Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,065,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I vote that we just discontinue playing the anthem at sports events. Nothing "patriotic" about sports anyway.........
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So at your job, my job, your kids teacher in the classroom, your doctor during your visit, attorney in a court room etc. should be perfectly acceptable for them to protest whatever their agenda is; racism, sexism, illegal immigration, gay marriage, etc. at their job during working hours. Your ok going to the movies and having the employees protest during the movie?
SOME of these ones are a bit off.
First off, any teacher whether they are a college professor or high school teacher shouldn't be doing this and if they are, they should be fired. Tenured or not. They are taught to teach and not actually indoctrinate. I had a good education with little of that.
Doctors if they cannot get their personal beliefs away from their work, they should find something new to do. Why because sometimes politics can get in the way of the Hippocratic oath. Namely abortion for life threatening condition to the mother or giving the pill to a non-sexually active woman who wants to regulate or a cancer patient who needs medical marijuana (in a legal state) to help with chemo.
Lawyers are a bit different since the political rant might help you win a case whether as a planting or defendant. That said if it isn't a part of the defense, I think you should be able to fire them fairly easily.
I have never seen the cinema workers in any of the theaters I've frequented ever protest. But unlike doctors, teachers and lawyers, they are not needs. I like watching movies but it isn't a need.

Now in regards to a football player, even them are in a different place than the ones you mentioned. There are 55 Men for a single team to take the field for a given game. Any position could have two to three to replace a kneeling player instantly, but they might not be good or godforbid there is an injury on the field. You might have to put the protester back on the field.

However where the jobs you mention ties in is when there like a QB or a star receiver, is the issue of is there anyone else. A lawyer, maybe you can find one to replace but it might be ruled a mistrial or something. Doctors depend on how saturated the area is. Where I live there aren't exactly enough GP doctors that are good or have messed up (front) offices. Teachers, again can have a shortage so you might have to sit through the teacher for the year as I did (though she was not political but rather I couldn't do a project due to health issues in art class.)

Quote:
You can stop at no. We are not challenging legalities. This is in the realm of human feelings and opinions.
Quit with the excuses and justifications.
It is not ok to bring your politics to your job. period.Unless of course you are a politician.
But they weren't excuses though. The poster was justifying what they were thinking just as you did. Just because you don't agree with something don't mean you should not let them make a counter-point. Maybe what exactly the counter-point contains like lies or misrepresentations of facts, but the point on a whole.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Everyone is just looking or an excuse to be offended today.

Easier to get folks riled up over stupid stuff like kneeling, when many of them just got done kneeling before their sky genie not a few hours before, than it is to get people to discuss real issues.

You can talk about kneeling for hours. It is easy to understand. Try explaining removing exemptions on the tax code and people's eyes glaze over in 10 seconds.

Kneeling has always been a show of respect. People getting ass hurt over it are ridiculous, much like many of the SJW on the other extreme get ridiculous. You're all a bunch of snow flakes, you just don't like to admit you fall together.
I find this too. Conservatives are quick to call minorities snowflakes when they complain about some issue but when they do they aren't? Isn't that dome sort of logical fallacy right there?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,836,212 times
Quote:
You can stop at no. We are not challenging legalities. This is in the realm of human feelings and opinions.
Quit with the excuses and justifications.
It is not ok to bring your politics to your job. period.Unless of course you are a politician.
This workplace argument is tiresome. There are only certain workplaces where the anthem is sung or the pledge recited on a daily basis. So not all workplaces are created equal in that respect. And on the subject of not all workplaces being created equal...do you think that maybe a random office employee who sees no upside in 'protesting' while performing his 9-to-5 every day alongside his same dozen co-workers might have a change of heart if his job was suddenly being broadcast to the world?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM

35,998 posts, read 30,525,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Your protestations are simply conjecture and have little merit beyond the fact that you are constitutionally able to say your piece as an American. Unfortunately, many feel the need to disrespect the notions of others all the while commanding respect for their own. It's a free country, and politics plays a huge role in our collective lives. Do as you please if you aren't hurting others, and allow others to do the same. That's the spirit of freedom, even if you disagree. Sports are a spectacle, and one that garners a ton of revenue...So withhold your money as a protest of the players protest.

"It is not ok to bring your politics to your job." I worked for one of America's largest defense contractors--Politics was definitely a daily part of the company's "communication" efforts. Then again, if we didn't agree with their political position--We could leave--or choose to ignore it..Just as many have done when considering the actions of NFL players..
And I have not been disagreeing. The question was asked. I stated my opinion and thoughts on the matter. Never have I said people do not have the right to say their piece or to protest.
It would seem that some are upset at those who have an opposing view of political protests at unrelated events or carried out at ones place of employment. If you are advocating for the right to express yourself in any form at any place or time why so upset at people to express their disagreement?
As far as jobs, i'm sure most of us would be fired if we inserted our personal political agendas into our work or protested during work hours. I'm sure working for the department of defense may come with its own build in politics, but most employers do not want you bringing your politics or religion into the work place on their time. As well most paying customers and clients do not want you taking their paid time for your personal politics.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM

[quote=phlinak;49847676]
Quote:
Why is this a "long standing tradition" when it has nothing to do with the initial event?
You can google it.
Quote:
Also, why should anyone, other than members of the military, be compelled or feel compelled to engage in a public display of "patriotism", if we are a truly "free" society?
Because we are a free society. Perhaps some feel patriotic, perhaps some don't view it as this horrible patriotism but as just a moment of reflection, perhaps some do it just for respect to others, for solidarity, perhaps just because its tradition, some dont do it. If you dont want to don't, why should you dictate to others they shouldn't do it?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
SOME of these ones are a bit off.
First off, any teacher whether they are a college professor or high school teacher shouldn't be doing this and if they are, they should be fired. Tenured or not. They are taught to teach and not actually indoctrinate. I had a good education with little of that.
Doctors if they cannot get their personal beliefs away from their work, they should find something new to do. Why because sometimes politics can get in the way of the Hippocratic oath. Namely abortion for life threatening condition to the mother or giving the pill to a non-sexually active woman who wants to regulate or a cancer patient who needs medical marijuana (in a legal state) to help with chemo.
Lawyers are a bit different since the political rant might help you win a case whether as a planting or defendant. That said if it isn't a part of the defense, I think you should be able to fire them fairly easily.
I have never seen the cinema workers in any of the theaters I've frequented ever protest. But unlike doctors, teachers and lawyers, they are not needs. I like watching movies but it isn't a need.

Now in regards to a football player, even them are in a different place than the ones you mentioned. There are 55 Men for a single team to take the field for a given game. Any position could have two to three to replace a kneeling player instantly, but they might not be good or godforbid there is an injury on the field. You might have to put the protester back on the field.

However where the jobs you mention ties in is when there like a QB or a star receiver, is the issue of is there anyone else. A lawyer, maybe you can find one to replace but it might be ruled a mistrial or something. Doctors depend on how saturated the area is. Where I live there aren't exactly enough GP doctors that are good or have messed up (front) offices. Teachers, again can have a shortage so you might have to sit through the teacher for the year as I did (though she was not political but rather I couldn't do a project due to health issues in art class.)

But they weren't excuses though. The poster was justifying what they were thinking just as you did. Just because you don't agree with something don't mean you should not let them make a counter-point. Maybe what exactly the counter-point contains like lies or misrepresentations of facts, but the point on a whole.
Really.
No, but.
Its ok for NFL players, but teachers.....should be fired. But doctors......should find another profession.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:16 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,943,521 times
I call crapola on kneeling being ok. As the proud daughter of a WWII vet who was shot and wounded and wore his scars as a badge of honor, all I can say is freedom of speech does not allow for you to yell "fire" because you feel like it. If you were to utter the word "bomb" at an airport you would have a net dropped over you fast. So too, freedom of speech does not allow disrespecting it, which in my mind the act of kneeling is just that plain and simple.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This workplace argument is tiresome. There are only certain workplaces where the anthem is sung or the pledge recited on a daily basis. So not all workplaces are created equal in that respect. And on the subject of not all workplaces being created equal...do you think that maybe a random office employee who sees no upside in 'protesting' while performing his 9-to-5 every day alongside his same dozen co-workers might have a change of heart if his job was suddenly being broadcast to the world?
How are you narrowing it to places the anthem is sung. Any display of personal political agendas and protest in the workplace. I really dont know how media exposure makes it right.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,646,551 times
Quote:
And I have not been disagreeing. The question was asked. I stated my opinion and thoughts on the matter. Never have I said people do not have the right to say their piece or to protest.
It would seem that some are upset at those who have an opposing view of political protests at unrelated events or carried out at ones place of employment. If you are advocating for the right to express yourself in any form at any place or time why so upset at people to express their disagreement?
As far as jobs, i'm sure most of us would be fired if we inserted our personal political agendas into our work or protested during work hours. I'm sure working for the department of defense may come with its own build in politics, but most employers do not want you bringing your politics or religion into the work place on their time. As well most paying customers and clients do not want you taking their paid time for your personal politics.

Bingo--So, don't pay to see them play. This is the counter to what we can't/won't agree with in a democratic society, now if football attendance was mandatory....

Vote with your dollars, but don't be surprised if the rabid fans don't go along with any action that, actually takes the game away, or them from the game..The rightness or wrongness of all of this will be weighed like all else that is controversial in pro sports---$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates