Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
It would certainly be a public health hazard.

They could make license plates.
We've been fighting it that way for 40 years. It has obviously not worked. Why not consider a different approach?

There is a poster in this thread from a European country who gave a first-hand account of how crime and overdose deaths dropped dramatically after implementing a program like this. Is the reason that information is rejected is because it didn't come from America? Are we Americans so stuck-up that we consider all alternatives that didn't come from this country not good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
We've been fighting it that way for 40 years. It has obviously not worked. Why not consider a different approach?

There is a poster in this thread from a European country who gave a first-hand account of how crime and overdose deaths dropped dramatically after implementing a program like this. Is the reason that information is rejected is because it didn't come from America? Are we Americans so stuck-up that we consider all alternatives that didn't come from this country not good enough?
I read that post and I think either that or sending them for treatment. We really should take notice of what works in other countries rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. But letting it go on as it is and sending the police out with narcan to revive them is definitely stupid.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I read that post and I think either that or sending them for treatment. We really should take notice of what works in other countries rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. But letting it go on as it is and sending the police out with narcan to revive them is definitely stupid.

I agree. We should not try to reinvent the wheel.
There are many who become addicted to hard drugs after coming off prescription meds the question is where are they getting the heroine etc..?

Maybe we should treat the addicts like patients but the dealers that are pushing the junk should be locked up and left to rot.
In some countries drug dealers are put to death.

I can't help but wonder where some states are making marijuana legal if they are trying to give people a legal alternative to getting high which would possibly cut down on the hard drug over doses?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree. We should not try to reinvent the wheel.
There are many who become addicted to hard drugs after coming off prescription meds the question is where are they getting the heroine etc..?
It doesn't really matter where they are getting if from. If you cut off the source, a new source quickly pops up to take its place. It's just another example of how The War on Drugs does not work.

Quote:
Maybe we should treat the addicts like patients but the dealers that are pushing the junk should be locked up and left to rot.
In some countries drug dealers are put to death.
If it were legalized (don't gasp, that DOES NOT mean free-for-all), there would not be any dealers to worry about, and no cartels getting funded by the billions of dollars for drugs that Americans demand every year.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder where some states are making marijuana legal if they are trying to give people a legal alternative to getting high which would possibly cut down on the hard drug over doses?
There are many reasons for getting rid of prohibition, and this is one of them. It wasn't one anyone campaigned on to be sure, but for whatever reason(s) it turns out the problem with hard drugs has lessened in the states that have legalized.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I have a hard time comparing hard drug use with alcohol use during Prohibition. Alcohol is something that most people can use in small or moderate amounts and not get addicted. It's not harmful unless a person is an addict. Yes, prohibiting it caused problems but legalizing it again never caused the problems that heroin causes.

With the hard drugs, the addict nearly always becomes an addict. From what I understand, there's no way to just be somewhere in the middle, a casual drug taker. It's all or nothing.

With the hard drugs, it's almost like a death wish when they start to take it. Much more serious than alcohol ever was.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't see any "prison industry" or police departments relying on drug addicts. Not where I come from. The police HATE this and want it to go away. They say they are wasting too much time going after addicts and things that they do like breaking into houses and not enough time is left to do what they're actually supposed to be doing.

Now the town is paying for Narcan for the police to administer to the overdosed addicts to revive them. Then they have to revive them again the next day. The police say it's like a revolving door.

I think the addicts should be taken somewhere and treated. No safe injection sites as that just encourages them to keep doing what they are doing. If it's anything like alcohol, it needs treatment. And if the treatment doesn't work, then they still need to be kept at the treatment facility--they need to be kept away from the rest of society if they are a hopeless case because they are going to drag other people into their addiction.
Why would they want it to go away, if drug crime and drug related crime did go away, what crime would they be left with? Would it be enough to justify the huge budgets they enjoy now, how many officers/ agents would be needed without drug crime?

Its interesting to look at crime statistics back in the time before drug laws were created, it was theft, fraud type crimes, but the numbers did not justify building numerous jails, hiring lots of officers, etc

They may say that kind of thing publicly, but when it comes down to it, drug related crime is their bread and butter

Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
It doesn't really matter where they are getting if from. If you cut off the source, a new source quickly pops up to take its place. It's just another example of how The War on Drugs does not work.

If it were legalized (don't gasp, that DOES NOT mean free-for-all), there would not be any dealers to worry about, and no cartels getting funded by the billions of dollars for drugs that Americans demand every year.

There are many reasons for getting rid of prohibition, and this is one of them. It wasn't one anyone campaigned on to be sure, but for whatever reason(s) it turns out the problem with hard drugs has lessened in the states that have legalized.
Going after the source is usually how we deal with problems, when 9-11 happened, the US went after the source, they went into other countries in order to stop this threat, but with the drug war, that is not the case anymore, after Pablo Esocbar, they do not go after 'the source' anymore, instead they fight the war within the country..in order to keep this war going, they need a steady flow of drugs coming in.

This is one reason I believe there is serious collusion going on between the US and drug cartels, with the heroin problem and all the lives its destroyed, it is basically terrorism well beyond the scale of 9-11, but they refuse to go after the source?? Cmon! LOL

It takes 5-8 acres of the poppie plant to keep one moderate heroin user supplied daily...consider how many acres are needed to keep the entire nation supplied, point is, it takes ALOT, the fields are plentiful and large (not hard to find), and can only grow in specific regions.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

It takes 5-8 acres of the poppie plant to keep one moderate heroin user supplied daily...consider how many acres are needed to keep the entire nation supplied, point is, it takes ALOT, the fields are plentiful and large (not hard to find), and can only grow in specific regions.
Are you sure about that? - I know of a few people who take a do it yourself approach to getting their fix, and they only have a few poppies in their gardens.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Are you sure about that? - I know of a few people who take a do it yourself approach to getting their fix, and they only have a few poppies in their gardens.
Thats what Ive read in multiple places, (I looked into doing this when I was addicted), Its also why we dont see a whole lot of people trying to 'DIY' despite many cities being in heroin epidemics...its just not practical to grow your own supply, like with other drugs.

The poppy pods do not produce much of the narcotic alkaloid needed to make the heroin base, and they can only be scored/tapped, a couple times per year.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times
I love how Americans seem to have this new progressive stance on drug users. When you see drug epidemics happening in black neighborhoods, they need to clean it up! Get the addicts off the streets and throw them in jail, minimum sentencing laws and all that jazz.

Now that white kids are strung out, it's a disease and there needs to be reform of these draconian drug laws. We can't have little Timmy in jail just because he's sick, he needs help. Just look at what's going on in Maine. 90% of drug arrests are Black or Hispanic YET 95% of the state is White.

I've been saying it for few years heroin and meth are lower middle class white Americas biggest kept secret, they could literally do a show like the First 48 but based just on white heron/meth user. I've seen it first hand when I lived in the midwest for a year, there are towns where 85% + of the population is addicted to meth and are the biggest producers, sellers and users across the whole country. Crime, prostitution, child abuse, you name it its happening in all these small towns.

White people are now the face of the U.S. drug crisis. Hence, talk of treatment, not jail. And certainly no "war."

The CIA's initial purpose of smuggling drugs in the US was to put in it the black communities and dismantle it, now it's ricocheting back on them.

Malik el-Shabazz might refer to this as "chickens coming home to roost"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates