Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Unfortunately, politics/ideologies plays a major role in this issue.
Only if you decide that it does but this is not the politics forum.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Nonsense, training includes mental training. And, 9mm lead kills same as .223. Hiding under desks is not a solution.
Nonsense back at ya'. Shooting paper targets is not going to prepare anyone for a live shooting situation.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nonsense back at ya'. Shooting paper targets is not going to prepare anyone for a live shooting situation.
So, cops and military practice on humans? Mental preparation helps when survival is necessary. By your mindset, it is best you duck under a table and pray.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.
<>
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
You are getting close to the way The Well Trained Militia could work. Right now all citizens are presumed to be automatically in the militia which is unworkable. We should create TWTM and only they would be allowed to have the type of weapon referred to as the AR-15. Anyone else is restricted to pop guns, non-automatic revolvers and manual reload rifles and shotguns with limited capacity. This Federally Chartered organization would vet and train their members with proper government assistance.

Guns and the actions around them are for serious enthusiasts. Being a teacher has nothing to do with learning to properly handle and fire a gun, especially at people. Given that the number of people injured in unintentional discharges is higher that the number shot in mass killings, I would rate arming teachers as a Cataclysm on the Stupid Scale.
The carefully vetted members of TWTM would be available for school guards and other venues which have actually suffered much greater casualties. The failure in Florida lies squarely on the sheriff of Broward County as an administrator and as an LEO.
I have posted details on my plan in recent threads elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Soldiers are not necessarily good policemen.
Why would you want a policeman?
By law, they're not obligated to protect.
You cannot sue for failure to protect.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The majority of teachers don't want to carry guns! Front office staff probably makes little more than minimum wage, many of them young moms themselves who just wanted a job that would give them the same days off when their kids are out of school.

How are these people going to be so well-trained, so perfectly composed in a crisis, and able to take down a madman with an AR15 using just a handgun? I think that risking their lives playing cop is way outside of their job description. If you forced it to be part of their job, I would bet that most of them would quit.

And, in the case of a shooter and the school goes into lockdown, don't we need the teachers locked inside their classrooms keeping their students hidden, out of the line of fire, and trying to keep them calm?

Have you even asked a teacher about this idea? I have.
Every point you make is absolutely true.
All that should be done is to eliminate the signage "Gun Free Zone" which crazy people read as "Target Rich Environment"
That allows teachers who happen to be trained shooters to carry as they wish.
"WARNING. UNIDENTIFIED PERSONS IN THIS BUILDING ARE ARMED AND TRAINED AND READY TO PROTECT THE OCCUPANTS.
THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE TO ENTER WITH THE INTENT OF DOING HARM TO OTHERS"

Old 02-24-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
So, cops and military practice on humans? Mental preparation helps when survival is necessary. By your mindset, it is best you duck under a table and pray.
Cops use extensive simulation training and that still doesn't always prepare them for a live shooting incident. But teachers and janitors are not going to police academies which last between 19 weeks and 6 months are they?

Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Cops use extensive simulation training and that still doesn't always prepare them for a live shooting incident. But teachers and janitors are not going to police academies which last between 19 weeks and 6 months are they?
They don’t need training past defending a room and their lives. I have cops in the family, one is a recent grad from the academy. The training isn’t all about shooting humans. The vast majority of officers never fire a shot. None of this prevents a trained willing teacher from defending their class and lives. Being sitting ducks is not a rational option.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
<>
What makes you think that military personnel are suited for this kind of duty?
Who pays their legal bills?
Some good points. I am a proud veteran of the USAF Reserve with one day of experience in a combat zone which was on the other side of town. The rest of my duty was things like a monthly flight to dispose of expired F-100 ammunition by dropping it into the depths of the Gulf Stream, finding Puerto Rico, over and over and over again, but more useful, Air dropping troops from Fort Bragg onto their training fields.
Most veterans saw no more combat than I did. Lots of troops were in combat zones and never fired their piece outside of training or evaluation.
Free fire zones like a school under fire are tough places to be involved with. Most suggestions on protecting students come from people who have never heard a weapon fired AT someone, much less been there. Any skill I would bring to the scene has been generated at the local range, on my own time, with my own weapons and money.
I do have ideas on who will do this, and I am happy to provide that, but not by giving covering fire against a crazy person with a semi-automatic anything.
For that you want a pro.
Thing is they would have one action every couple of years. They would get bored and inattentive and be the first body found on scene.
My idea is to create The Well Trained Militia as the only people permitted to carry or own a semi automatic or more powerful weapon, all well vetted by their peers and with a command structure chartered at the Federal and State level.
"Posted around the site"

Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
Employ 1 soldier, just 1 soldier from Army in every school. It doesn't matter if its AK or AR, M16 will take care of the rest. We ll go from reacting to an active shooter to prevention of an active shooter.

Just start a pilot with 1 school. Protecting the country and protecting the country s future are equally sacred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates