pat comparisons that you distort to fit your bubble and again, mean absolutely nothing in context of this thread,

Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 PM

50,727 posts, read 24,232,654 times
Quote:
You may not have spoken about white privilege but it is clear you believe in it.

And thats the opposite of seeing people as individuals.
Yes, I believe there is white privilege. I can give you an example: PCALMike.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,917,144 times
Quote:
You may not have spoken about white privilege but it is clear you believe in it.

This is codified & celebrated 'white privilege' aka 'heritage' for some:

Quote:
In 1891, as the Democratic-controlled legislature passed laws that disenfranchised most black Americans,[2] the government of the City of New Orleans erected the Liberty Monument to "commemorate the uprising" of 1874, in the city. The monument was prominently placed in the neutral ground (median) near the foot of Canal Street. In 1932, inscriptions were added to the monument which attested to the battle's role in establishing white supremacy.[3]

...The following inscription was added in 1932:

Quote:
[Democrats] McEnery and Penn[18] having been elected governor and lieutenant-governor by the white people, were duly installed by this overthrow of carpetbag government, ousting the usurpers, Governor Kellogg (white) and Lieutenant-Governor Antoine (colored).

United States troops took over the state government and reinstated the usurpers but the national election of November 1876 recognized white supremacy in the South and gave us our state.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt...Place_Monument

'Going along to get along' is a far cry from 'home of the free & land of the brave', it's nauseating.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 PM

10,670 posts, read 5,643,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So there are reasons to feel guilty, just by luck your family never owned slaves, so you're in the clear. So if someone in my past owned slaves....or turned down someone for a job just because they were black...or Irish...etc. THEN it would make sense for me to feel guilty - but only if it was MY family that did it.

Just checking to be sure I understand. Because it feels like you're willing to say guilt is reasonable ONLY because of the luck of the draw about your heritage. And it feels like if there WAS something in your family tree you just might say "I'm not responsible for the sins of my father."
Are you saying that you are responsible for the sins of your father?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,243,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There is no need. Here, let me demonstrate:

I am White. I am not racist. Nor do I feel guilty.
There. I have done my fair share.
I'm afraid this does not work. There is just too much ingrained behaviors in society where this type of statement doesn't even scratch the surface at getting anywhere towards not being racist.

When you don't have the life experience of someone else it's kind of hard to see things from their perspective. I had several middle and upper middle class black friends who had common experiences of getting stopped by police for no reason what so ever. I've only been stopped once in my whole life.

this video explains a part of it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9QBnPK6Yg

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,952,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I believe there is white privilege.
Exactly. You didnt have to speak about it in this thread. It was always clear that you believe in it, so why deny it?

Is it really appropriate to describe the American society as systematically racist by using police killings as the ultimate example of white privilege when 0 asian females and 532 white males were killed last year? By the logic of the white privilege crowd, the statistics imply "Asian female privilege".

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 PM

50,682 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:

If by white privilege, you mean white people have advantages over minorities in this country, anyone but a fool can see that is true. But again that has nothing to do with the thread. Being aware of how the world works is not saying there needs to be guilt. In terms of the police shootings, all anyone wants is justice, and that justice should be whether the person is black, white or purple, and re-training, re-training to emphasize non-violent de-escalation techniques and other means of dealing with scary-looking people rather than shooting them. Why do you begrudge that so?

I'm white too, so I can assure you I am not anti-white. I KNOW there are times that being white was a distinct advantage in my life though, from my own run-ins with the police to getting jobs to getting the apartment I have. I don't feel guilty about it but yes, I want to see fair play, and there is for sure not fairness now.

I mean c'mon, a man was shot a dozen times for having a broken taillight. An unarmed man was shot in the BACK while running away. How does saying "well white people get shot too, and Asian women don't" contribute in the slightest to any real discussion of this problem and the solutions? If that many white men are gettng killed unarmed, and you fancy yourself a booster for the white man, I would think you'd be just as up in arms about all police misconduct, but most who think like you just blame those who got shot for not being subservient enough and defend the police who pulled the trigger, at least if the victims are black.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never said nor implied anything of the sort. I'm done arguing, you're not here to understand the issues but to try to make pat comparisons that you distort to fit your bubble and again, mean absolutely nothing in context of this thread,
You were the one who suggested all white males killed by cops could be armed and dangerous. I gave you the link that showed the large majority of unarmed people who were killed by cops were also white. You are just arguing using tabloid stories with no statistics to back up your prejudice at all. You seem comfortable implying that crime rates DO matter when it comes to white males getting shot and killed. So why on earth wouldnt the same hold true when it comes to other races? Why do you think so few Asian males and ZERO Asian females get killed by the police? Do you have an explanation other than Asians rarely dominate high crime neighborhoods?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,540,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
I agree. It's just more divisive. Sometimes when I am online regarding such issues and then go back out into real life I don't see all this that people are telling me TO see.

I just met my newest neighbors and one is black and the other Hispanic. And? And nothing. Media would try and make me believe that we are making assumptions about each other and I'm not feeling it. I made this assumption: my normally timid dog sniffed at them, so I determined they were carrying in food. That is all. They noted that my dog is beautiful and said so.

They seem like lovely people. And reacted to me as if they think I am a nice person. The End. Reading too much about BLM and white privilege and angry videos and whatnot I for a while was like GOD. Are all the black people I am acquainted with secretly seething with hatred towards me for my skin color? Nope. They aren't. That stuff is rare, just overblown by the media.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If by white privilege, you mean white people have advantages over minorities in this country, anyone but a fool can see that is true. But again that has nothing to do with the thread. Being aware of how the world works is not saying there needs to be guilt. In terms of the police shootings, all anyone wants is justice, and that justice should be whether the person is black, white or purple, and re-training, re-training to emphasize non-violent de-escalation techniques and other means of dealing with scary-looking people rather than shooting them. Why do you begrudge that so?

I'm white too, so I can assure you I am not anti-white. I KNOW there are times that being white was a distinct advantage in my life though, from my own run-ins with the police to getting jobs to getting the apartment I have. I don't feel guilty about it but yes, I want to see fair play, and there is for sure not fairness now.

I mean c'mon, a man was shot a dozen times for having a broken taillight. An unarmed man was shot in the BACK while running away. How does saying "well white people get shot too, and Asian women don't" contribute in the slightest to any real discussion of this problem and the solutions? If that many white men are gettng killed unarmed, and you fancy yourself a booster for the white man, I would think you'd be just as up in arms about all police misconduct, but most who think like you just blame those who got shot for not being subservient enough and defend the police who pulled the trigger, at least if the victims are black.
You have more than implied that it is white racism and white privilege that is the cause of black deaths by the police. While you have dismissed and ignored the stats about asians and whites. In fact you tried to defend the police by suggesting that 532 killings, all of them, could be the result of armed and dangerous white males. Do you honestly believe that a white male has an advantage over an Asian female in run-ins with the police? Be honest. Look at the stats. 532 white males killed. 0 Asian females. I ask you again; how on earth can you explain this? Why dont you believe in "Asian female privilege" based on those numbers? If you are an Asian female in this country, you simply WILL NOT be killed by police.

You are NEVER going to see any "fair play" as long as people like you make it almost impossible to unite the underclass and the working class against the ruling class. And no; the ruling class is not "the white male". The "white privilege" crowd who radicalize the masses and make people look at whites as sons and daughters of drug kingpins, spending undeserved wealth, make any common ground impossible. The type of rhetoric people like you use is a gift to the ruling class. Thats why you see networks owned by the top 0.001% embrace this type of division in society.

Your complaint about discrimination is like you complaining about tall people having advantages over shorter people. It wont change as long as you seek division and prejudice.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-13-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.