Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. You want to play with your guns, go somewhere else and do it.

Guns have no place in or near schools. It sounds like you just want another excuse to have your guns, to justify your gun ownership.

Schools are for educating so please stop trying to turn them into playgrounds where you can come and play militia man. I was a teacher. I wouldn't have felt a bit safer with guns in the schools. Keep guns away from schools.
Here's what will happen if this comes to pass.

A shooter enters a school. A couple of teachers with guns start playing cowboys and Indians. The police arrive. They see a couple of unidentified men with a gun in a panic situation and shoot them (naturally). Those unidentified men were the teachers, not the intruder. Gee, what could go wrong?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Yes,having an armed person enforcing dominance in the classroom with a gun is so civilized. Not!
Keep guns out of schools,kids do not need that kind of covert intimidation while learning their ABC's.
Thank goodness most educated teachers wish nothing more then to conduct their curriculum. Most probably do not want a gun in a class no matter who is pointing it.
This is sad that folks are even mulling over having them on premise.
My son and his wife are teachers. They have
Made it clear they will not be forced to hold or fire a murder weapon. This militia concept needs to go back into the hills and rethink ...or better yet disban.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. You want to play with your guns, go somewhere else and do it.

Guns have no place in or near schools. It sounds like you just want another excuse to have your guns, to justify your gun ownership.

Schools are for educating so please stop trying to turn them into playgrounds where you can come and play militia man. I was a teacher. I wouldn't have felt a bit safer with guns in the schools. Keep guns away from schools.
So, how do you propose this gun free zone defend itself from a shooter?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm not apposed to this. Yet, what is wrong with trained teachers? There is no guarantee that even the hired/volunteer guards will save the day. If I had a child in school, I would prefer they be in a class where the teacher is armed and trained enough to protect a their classroom.
I would not be in favor of a teacher being armed. In my opinion he should only have to concentrate on being a teacher,not a body guard. As to having armed police/expertly trained roving guards whose only task is to guard the school and the Teachers and the kids, that is fine.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
What bothers me about this thread and the general mindset of many liberals is that they dismiss citizens as inadequate to defend a classroom. This is complete nonsense. You do not have to be military or police to be highly skilled with guns and the ability to defend others with them. We are not expecting teachers to be cops or fight wars, just defend a classroom for Petes sake.
i'm sure not a "liberal" although I may support some of their opinions. If I have one of my children in a school I sure as hell don't want just "some citizen there with a weapon who may just accidentally kill them. Who ever is in that school with a weapon had better be professionally trained for those scenarios that have been leading to these school massacres......... not just some trigger happy redneck from the shooting range...........

Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
IMO, states and school districts should deside their own policies.
They should be trained for a few scenarios that might occur and not be trained to be cops or soldiers.
We are humans, yes, anyone is capable of mistakes or bad judgements. There is no perfect training or person for the job.
Military are trained to encounter threats in different scenarios. I'm sure they would be great applicants for this job with school scenario training.
As with police, their actions will be judged and defended if reasonable. There is no perfect answer to dealing with chaos. Declaring gun free zones and no defense is not a reasonable way to defend schools. Those who demand new gun regulations are not addressing the problem.
I'm sorry.... but my military training never included picking some mentally insane teenager out of a crowd of defenseless kids inside a school and blowing his guts out.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I would not be in favor of a teacher being armed. In my opinion he should only have to concentrate on being a teacher,not a body guard. As to having armed police/expertly trained roving guards whose only task is to guard the school and the Teachers and the kids, that is fine.
That worked out well in Florida? I've noticed a trend. Shooters go unapposed until they have killed numerous innocents. Believe it or not, teachers can be saviors and survivors when theirs and their students asses are on the line. Also, it is possible many are as well trained with a gun as any police officer. It is ridiculous to stereotype teachers incompetent as defenders. The one thing worse than a teacher pulling a gun and shooting at a threat is a teacher with no possible chance to save his students or self. You like many, reflect the nonsensical ideology that only government officers can effectively use a gun for defense. Very sad.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I'm sorry.... but my military training never included picking some mentally insane teenager out of a crowd of defenseless kids inside a school and blowing his guts out.
Which is why you or anyone else would need a bit of scenario training for the task. No one is suggesting anyone fire into a crowd hoping to hit the target. My guess is that you would pick the one shooting a gun at those running from him. If you are not up for the task, don't enlist.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
So, how do you propose this gun free zone defend itself from a shooter?
Heres some of my ideas. Depending on the size of the school have at least one armed and highly trained person/officer whose sole duty is to protect the school and the students.As to the issue of police arriving and not knowing who is the bad guy......... have this school officer in a uniform easily recognized as such. Plus,what would be wrong with cameras being posted in strategic places to moniter people who may enter the school and be up to no good.The school guard could have a command center where he could watch these. how about a special alarm system that could be triggered by only teachers or the guards warning of an attack. just a few ideas.........

Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
That worked out well in Florida? I've noticed a trend. Shooters go unapposed until they have killed numerous innocents. Believe it or not, teachers can be saviors and survivors when theirs and their students asses are on the line. Also, it is possible many are as well trained with a gun as any police officer. It is ridiculous to stereotype teachers incompetent as defenders. The one thing worse than a teacher pulling a gun and shooting at a threat is a teacher with no possible chance to save his students or self. You like many, reflect the nonsensical ideology that only government officers can effectively use a gun for defense. Very sad.
just because you can put holes in a certain spot in paper target does not make you a competent "defender".

Just as you pointed out about Florida...........that guy was apparently just interested in surviving to retirement...........and I won't go so far as to say I may not have done the same thing............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates