Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'll get back to my earlier question: why aren't cell phone makers required have phones shut off if they're moving more than 5 or 10 MPH? Phones have GPS's and clocks. That's all that's needed to calculate speed.

Exhorting people not to text is as effective as telling them not to drink and drive. Or less. After the fact punishment will reduce driving texters no more than it has driving drunkards.
And I'll go back to mine. What about passengers? What about people on trains?

Yesterday I very effectively had my wife answer texts and emails while I was driving 55 mph in the rain on the LIE. Why make that impossible? Are we dedicated to lowering productivity and our standard of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,620 times
I got run out of my lane by an 18 wheeler the other day. Almost got kicked into the guardrail.

When I am driving my wife always comments when she sees someone texting while driving on the highway. This is getting rediculous

Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I got run out of my lane by an 18 wheeler the other day. Almost got kicked into the guardrail.

When I am driving my wife always comments when she sees someone texting while driving on the highway. This is getting rediculous
Are you sure that driver was texting?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'll get back to my earlier question: why aren't cell phone makers required have phones shut off if they're moving more than 5 or 10 MPH? Phones have GPS's and clocks. That's all that's needed to calculate speed.

Exhorting people not to text is as effective as telling them not to drink and drive. Or less. After the fact punishment will reduce driving texters no more than it has driving drunkards.
Because it’s perfectly legal to use the GPS, Radio, and Phone App while driving.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Because it’s perfectly legal to use the GPS, Radio, and Phone App while driving.
Not in New York at least. Any holding of the phone in the hand, even to operate those apps is potentially unlawful. I got such a ticket; I pleaded it to "parking on pavement" so my insurance would be unaffected and I would remain point-free. Total cost: about $500 for the lawyer and $220 for the fine and s surcharges.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not in New York at least. Any holding of the phone in the hand, even to operate those apps is potentially unlawful. I got such a ticket; I pleaded it to "parking on pavement" so my insurance would be unaffected and I would remain point-free. Total cost: about $500 for the lawyer and $220 for the fine and s surcharges.
If I remember correctly from your post about it, you also complained about people speeding on the parkway (which IMHO are at speeds that the roads shouldn't go) and not being pulled over but you were. https://traffictickets.com/new-york/...while-driving/ I can't tell you how many times people speed by me and aren't ticketed.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Valid concerns, insurance companies certainly won't wish to pay claims on software glitches et al. either.
Nonetheless, there are still acts of God to insure against. I don't think autonomous vehicles can avoid deer via telepathy.
Thats why there have been so many cities where they are testing these self drive cars. They are working all the glitches out now.

The automakers are going to have this technology close to perfect once it rolls out, accidents and glitches will be extremely rare.

Insurance companies will not fare so well, cannot really justify charging people for comp/ collision, when its the car that is driving.

Laws against texting while driving, DUI, speeding, reckless driving, etc will all be things of the past one day. People in the future will wonder why the switch wasnt made sooner.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If I remember correctly from your post about it, you also complained about people speeding on the parkway (which IMHO are at speeds that the roads shouldn't go) and not being pulled over but you were. https://traffictickets.com/new-york/...while-driving/ I can't tell you how many times people speed by me and aren't ticketed.
What they do is ticket on roads with almost no traffic at the time, such as mid-afternoon or the middle of the night. I got ticketed at 65 in a 45, a two-lane each way road that was virtually empty at the time. pleaded that one down too. I got those two tickets in a relatively short period of time in March and April 2016 and been clean since.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Technically speaking, it would be feasible to have two officers in an unmarked vehicle follow a car with a single occupant for a period of time, and if they have grounds to suspect illegal phone use, they should be able to pull them over and, if the laws support it, make them turn over their phone for inspection. They could even have a tool with them to search for a cell phone in the vehicle if the occupant tries to conceal it. Then, if the occupants is guilty they get fined heavily.

They should use two officers, because the one not driving would be more apt to see the illegal phone use.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I keep my phone in my purse on airplane mode while driving. If I ever end up in any sort of accident, I don't want there to be any suspicion or accusation that I was using my phone when it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates