Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
The only solution is to keep the perpetrator's name anonymous. This will never happen, so I don't see any solution.
The name of the mass killer who was responsible for the slaughter which resulted in the drastic change in Australia's gun laws was used as little as possible after the event. His identity was and is certainly known but it was deliberately not used in memorials, commemorations or in any way avoidable. Of course this event happened before the advent of social media so it is much more difficult now. Nevertheless we have not had another mass shooting since, although unfortunately there have been car attacks and a mother stabbing several children.

Last edited by MarisaAnna; 03-10-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I understand the want and need for gun owners and pro-gun folks to keep their guns and maintain easy access of obtaining new guns.

The problem, as we all know, is nutjobs obtaining these guns using them for the wrong purpose.

A good compromise would be a gun buyback program just like Austrialia did. Gun owners can keep their guns, but there’s also an incentive to turn in many money guns that don’t need to be out in the streets. No solution is perfect and plenty of mass shooters bought their guns legally. But it’s a fair compromise where both sides can get what they want for the time being.

Or we can just keep up the thoughts and prayers while nutjobs shoot up schools, Churches, and concerts.
Well metal detectors would solve these problems, and it would not require any laws to be created or changed in order to put them in place.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So what exact solutions do you propose instead of just dismissing so-called 'anti-gunners'?
I firmly believe we need to pay more attention to the mental condition of people. Most liberals don't want to go,there and I'm not sure why, maybe it because they feel it will infringe on people's privacy and rights.
But then again they want to ban guns which is definitely infringing on a right guaranteed by the 2nd amendment.
In Santa Barbara the killer's own parents tried to get the police to address their son's mental issues and that he was dangerous and the police did not detain him .
In addition it wasn't just guns that he used for killing, he killed with a knife and unsuccessfully tried to run people over. That guy had posted bad things on social media yet was given a pass.
We also have plenty of laws on the books, but sometimes they aren't enforced as they should be. So passing more laws won't make a difference if they don't get enforced. How about if we first shore up our enforcement of laws first?
As far as dismissing anti gunners, I do so because many solutions they throw out sound good at first, but if you look at how they will actually play out they fall short of their goal. They are not well thought out. Then most anti gunners who don't research facts simply repeat what they've heard without investigating for themselves.
I see frequent anti gunners making claims about ar 15s spewing out 60 rounds a second mowing down innocents. Inaccurate information and sensationalism.
I've seen their misrepresentations corrected here on cd, they don't respond, but just keep repeating it over and over.
If you want to get something done you need both sides talking.
First of all you don't start off the discussion by calling people names.
I say anti gunners which I don't mean as a derogatory name. But the anti gunners love to refer to us as gun nuts, those with a gun fetish, trying to compensate for something, heartless killers, etc.
if you are going to negotiate with someone you don't start by insulting them with your first words.

Next you both need to have an agreed set of the facts. You can't have a discussion about math if one side believes 1+1=13. Pro gunners feel it's a moot point when the anti gunners make up,their own facts about rate of fire, what is an assault weapon, heat seeking rounds that follow the target, etc.

From what I've seen it's usually the anti gunners that throw out the first grenade and name calling, then the progunners come back and argue.
I've seen very few posts from anti gunners that actually know what they are talking about and the consequences of suggestions. Those are welcome and a nice relief from most of the yelling from anti gunners. Those people come correct and are most likely to get a dialogue with progunners.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
100 Million citizens couldn't hit the broadside of a barn either.......

What are they going to do against professional Soviet Military(?)
Well a lot more than you would as an unarmed person.
Ask the professional soviet military how they did in Afghanistan.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What are the odds of this? You've been watching too many home security commercials. When someone wants to rob your house it is rarely when they think someone is home...and if someone is, they usually flee. And do they often go around in gangs of 3 or more? And do they often shoot back or do they run like hell - what do they care about an injured "partner in crime"?
Maybe, except I don't get tv so you are incorrect with no,factual basis. Maybe argue with a legitimate stance.
Oh look, here's a 3 on 1 home invasion

Oklahoma home invasion shooting: No charges against man who killed 3 intruders | Fox News

You can continue to live in your ideal fantasy world where nothing bad happens, that's your choice. Just as it is my choice to use a "non handicapped by people like you" to defend myself.
I agree in that they won't care about their injured partner, but may still shoot at you after that just as a reflex or thinking they need to survive.

I can just imagine you if three people broke into your house because they thought you weren't home saying to your spouse, " don't worry, I am 100 sure they run away will all and not do us any harm because I know how every criminal mind works so well I am willing to stake your life on it."

Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well metal detectors would solve these problems, and it would not require any laws to be created or changed in order to put them in place.
Metal detectors don’t solve the problem. The shooter would just keep his rifle in the trunk of the car, go through the metal detector of the establishment, pull the fire alarm, then go back to get his rifle.

These mass shootings may be mentally ill, but they’re not that stupid to be stopped by a fire alarm.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:24 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Explain to me why stationing a retired veteran at every school entrance armed with an AR 15 or better
would not almost 100% solve/prevent mass school shootings.

Last edited by kelly237; 03-11-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 8,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
the "greatest generation" is that generation that fought in world war ii. For those who are still alive, they'd be in in their 90s and 100s. Do you really expect to see many of them causing much trouble...in their nursing homes?
rotfl :d

Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Explain to me why stationing a retired veteran at every school entrance armed with an AR 15 or better
would not almost 100% solve/prevent mass school shootings.
How do you know the killer is going to enter by the front door? How do you know the killer isn't going to pull the fire alarm and the kids will come streaming out at the fire exits? As soon as you put something into place, the killers will figure out a way around it.

It's mental illness plus needing to be very responsible if you own a gun. I was just reading about a school shooter in NC who took his dad's gun. The gun was just sitting there in the dresser drawer.

The kid had mental illness and had a history of killing animals. That's a pretty good sign. The parents shouldn't have had guns sitting around anyway but especially not with a kid like that.

The big gun that the kid really wanted but couldn't find wasn't locked up either! It was sitting in the dad's closet. It's irresponsible gun owners like this who give the rest of you a bad name.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was just reading about a school shooter in NC who took his dad's gun. The gun was just sitting there in the dresser drawer.

The kid had mental illness and had a history of killing animals. That's a pretty good sign. The parents shouldn't have had guns sitting around anyway but especially not with a kid like that.

The big gun that the kid really wanted but couldn't find wasn't locked up either! It was sitting in the dad's closet. It's irresponsible gun owners like this who give the rest of you a bad name.
What NC shooting are you talking about ??
We have had a few parking lot shootings and some between two students but I can't think of
any mass school shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates