Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Isn't it terrible when a person who commits a crime gets arrested. I guess we should just stand there and say take everything I own? Why complain about law enforcement for doing their jobs? That is what is really going on. How dare they do their jobs and arrest criminals? I have only seen one person wrongfully lose his life and it was a white handicapped man who got a cane out of the back of his truck and the policeman thought he was going for a gun. It was clearly an accident.

Who paid for the improvement you are talking about?
Obviously you never heard of the worker of a group home who got shot while on his back with his hands up. Luckily he never died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:44 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You can stop at no. We are not challenging legalities. This is in the realm of human feelings and opinions.
Quit with the excuses and justifications.
It is not ok to bring your politics to your job. period.Unless of course you are a politician.
It's ok if the bosses (NFL team owners) say it's ok. And I don't think they're going to even think about giving a damn how you feel about it.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfObia8aUZY

Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I find this too. Conservatives are quick to call minorities snowflakes when they complain about some issue but when they do they aren't? Isn't that dome sort of logical fallacy right there?
Douible standards are the bread-and-butter of certain factions in today's world.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
[/b][/b]

Bingo--So, don't pay to see them play. This is the counter to what we can't/won't agree with in a democratic society, now if football attendance was mandatory....

Vote with your dollars, but don't be surprised if the rabid fans don't go along with any action that, actually takes the game away, or them from the game..The rightness or wrongness of all of this will be weighed like all else that is controversial in pro sports---$$$$$$
Yes, I agree and that's what some people are doing. Really what else is there to do. If you dont like it don't participate or suck it up.
I'm not saying any different. I'm not an NFL fan, never been to a game, never bought their merchandise.
But even so if I cared enough I could boycott NFL sponsors, put up billboards, voice my objections on social media, or any form of protest. Right.
I think we very much agree on this.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

It's called freedom of speech, which includes expressing my opinion.

Do you have a problem with that?
Not at all but freedom is not free. Freedom of speech does not allow one to yell fire in a crowed auditorium. Freedom of speech, as we have seen, does not allow us to utter certain words, fly certain flags, wear certain clothes, etc. It does not allow us to carry out our personal freedoms in particular venues. While certain expressions may not be illegal they certainly have consequences.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
It's ok if the bosses (NFL team owners) say it's ok. And I don't think they're going to even think about giving a damn how you feel about it.
They are already giving a damn because of the blow back affecting their bottom dollar.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
All rights are tempered by responsibilities. That does not mean that they can simply be abrogated by those seeking to protect their own financial interests.

Long ago, we had the so-called Lochner Era in which the sanctity of the private contract was held to be paramount. Today, that era is all but universally decried as the worst corruption of American values that has come down the pike since the nation was founded.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So at your job, my job, your kids teacher in the classroom, your doctor during your visit, attorney in a court room etc. should be perfectly acceptable for them to protest whatever their agenda is; racism, sexism, illegal immigration, gay marriage, etc. at their job during working hours. Your ok going to the movies and having the employees protest during the movie?
That generally doesnt happen because those types of people, working in those types of professions, do not have the HUGE audience/ following that pro sports players and hollywood movie stars do, so even if my kids teacher started a protest at school for something, it would maybe only make it to the local news (if even that far), that means, not that many people would get to hear their protesting.

With pro sports and movie stars, they have a HUGE audience at all times who will pay attention to what they are talking about.

Ive said it before, its not really about what profession they are in, its more about the potential audience to hear and see the protesting, and it worked, for a long time, they had just about everyone (even those who do not follow sports) talking about this.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
At this point, it's no longer about the anthem it's about players vs team owners. Most people don't see this but that's what it really is about now. The NFL has sent out a memo asking the players to stand for the best interests and they will try to address the player's needs of protesting in other ways.

The player's association today has disagreed with the league which they will continue the protests until their demands are met.

I think at some point the league will go after players that kneel because the protest does cost owners money and that's the reason they would do so. If they don't do anything it will hurt their bottomline and also lose their control of the players.

This is a very toxic situation right now.
Well it would get alot more toxic once people find out the Govt started paying the NFL to be 'more patriotic', that would be a powder keg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates