Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 09:28 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why are you so focused on Israel? We get a lot in return from them, probably more tangible return than most foreign aid recipients. They are a dependable ally.

What are we getting in return from Egypt? Did they support us at the recent UN vote? I'm all for cutting back on foreign aid. Let's start by looking at the return on investment and cutting the lower returns first. Let's end the futile attempts to pay people not to hate us.
I read a book called Anti-Judaism that traces Jew-hatred from Pharaoh's time to the present. David Nirenberg, the author of that excellent book, admittedly a slow read, believed that many who don't like Jews never met an actual Jew. To his mind the phenomena comes from dislike of a strict system of law. To my mind it is more dislike of a people who are perceived as successful and abide by each country's laws. Different minority groups live in slums, and have pathologies such as non-attendance at schools, high dropout rates and crime.

The Jews are successful but never quite blend in. I think that dislike of Jews translates into dislike of Israel. I know that Phetoroi is not a disliker of Jews. But his mindset comes from those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Why are you so focused on Israel? We get a lot in return from them, probably more tangible return than most foreign aid recipients. They are a dependable ally.

What are we getting in return from Egypt? Did they support us at the recent UN vote? I'm all for cutting back on foreign aid. Let's start by looking at the return on investment and cutting the lower returns first. Let's end the futile attempts to pay people not to hate us.
Why are you so focused on Egypt?

You act as if Israel gives us stuff. No. We give them foreign aid which they spend on development, and then we BUY stuff from them. We have a trade deficit with them. They are not in our top 10 trading partners (more like 20th).

Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:

You're arguing with someone who hates Israel. Waste of time.

The aid to Israel and Egypt is part of a 70s era deal negotiated by Henry Kissinger to end the Arab-Israeli wars.

Should we continue the aid? It's complicated and off topic. But in a nutshell, we give Israelis grants and guaranteed loans to subsidize our own defense industries. We give Egypt aid as a bribe to keep them from going back to the Russians.

Probably we should end both. Egypt hates us no matter what we do, and the Israelis can make their own weapons today that are equal to or maybe even superior to American equipment.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is offending the "religious beliefs" a significant loss to a nation?
Depends on what you mean by "offense" (This is what I mean by it, FYI.)

The very word itself is practically useless in online debates - most people define it either too broad or too narrow.

So every time I hear someone use the word "offense" and similar such words, I have to ask "What the blazes are you talking about?!?!?!??!"

Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa

The craven surrender of Sudentenland and later Czechoslovakia at Munich was a craven British giveaway;
Britain a Naval Power which could not possibly defeat the German Army, so we tried to avoid war at all cost including through trying dialogue and the agreement of 30 September 1938.

We later declared War on Germany soon after (leaas than a yerar later), on the 3 September 1939. The US didn't enter the war until the 7th Demcemer 1941.

Quote:

The British White Paper of 1939 was a craven British giveaway;
The paper called for the establishment of a Jewish national home in an independent Palestinian state within 10 years, rejecting the idea of partitioning Palestine. This was later carried out by the Truman Administration and a UN Vote, the state of Israel was created on the 29 November 1947. Britain was the only western country to abstain from the vote.

Quote:

The surrender of Hong Kong was a craven British giveaway;
Hong Kong was leased from China, it was never British property, the 100 year lease ran out in 1997, after which time it was Chinese by law.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:56 AM

As for renewable energy sources they are actually now cheaper than traditional energy sources, whicvh is one of the reasons many countries are investing heavily in them.

Solar and wind power cheaper than fossil fuels for the first time | The Independent

Offshore wind power cheaper than new nuclear - BBC News

As for moving your embassy to Jerusalem, that's up to the US, however the US has been warned it will prevent meaningful peace negortiations with the Palestinians will fan the flames of hatred within the Arab Muslim World. So is making yourself an even bigger terrorist target for the sake of an Embassy really in America's national interest, and as well now interferring in Middle Eastern Politics always ends well.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:11 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Britain a Naval Power which could not possibly defeat the German Army, so we tried to avoid war at all cost including through trying dialogue and the agreement of 30 September 1938.

We later declared War on Germany soon after (leaas than a yerar later), on the 3 September 1939. The US didn't enter the war until the 7th Demcemer 1941.

The paper called for the establishment of a Jewish national home in an independent Palestinian state within 10 years, rejecting the idea of partitioning Palestine. This was later carried out by the Truman Administration and a UN Vote, the state of Israel was created on the 29 November 1947. Britain was the only western country to abstain from the vote.

Hong Kong was leased from China, it was never British property, the 100 year lease ran out in 1997, after which time it was Chinese by law.
Not quite on Hong Kong. Hong Kong island was ceded in perpetuity to Britain at the end of the First Opium War. Kowloon and the New Territories were, however, leased from China between the founding of Hong Kong and 1898 with an end date of 1997. One was a 99 year lease. I don't feel like looking but I think it was for the New Territories.

Without those mainland areas Hong Kong would have likely shriveled up.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:18 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One of the Definitions of Cultural Revolution is:

Basically it was a series of massacres. It would be like saying that Europe needs additional "final solutions."
No, it is not what I was saying. But what word(s) would you use to say what I was trying to say?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not quite on Hong Kong. Hong Kong island was ceded in perpetuity to Britain at the end of the First Opium War. Kowloon and the New Territories were, however, leased from China between the founding of Hong Kong and 1898 with an end date of 1997. One was a 99 year lease. I don't feel like looking but I think it was for the New Territories.

Without those mainland areas Hong Kong would have likely shriveled up.
It doesn't matter, the truth is the Chinese wanted the territory back and a large section was leased until 1997, so in the interest of good relations we held negotiations and agreed to a handover of the colony. We certainly weren't going to go to war with China of the issue, indeed it was in our own interest to maintain good relations with China and to maintain trading and financial links with Hong Kong and China.

War, Conflict and poor relations are never in anyones interest and need to be a last resort, and this also includes trade wars or fanning the flames of hatred in the middle east by moving an Embassy.

Today China is a major investor in terms of the UK and the two countries enjoy very good relations, indeed China is building a new financial hub for Chinese Financial Companies on the site of the former Royal Docks in London.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:15 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It doesn't matter, the truth is the Chinese wanted the territory back and a large section was leased until 1997, so in the interest of good relations we held negotiations and agreed to a handover of the colony. We certainly weren't going to go to war with China of the issue, indeed it was in our own interest to maintain good relations with China and to maintain trading and financial links with Hong Kong and China.

War, Conflict and poor relations are never in anyones interest and need to be a last resort, and this also includes trade wars or fanning the flames of hatred in the middle east by moving an Embassy.

Today China is a major investor in terms of the UK and the two countries enjoy very good relations, indeed China is building a new financial hub for Chinese Financial Companies on the site of the former Royal Docks in London.
It matters for accuracy. And yes, without the mainland areas Hong Kong would have been crippled, which I alluded to in my last sentence.

As far as "good" relations go, you'll see a divergence of opinion on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates