Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

I've made this claim before since I was a Boy Scout and I grew up respecting the 13 bars, 50 stars, the pledge and the anthem. I have for all my life given reverence to the pledge and anthem in my adult life. Any stock car race, any football game, any baseball game, any hockey game (including the Canadian anthem since I am part Canadian) and even high school events.

My claim is: for those complaining about kneeling for the anthem being an attack on the flag, what do you call fans sitting for the anthem, waving a U.S. flag of any condition on a pick-up truck, and cat-calling during the high notes of the anthem?

Fans have long sat for the anthem. I saw it with New York Islander games as far back as 2004. I've also seen fans not stop at all and do whatever during it too. This annoys me far more than kneeling because at least kneeling is a form of reverence.

Waving damaged flags or damaging a flag has always annoyed me. I'm a huge monster truck fan, I still hate it when I see trucks racing or even freestyling with an American flag hanging off the back of the truck. I also hate when I'm going down the road and I see these 'Murican Idiots doing it with their 4x4. Why, because we are supposed to not drop a flag. That again to me is a bigger insult than the kneeling.

Lastly is the cat calls of the anthem. I know you know what I mean. Goto a high school football game, goto a college game, goto a hockey game, goto a football game, goto a baseball game, goto a basketball game, goto a wrestling event, goto a NASCAR race, a monster truck show or whatever and unless it is an instrumental version you hear cat-calling throughout and cheers on the high notes. I roll my eyes at this anytime as I know that minute, minute and a half is spent to honor our country and we should not say a word except singing along if we want. Kneeling don't annoy me the way this does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 PM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
The problem many have is that the kneeling was deliberate protest to air players political agendas during ball games where it is long standing tradition to stand for the NA.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The problem many have is that the kneeling was deliberate protest to air players political agendas during ball games where it is long standing tradition to stand for the NA.
As I mentioned fans haven't always observed that and we have also seen people complain that they are disgracing the flag and anthem, not just they are using it for a protest.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:23 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
How does one bring about change in America? Politics. Makes sense to me.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It does to me considering the expanded audience of the Sunday football fans while on a traditional protest, people would complain about them pushing issues with their celebrity if they did not do it on the field (if it got talked about at all.)

Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not at their job when they are "on the clock". You were once a principle, do you think its ok for yourself or your teachers to bring their political agenda into the classroom? For your teachers during a student program where parents and family have come to see their child preform to take a knee or otherwise show protest for their unrelated political agendas? I know this would not be tolerated in the school system. It wouldn't be tolerated in my job.
There are other avenues to bring about change. The media is a big one. Lobbying your representatives. Community meetings, permitted protests, marches, speeches on college campuses, town halls, a variety of venues.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I mentioned fans haven't always observed that and we have also seen people complain that they are disgracing the flag and anthem, not just they are using it for a protest.
We do have a right to complain in this country. People are arguing the players have a right to protest and people have a right not to stand for the anthem. I totally agree. People also have a right to voice their opinions over these actions.
Personally I dont observe cat calls or other forms of disrespect while the anthem is being played. If I did my opinion of those people would be negative. I would view it as disrespect or ignorance but at the same time acknowledge their right.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
We do have a right to complain in this country. People are arguing the players have a right to protest and people have a right not to stand for the anthem. I totally agree. People also have a right to voice their opinions over these actions.
Personally I dont observe cat calls or other forms of disrespect while the anthem is being played. If I did my opinion of those people would be negative. I would view it as disrespect or ignorance but at the same time acknowledge their right.

I vote that we just discontinue playing the anthem at sports events. Nothing "patriotic" about sports anyway.........

Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
So the players don't have that right too? I am seeing a disconnect somewhere here...

Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So the players don't have that right too? I am seeing a disconnect somewhere here...
You seem to have overlooked: People are arguing the players have a right to protest and people have a right not to stand for the anthem. I totally agree.

As well I have stated my personal issue is that they chose to PROTEST ON THE JOB, at a ball game and in my personal opinion that is not acceptable. Many agree, many dont.

Standing for the anthem during ball games is a near 100 year old tradition. I know a lot of folks especially younger folks dont give a rats hairy behind but many, many people do care about American traditions.
People also care about our individual rights for which the flag represents. But here is the thing, along with rights comes responsibility. We still have a procedure or code or rules that apply for exercising those rights even if they are unspoken or unwritten as it would be.
While they have every right to protest, it is bad form to do it during the NA at their place of employment and a place people come NOT to see your political agenda. If they just dont want to stand for the anthem they are permitted to stay off the field until its over. No one disputes that right.

So there is no disconnect here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates