Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

The first amendment guarantees us freedom of speech, but it is not without restrictions. You can't yell BOMB in a crowded mall just for giggles because you have the 1st amendment behind you.

Likewise, the second amendment guarantees us the right to bear arms, but there needs to be thoughtful restrictions in terms of that amendment.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The first amendment guarantees us freedom of speech, but it is not without restrictions. You can't yell BOMB in a crowded mall just for giggles because you have the 1st amendment behind you.

Likewise, the second amendment guarantees us the right to bear arms, but there needs to be thoughtful restrictions in terms of that amendment.
There are already laws against murder.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
What do you think the outcome would be of a total gun ban?
It would be wonderful. Peace on earth, goodwill to men and women, the Age of Aquarius. For good measure we should all beat our swords into plowshares, and spears into pruning hooks. Nation shall not make war upon nation. And we shall learn war and fighting no more.

Such a move would liberate the human spirit in a magnificent manner. Sunrises and sunsets would gain new glory. Kim il Un of North Korea would link arms with free world leaders as they sang in unison "All We Are Saying (Is Give Peace a Chance" or Melanie's "There's a Chance Peace Will Come."

Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I think the bad guys would still get guns. Does anyone really believe that if guns are illegal, criminals will decide they should be law-abiding citizens and not have guns?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 362 times
Disastrous! If you totally ban guns it would only be the law abiding citizens who would be hurt because criminals would be the only ones with guns. How well will that work in a realistic world?
In a perfect world we could all dance throughout this world in peace and harmony but remember this world is imperfect and humanity is obviously fallible. Sad but, this is reality. Get used to it and deal with it responsibly.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

There are! Just as you can't yell fire or bomb in a crowded area you likewise cannot just shoot wherever...but that's pretty obvious for you to obtusely ignore that.

SO in order to protect gazelles form hungry lions, I propse we cut off their horns.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with the private ownership of AR-15s but they should be limited to people who have demonstrated that they are not crazy or evil, and that they know how to use and store such weapons safely, and will in fact do so.

And that needs to be re-verified from time to time. Many mass shooters were apparently GGWG's who subsequently went off the rails.
legit question. How do you do this. For the people that don't pass that are only mildly evil or crazy, are they allowed to own a regular gun like a remington 700 or glock 17?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Me too. I have a special light colored blanket to spread out so I can find those darn lil springs that like to shoot off into space.

People just don't have any idea how many millions are out there and being added to daily. Especially those with no paperwork. You can't find what you don't know exists.

Plus, the last bans were jokes. It didn't slow me down buying what they keep insisting are assault rifles. The ban was in an idea only.
Ha ha. I hear you. The first one I didn't lose the spring. The 2nd one I put a big sheet of plastic over me to stop the spring from traveling. The 3rd one I said " I got this"
To this day I never saw that spring again.

I know people, several, that if you took their ar's they have enough components to build several more all unregistered.
They are legal people in that all their ar's are fully registered per law, but you take those away and you will convert them to non law abiding citizens.
Many people I know have 10K rounds or more. Ban ammo? Not gonna blink.
But here's the thing, they are all law abiding citizens and aren't criminal. Yet the anti gunner want to pass laws to punish millions of them for the actions of a few.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 PM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think the bad guys would still get guns. Does anyone really believe that if guns are illegal, criminals will decide they should be law-abiding citizens and not have guns?
Like the Coke commercial turned into a song by the Hillside Singers and the New Seekers, the bad guys will teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah Rise View Post
Disastrous! If you totally ban guns it would only be the law abiding citizens who would be hurt because criminals would be the only ones with guns. How well will that work in a realistic world? In a perfect world we could all dance throughout this world in peace and harmony but remember this world is imperfect and humanity is obviously fallible. Sad but, this is reality. Get used to it and deal with it responsibly.
If we banned guns we could also require bad people to be good. As John Lennon said "you may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one."

Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Less violence if both new sales and existing ones (legal and illegal) are banned - obviously - though also a loss of certain aspects of American culture that may rightly be missed. Still, if a person has to think hard between more murder vs. less hunting... well, that's just sad.

That being said, very few people are advocating "no guns." But I have yet to see a serious argument as to why a typical citizen needs anything more more "room-clearing" than a revolver, shotgun, or rifle that cannot be turned into an "assault weapon" without extreme modification. There's just no excuse for that crap. If you're such a bad hunter that you're hunting in full-auto bursts, find another hobby. If you live in a neighborhood where criminals somehow shrug off bullets fired from anything less than an AR15, don't live in a wasteland full of bulletproof mutants. And if you think you need to keep your guns "because freedom / I need to kill the government someday because I hate paying my taxes," you're part of the problem and literally sacrificing the lives of others for your supposed "right" to kill people you don't like.

Honestly, people need to stow the gun fetish and stop pretending that guns are what make our society work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates