Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 04:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, how do you propose this gun free zone defend itself from a shooter?
A big wall with limited access.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I never suggested that I could supply the training program for arming willing teachers. The fact that you know little to nothing about guns does not equate that all teachers are like you. Armed teachers is nothing new.

Btw, I'm not obsessed with guns. I'm obsessed with ending narrow mindedness concerning self defense.
I am a teacher. I own firearms. I have a concealed carry permit. I still would not want to be tasked with "defending a classroom" without further training... and I wouldn't be willing to take on that responsibility without financial compensation. How high are you willing to set your property tax bud?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:36 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
Already exists. Its called the National Guard.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah.....let's go the route of Israel. But let's not kid ourselves...the last draft was in 1973. The U.S. will never have a draft again because we don't want our good middle and upper class kids to fight wars - it will be strictly volunteer to avoid the ignominy of having to plead "bone spurs" to get out of it.
Perhaps you missed the part that says ALL CITIZENS.
The fact that volunteers are currently meeting the personnel budget of the military is not evidence that there will be no future conscription / draft / selective service.
If you're a consenting citizen, you've volunteered FOR LIFE.
IF // WHEN they need you, you will be activated.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Schools are for educating so please stop trying to turn them into playgrounds where you can come and play militia man. I was a teacher. I wouldn't have felt a bit safer with guns in the schools. Keep guns away from schools.
Every day that I go to work, I drive past a High School that maintains an indoor range and weapons. Students practice on a weekly basis and compete in matches.

Guns in the hands of responsible people, even students, is not the problem.

Whackjobs are the problem. Unfortunately, often one cannot identify a whackjob until *after* he commits some heinous act.

Rejecting the idea of having people prepared to defend against a previously unidentifiable threat is not reasonable.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I am a teacher. I own firearms. I have a concealed carry permit. I still would not want to be tasked with "defending a classroom" without further training... and I wouldn't be willing to take on that responsibility without financial compensation. How high are you willing to set your property tax bud?
Everyone is different, but I bet you would change your mind if a shooter entered your class. I carry my gun everyday and would have no reservation doing so in a classroom.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Already exists. Its called the National Guard.
No, the national Guard is a government entity.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Btw, is defending your own life a job I should pay for. I've never suggested you play policemen and run to engage a shooter. I've suggested you do what you do as to why you got that cc license to begin with. How selfish of you to suggest you should be paid extra to do so. It would never cross my mind to ask for money if I saved others life while protecting mine.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,866,682 times
Ya know...there was a time when it used to be common for high school juniors and seniors to show up to school with shotguns or rifles in their truck.

They would go hunting or shooting after school let out and they brought their guns to school with them so they could go right there.

Never were problems. Hell their guns were left unattended in their vehicles all day in the parking lot.

No problem. No issue.

Times have changed and not for the better.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Ya know...there was a time when it used to be common for high school juniors and seniors to show up to school with shotguns or rifles in their truck.

They would go hunting or shooting after school let out and they brought their guns to school with them so they could go right there.

Never were problems. Hell their guns were left unattended in their vehicles all day in the parking lot.

No problem. No issue.

Times have changed and not for the better.
They haven't changed if what you are implying stands. Hunting ground is all that changed ...instead of other mammals being killed,the hunters decided to upgrade to humans.

New target and all that folly held by a gun enthusiast.

Let's take guns out of the equation and actually defend without death being the end goal. Wow! Now there's an idea for human survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates