Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I call crapola on kneeling being ok. As the proud daughter of a WWII vet who was shot and wounded and wore his scars as a badge of honor, all I can say is freedom of speech does not allow for you to yell "fire" because you feel like it. If you were to utter the word "bomb" at an airport you would have a net dropped over you fast. So too, freedom of speech does not allow disrespecting it, which in my mind the act of kneeling is just that plain and simple.
And therein lies the heart of all of this malcontent --from the players to the fans, it's known as perspective...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
At this point, it's no longer about the anthem it's about players vs team owners. Most people don't see this but that's what it really is about now. The NFL has sent out a memo asking the players to stand for the best interests and they will try to address the player's needs of protesting in other ways.

The player's association today has disagreed with the league which they will continue the protests until their demands are met.

I think at some point the league will go after players that kneel because the protest does cost owners money and that's the reason they would do so. If they don't do anything it will hurt their bottomline and also lose their control of the players.

This is a very toxic situation right now.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
There are 3 issues at play here. One is the perceived right of the players to use the anthem to protest without repercussions. Another issues is the way that Trump made the protest about him. The last is the issue in the first place, whether there is a legitimate protest to claim that blacks are being murdered by racist cops. The first issue is a great debate. The last 2 are hooey

Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
At this point, it's no longer about the anthem it's about players vs team owners. Most people don't see this but that's what it really is about now. The NFL has sent out a memo asking the players to stand for the best interests and they will try to address the player's needs of protesting in other ways.

The player's association today has disagreed with the league which they will continue the protests until their demands are met.

I think at some point the league will go after players that kneel because the protest does cost owners money and that's the reason they would do so. If they don't do anything it will hurt their bottomline and also lose their control of the players.

This is a very toxic situation right now.
The issue with the owners looking at their check book and making these apologies rather than siding with the players is that at some point it is still going to hurt the check book. At some point, the NFL players if not the NFLPA will walk out for not being treated fair in this situation. It was largely a non-issue this season. Why, because nobody signed Kaepernick and it wasn't talked about. Go back from week 2 to the beginning of the preseason, I think Lynch was the biggest one that was talked about and it was a buried story. Then right before week 3 for some ungodly reason, Trump made the conversation about him (like he did even before he ran for the presidency) and brought life to it again. He called players "a son of a *****" both from his mouth and his thumbs for kneeling during the anthem. In response, in many cases 10+ players on each team knelt during the anthem. Now because the NFL brass are scared that ratings will fall further they chose to protect the dollar?

What I think will happen is if a player kneels and is penalized for it the union should encourage a walk out. It hurt the NFL the other times this has happened and it will do again this time. If it is entire teams, it could hurt tv revenue. NFL wants to protect the shield, look at the players because they in some cases have died for it. The NFLPA is well within their right to do this and I hope they do until the league wishes up to the fact that protesting off the clock and all the community service the players have done aren't fixing the social issues that the initial player knelt over, nor is it by falling inline to a vindictive bully who sued the NFL on behalf of the USFL in which he was a team owner.

Speaking about Kaepernick, Trump and his mouth as well as the memo that went out a week or two ago ahead of this meeting makes a fairly credible case for the blackball in his collusion lawsuit he just filed Sunday. Not that he was a great team citizen himself with that whole "elective surgery" issue when he was going to be benched... The NFL will likely settle in some way.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
[quote=2mares;49848650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You can google it.

Because we are a free society. Perhaps some feel patriotic, perhaps some don't view it as this horrible patriotism but as just a moment of reflection, perhaps some do it just for respect to others, for solidarity, perhaps just because its tradition, some dont do it. If you dont want to don't, why should you dictate to others they shouldn't do it?
It's called freedom of speech, which includes expressing my opinion.

Do you have a problem with that?

Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Considering it started by one player trying to keep his job by making a reason to claim discrimination, I consider it a hypocritical action. I am tired of hearing about it. Why is the news making such a to do about this. Ignore them and they will get tired and stop or keep on. They are a bunch of overpaid players who need to get over themselves. My hope is that they will finally bring a stop to public funding for something not worth a hill of beans. Their salaries would go down considerably if their teams had to pay for the place they play. I don't see NASCAR getting free tracks. If it cannot pay for itself; it needs to go. Taxpayers have enough to pay for already. The average person cannot afford to go to the games. Not that I would anyway. Too many interesting things to do to go watch something that boring.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There are 3 issues at play here. One is the perceived right of the players to use the anthem to protest without repercussions. Another issues is the way that Trump made the protest about him. The last is the issue in the first place, whether there is a legitimate protest to claim that blacks are being murdered by racist cops. The first issue is a great debate. The last 2 are hooey
Former North Charleston, SC police officer Michael Slager shooting Walter Scott, multiple times in the back, while he was unarmed and running away is the very definition of a murder.

Only Slager's acceptance of a plea deal spared him from a murder conviction and possible execution.

The murder of anyone is not hooey.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Considering it started by one player trying to keep his job by making a reason to claim discrimination, I consider it a hypocritical action. I am tired of hearing about it. Why is the news making such a to do about this. Ignore them and they will get tired and stop or keep on. They are a bunch of overpaid players who need to get over themselves. My hope is that they will finally bring a stop to public funding for something not worth a hill of beans. Their salaries would go down considerably if their teams had to pay for the place they play. I don't see NASCAR getting free tracks. If it cannot pay for itself; it needs to go. Taxpayers have enough to pay for already. The average person cannot afford to go to the games. Not that I would anyway. Too many interesting things to do to go watch something that boring.
NASCAR had their last new track in 2007 (the got a cup race in 2010), Kentucky Speedway and that had a lot of issues the first race. The traffic was backed up and many fans missed half of the race, if not the whole thing. It was so bad Bruton Smith had to give passes to either a Bristol race or next year's Kentucky due to the traffic issues getting from the highway to the interstate. Part of the NFL stadiums have these highway upgrades such as University of Phoenix Stadium prior to 2015's Super Bowl XLX.

As for getting tired of the protests, the players who started protesting were tired of the treatment of African-Americans at the hands of police officers. They won't stop and shouldn't until there is change. Sadly that conversation has been corrupted by the fact it is "un-American", it is an attack on the troops and Trump calling them "A son of a *****" for kneeling.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I vote that we just discontinue playing the anthem at sports events. Nothing "patriotic" about sports anyway.........
Sports can be the manifestation of patriotism... anyone that doubts this need to look no further than the Lake Placid Olympic Games and the US Team Ice Hockey Gold...

My father was part of pan American Goodwill Games and patriotism was universal for all the competitors...

Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
NASCAR had their last new track in 2007 (the got a cup race in 2010), Kentucky Speedway and that had a lot of issues the first race. The traffic was backed up and many fans missed half of the race, if not the whole thing. It was so bad Bruton Smith had to give passes to either a Bristol race or next year's Kentucky due to the traffic issues getting from the highway to the interstate. Part of the NFL stadiums have these highway upgrades such as University of Phoenix Stadium prior to 2015's Super Bowl XLX.

As for getting tired of the protests, the players who started protesting were tired of the treatment of African-Americans at the hands of police officers. They won't stop and shouldn't until there is change. Sadly that conversation has been corrupted by the fact it is "un-American", it is an attack on the troops and Trump calling them "A son of a *****" for kneeling.
Isn't it terrible when a person who commits a crime gets arrested. I guess we should just stand there and say take everything I own? Why complain about law enforcement for doing their jobs? That is what is really going on. How dare they do their jobs and arrest criminals? I have only seen one person wrongfully lose his life and it was a white handicapped man who got a cane out of the back of his truck and the policeman thought he was going for a gun. It was clearly an accident.

Who paid for the improvement you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates