Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's a very entertaining comment. But I don't see Canada having many of the same societal problems that the United States has.
That is because Canada doesn't have the same Society (and of, what composes that society....people) that we have...so your point...lacks a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
That is because Canada doesn't have the same Society (and of, what composes that society....people) that we have...so your point...lacks a point.
Again, I realize you have an agenda here, and that's fine. ... My comment was a response to another poster's comment that, "Canada is truly the Cuckoo Cuckold Capital of the North". That's all my comment responded to. Nothing more. Nothing less. But now I will add that when we get our own problems under control -- which we never have -- then we can cast stones to other democracies.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I work for a huge fortune 500 company in the US. We are interviewing for an open position in our dept and HR sent the hiring manager an message to be sure and consider women and minority candidates for the opening i.e. we don't need to hire any more white men even if they happen to be the most qualified candidates.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I work for a huge fortune 500 company in the US. We are interviewing for an open position in our dept and HR sent the hiring manager an message to be sure and consider women and minority candidates for the opening i.e. we don't need to hire any more white men even if they happen to be the most qualified candidates.
"most qualified" can have many meanings and connotations.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
"most qualified" can have many meanings and connotations.
Right and in the liberal paradise I live in most qualified means the most diverse hire

Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Right and in the liberal paradise I live in most qualified means the most diverse hire
You got hired.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post

....... Does anyone else see a problem with this?

The only problem I see is that either you didn't read the whole article but you had a knee jerk reaction anyway, or else you did read all of it but you didn't comprehend any of it and had a knee jerk reaction. Maybe you have a reading problem but that's your problem, not a problem with what Dalhousie is doing.

The university and faculty and students don't have a problem with the decision, they approve of it, it's what they all want. If you don't live there and don't go to Dalhousie then it's not your concern, none of your business and nothing for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The only problem I see is that either you didn't read the whole article but you had a knee jerk reaction anyway, or else you did read all of it but you didn't comprehend any of it and had a knee jerk reaction. Maybe you have a reading problem but that's your problem, not a problem with what Dalhousie is doing.

The university and faculty and students don't have a problem with the decision, they approve of it, it's what they all want. If you don't live there and don't go to Dalhousie then it's not your concern, none of your business and nothing for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

Good post.

I had been the vice principal of my middle school for quite a few years, and our principal maintained a staff that was 1.2% minority, while our student body was about 25% minority. Over those years I had more than one minority parent express concerns about that, and that an almost all-White staff might not have a very good grasp of what Black, Latino, and Asian families experienced. But the principal at the time always answered with, "I always hire the most qualified teacher." To which a few parents had said, "Maybe an understanding of your community ought to be a qualification, too. Your whole community. Not just your majority White community."

When I became principal I made a real effort to begin to diversify our staff. By the end of my 8 years as principal we had gone from 2.2% minority staff to about 12% minority staff. If you wanted to go by pure technical qualifications, perhaps a few of my hires were not the "best" candidates. But I never hired an unqualified person, either. And guess what. Our state testing scores not only maintained their high levels, but actually improved...because the test scores for our minority students improved.

Whether it's a school or a company, qualifications are not just technical. The workplace environment also says a lot about a company (or school). All populations need to be considered, because all populations (hopefully) buy the product. Diversity is often an asset to a company's bottom line.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
I realize you have an agenda here, and that's fine. But don't put words in my (or other people's) mouth. My comment was a response to another poster's comment that, "Canada is truly the Cuckoo Cuckold Capital of the North". That's all my comment responded to. Nothing more. Nothing less. But now I will add that when we get our own problems under control -- which we never have -- then we can cast stones to other democracies.
Quote:
Again, I realize you have an agenda here, and that's fine. ... My comment was a response to another poster's comment that, "Canada is truly the Cuckoo Cuckold Capital of the North". That's all my comment responded to. Nothing more. Nothing less. But now I will add that when we get our own problems under control -- which we never have -- then we can cast stones to other democracies.
Do you think anyone who doesnt agree with you has an agenda? lol Those quoted replies were to 2 different people in this thread ! lol

Old 02-21-2018, 04:22 AM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillORdownhill View Post

But a quick google news search illustrates problems in Canada are increasing as the white population is decreasing. Simple logic.
I guess John Wayne Gacy, Tim McVeigh, The Columbine Kids, Las Vegas Killer, The Orlando Killer, Adam Lanza, Nickolas Cruz, etc. were Blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates