Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM

36,132 posts, read 30,611,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, so in one post you were preaching what the players were required to do on the job, while now you're saying it's a tradition.

And "unspoken or unwritten" and "rules" are two very different concepts.
Well for a principle you sure do have some reading comprehension issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,074,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've made this claim before since I was a Boy Scout and I grew up respecting the 13 bars, 50 stars, the pledge and the anthem. I have for all my life given reverence to the pledge and anthem in my adult life. Any stock car race, any football game, any baseball game, any hockey game (including the Canadian anthem since I am part Canadian) and even high school events.

My claim is: for those complaining about kneeling for the anthem being an attack on the flag, what do you call fans sitting for the anthem, waving a U.S. flag of any condition on a pick-up truck, and cat-calling during the high notes of the anthem?

Fans have long sat for the anthem. I saw it with New York Islander games as far back as 2004. I've also seen fans not stop at all and do whatever during it too. This annoys me far more than kneeling because at least kneeling is a form of reverence.

Waving damaged flags or damaging a flag has always annoyed me. I'm a huge monster truck fan, I still hate it when I see trucks racing or even freestyling with an American flag hanging off the back of the truck. I also hate when I'm going down the road and I see these 'Murican Idiots doing it with their 4x4. Why, because we are supposed to not drop a flag. That again to me is a bigger insult than the kneeling.

Lastly is the cat calls of the anthem. I know you know what I mean. Goto a high school football game, goto a college game, goto a hockey game, goto a football game, goto a baseball game, goto a basketball game, goto a wrestling event, goto a NASCAR race, a monster truck show or whatever and unless it is an instrumental version you hear cat-calling throughout and cheers on the high notes. I roll my eyes at this anytime as I know that minute, minute and a half is spent to honor our country and we should not say a word except singing along if we want. Kneeling don't annoy me the way this does.
Thank you for speaking truth.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM

50,377 posts, read 23,969,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You can stop at no. We are not challenging legalities. This is in the realm of human feelings and opinions.
Quit with the excuses and justifications.
It is not ok to bring your politics to your job. period.Unless of course you are a politician.
Why should I stop with my justifications for my viewpoint, when you are stating your justifications for your viewpoint.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,034,995 times
It should be up to the owners. If they believe that their players not standing for the NA affects their bottom line then they have every right to discipline those players. Beyond that it's a non-issue for me because I believe when push comes to shove 99.9% of people living in this country will rally around the flag.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,330,218 times
Everyone is just looking or an excuse to be offended today.

Easier to get folks riled up over stupid stuff like kneeling, when many of them just got done kneeling before their sky genie not a few hours before, than it is to get people to discuss real issues.

You can talk about kneeling for hours. It is easy to understand. Try explaining removing exemptions on the tax code and people's eyes glaze over in 10 seconds.

Kneeling has always been a show of respect. People getting ass hurt over it are ridiculous, much like many of the SJW on the other extreme get ridiculous. You're all a bunch of snow flakes, you just don't like to admit you fall together.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 AM

36,132 posts, read 30,611,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
You are absolutely correct, vote with your wallet, it football, and they ARE playing, but they aren't forcing you to watch. I think you may be too invested in your own notions of financial contribution to the NFL. Where I live, football will be watched as usual and few are really all that concerned..
I agree. You are mistaken if you believe I'm too invested. Just because I have an opinion doesn't make me invested just as believing because someone standing for the NA means they are a rabid patriot who worships the flag.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 AM

24,528 posts, read 18,079,774 times
Meh. John Carlos and Tommie Smith did a black glove and raised fist in the 1968 Olympics. I'm an affluent white guy. The NFL is 70% black and I imagine many of the players are from pretty disadvantaged places in the country. It's a free country. If players choose to kneel during the national anthem or don a black glove and raise their fist to call attention to racial inequality, I have no problem with it. This nonsense that it's somehow insulting the military is pretty nutty.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:20 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,652,808 times
Quote:
You can stop at no. We are not challenging legalities. This is in the realm of human feelings and opinions.
Quit with the excuses and justifications.
It is not ok to bring your politics to your job. period.Unless of course you are a politician.

Your protestations are simply conjecture and have little merit beyond the fact that you are constitutionally able to say your piece as an American. Unfortunately, many feel the need to disrespect the notions of others all the while commanding respect for their own. It's a free country, and politics plays a huge role in our collective lives. Do as you please if you aren't hurting others, and allow others to do the same. That's the spirit of freedom, even if you disagree. Sports are a spectacle, and one that garners a ton of revenue...So withhold your money as a protest of the players protest.

"It is not ok to bring your politics to your job." I worked for one of America's largest defense contractors--Politics was definitely a daily part of the company's "communication" efforts. Then again, if we didn't agree with their political position--We could leave--or choose to ignore it..Just as many have done when considering the actions of NFL players..

Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,064,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
It should be up to the owners. If they believe that their players not standing for the NA affects their bottom line then they have every right to discipline those players.
That would clearly be subject to litigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Beyond that it's a non-issue for me because I believe when push comes to shove 99.9% of people living in this country will rally around the flag.
Especially if it were to be placed in any actual peril. Which of course is not currently the case.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,074,547 times
Quote:
The problem many have is that the kneeling was deliberate protest to air players political agendas during ball games where it is long standing tradition to stand for the NA.
Why is this a "long standing tradition" when it has nothing to do with the initial event?

Also, why should anyone, other than members of the military, be compelled or feel compelled to engage in a public display of "patriotism", if we are a truly "free" society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates