Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Actions speak louder than words, vs words speak louder than actions
Do actions speak louder than words 13 61.90%
Does words speak louder than actions 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

I'm sure if folks that live in liberal areas that saw this post, they would vote for words speak louder than actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Read the 2016 Democratic Platform. Then listen to all the rage and hatred spewed forth by Democrats. Their actions speak a lot louder than their words.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Social media amplifies rhetoric not actions.

Actions are still more effective as an indicator of trustworthiness than words, which is what the aphorism means. Your question has a different meaning though, which is why I think the poll question is unanswerable. But, I understand the spirit behind the question.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:36 PM

272 posts, read 184,146 times
Obviously Actions but now a days words seem to be the most powerful out there. I remember g rowing up, being told " Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you". Yeah, today that is a load of crock apparently. Man how everything has shifted..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Obviously Actions but now a days words seem to be the most powerful out there. I remember g rowing up, being told " Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you". Yeah, today that is a load of crock apparently. Man how everything has shifted..
Yeah I agree with you on this one.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Social media amplifies rhetoric not actions.

Actions are still more effective as an indicator of trustworthiness than words, which is what the aphorism means. Your question has a different meaning though, which is why I think the poll question is unanswerable. But, I understand the spirit behind the question.
This is a very important consideration! -- Today, information and digital interactions are so pervasive that people morph from their real lives into an online persona or existence. They perceive that they are maintaining real friendships on Facebook; holding real conversations on Twitter; hearing the unbiased truth on news editorials; engaging in meaningful personal interactions while texting; socializing via online video games - and being 'open minded' when they read differing internet opinions.

As a result, truth, reality and actions (what is really happening) ...are subtly replaced in importance by how things sound and appear - and what others say about them online. In the process, people lose the ability to think critically or deeply about real life issues and to effectively communicate with real people.

This is why there is widespread confusion about whether words or actions speak louder ... or if actions or truth are even relevant or matter anymore. --- I remember a line in a movie that typifies this condition. A man caught cheating on his girlfriend, demands to know, "Are you going to simply believe what you see with your own two eyes ... or what I'm standing right here and telling you?"

Last edited by jghorton; 02-06-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This is a very important consideration! -- Today, information and digital interactions are so pervasive that people morph from their real lives into an online persona or existence. They perceive that they are maintaining real friendships on Facebook; holding real conversations on Twitter; hearing the unbiased truth on news editorials; engaging in meaningful personal interactions while texting; socializing via online video games - and being 'open minded' when they read differing internet opinions.

As a result, truth, reality and actions (what is really happening) ...are subtly replaced in importance by how things sound and appear - and what others say about them online. In the process, people lose the ability to think critically or deeply about real life issues and to effectively communicate with real people.

This is why there is widespread confusion about whether words or actions speak louder ... or if actions or truth are even relevant or matter anymore. --- I remember a line in a movie that typifies this condition. A man caught cheating on his girlfriend, demands to know, "Are you going to simply believe what you see with your own two eyes ... or what I'm standing right here and telling you?"
Last sentence speaks volumes. Very true.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:14 AM

Anyone else has opinion on this subject?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:31 PM

I guess not.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I truly believe that "actions speak louder than words"....
Unfortunately in this day and age, politicians have proved that words speak louder than actions...that's very easy to see. Before we vote we are sucked in by those words which so many times prove to be just that...words...and nothing more.
It should be illegal to make promises you have no intention of keeping just to sound good, and to gain votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates