Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Retreat!
Until someone can out run a bullet,retreat works in staying out of harms way.

And to the Leo's of the community,keep serving the public .I'm not so ignorant to believe you are trained to impede. Far too many civilians have been murdered from this ' impede' method. Just ask the lady who filmed her guy being murdered by an officer after being pulled over.
I don't excercise all the rights in the Constitution because it's not essential most times. Voting is a joke in my area. The repubs run the area ...so us outlingers are of no consequence in them securing a place in politics.
I can drink if I want but I don't excercise that right either. Must a person be mandated simply because it's written...sorry folks I just can't buy into the excersing rights mentality...when it comes to safety it can be had without the loss of life.
Which leaves those on the inside being attacked the only ones who can defend themselves. They are the ones that have to act to survive. They need the tools and training to do so.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
This citizen is flabbergasted at how easy it is to buy an AR-15 in his home state. Many more states are just as easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qo5sMfrrzAs

Is this what you want to happen??
Using this guys logic HE should be castrated. He obviously visits schools and the numbers of children being molested are higher than the numbers being killed in school shootings.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
<>He could just as well have been trying to buy a Remington Model 742 semi-automatic in .30-06 caliber, or a Browning semi-automatic in 7mm Magnum. Those would be actual high-powered rifles, not some little aluminum and plastic .22 caliber ugly thing.
Shhhhh!
I'd like to keep those suggestions quiet for two reasons.
1. We don't want the crazies to know there are better choices if killing is a goal.
2. We don't want the anti gunners worried about real hunting rifles.
"Be vewwy vewwy qwi-ute"

Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Old quote: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

New quote: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away, but don't expect any help until the carnage is over with.
Actually it should be "When seconds count the police are there but refuse to act until it's safe for them".
They want to go home to their families that night...

Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I'm retired military and retired LE and from the LE perspective I can assure you we were not trained to kill. Every weapon system we employed had what was called a minimum response. That was the number of rounds fired once someone was identified as a threat. For the Glock 22, which is a common pistol in LE, the minimum response was two rounds to center mass. The idea was to neutralize the threat, not kill a person. Once you fire two rounds to center mass, you go to the guard position and evaluate your surroundings to ensure there are no other threats. If the person no longer presents a threat, you don't fire any more rounds. If the person is still a threat, you reengage. So please don't spread misinformation about how police shoot to kill.
If what you say is true, (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) I'd love to know why in many reports the cops have emptied their magazines or, my favorite that over 100 rounds were fired at ONE dirtbag aka " a hail of bullets".

Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If what you say is true, (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) I'd love to know why in many reports the cops have emptied their magazines or, my favorite that over 100 rounds were fired at ONE dirtbag aka " a hail of bullets".
Almost every time I see that, I cringe. The one that absolutely flabbergasted me was the one in Chicago with the teen holding a knife. PD is already on scene, but another officer rolls up and seconds later unloads his entire magazine. What the hell was he thinking?! He was immediately fired and charged with murder. I don't know which 100 round incident you're referring to, but the one in Oklahoma where one trooper fired several magazines through his windshield at a fleeing suspect and then four or five officers fired numerous rounds was the only way they were stopping this perp. He had already murdered several people and had shot two police officers. He just needed to be stopped before he reached a populated area. So sometimes you need to fire 100 rounds. The latter incident occurred at night and officers were dependent on a FLIR-equipped helicopter to provide them with intel on the perp.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 02-25-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Almost every time I see that, I cringe. The one that absolutely flabbergasted me was the one in Chicago with the teen holding a knife. PD is already on scene, but another officer rolls up and seconds later unloads his entire magazine. What the hell was he thinking?! He was immediately fired and charged with murder. I don't know which 100 round incident you're referring to, but the one in Oklahoma where one trooper fired several magazines through his windshield at a fleeing suspect and then four or five officers fired numerous rounds was the only way they were stopping this perp. He had already murdered several people and had shot two police officers. He just needed to be stopped before he reached a populated area. So sometimes you need to fire 100 rounds. The latter incident occurred at night and officers were dependent on a FLIR-equipped helicopter to provide them with intel on the perp.
It shocked me as it happens more than one might think.
Here's a few notable ones:

“You do not riddle a vehicle with 600 shots, by 33 people, knowing there is an innocent person inside.”
33 Police Officers Fire 600 Bullets into Car Knowing It Contained a Hostage

13 Cleveland police officers who fired 137 rounds into car, killing 2, expected to be interviewed by investigators today
13 Cleveland police officers who fired 137 rounds into car, killing 2, expected to be interviewed by investigators today (videos) | cleveland.com

Philadelphia police officers fired 109 shots at a Cobbs Creek father who went on a stabbing spree in his neighborhood Wednesday night.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...395455061.html

Old 02-25-2018, 10:12 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:

I hunt with cops so their "marksmanship" skills don't surprise me.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Shhhhh!
I'd like to keep those suggestions quiet for two reasons.
1. We don't want the crazies to know there are better choices if killing is a goal.
2. We don't want the anti gunners worried about real hunting rifles.
"Be vewwy vewwy qwi-ute"
You mean, like the Remington 700 BDL in .308 Winchester, favored by some as a sniper rifle (and a variant purchased by the Army for that purpose) using basically the same round as the M60 machine gun?

Quote:
Because many cops can't shoot for spit. When my wife became a cop I had to teach her to shoot, because the training she received at the Academy fell far short of what one needs to know to be reasonably competent. I knew one [former] cop, who when he retired turned in his gun...it had to be cut out of the holster because it had NEVER been removed since the day it was issued to him.

Some cops are only slightly more proficient than your average gang-bangers- I know of one gunfight between two rival gangs where more than 200 rounds were fired...with only *one* (non-fatal) hit. The rest of the slugs mostly went into the walls of the nearby apartment buildings, a few went through windows but didn't hit any people inside.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:15 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
This citizen is flabbergasted at how easy it is to buy an AR-15 in his home state. Many more states are just as easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qo5sMfrrzAs

Is this what you want to happen??

The citizen doesn't live in the People's Republic Of Maryland.

What I'd like to see is the cops having satellite offices in schools. There seems to be armed security everywhere except schools where our most precious assets spend a good part of their day. Shame that it has come to this but the 1950s are gone forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates