Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 PM

79 posts, read 90,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Still semi-auto weapons.
And the point? Ban all semi-autos?
That is the lefts agenda that the right tries to counter. Give an inch and they keep wanting more. That's why its always ultimatums no matter how "common sense" a gun control measure sounds, it will be put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,402,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
And the point? Ban all semi-autos?
That is the lefts agenda that the right tries to counter. Give an inch and they keep wanting more. That's why its always ultimatums no matter how "common sense" a gun control measure sounds, it will be put down.
Where did I say ban anything? The poster mentioned the use of pistols. I just pointed out that all pistols aren't created equal. The VT shooting involved semi auto pistols.

More damage is always done with semi and automatic weapons. That's just truth.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Right off the bat, the first thought is that you don't *have* an automatic weapon- you most likely have neither the resources nor finances to obtain one. Automatic weapons, whether obtained legally or illegally, tend to be very expensive. The fact that you wrote something like this shows that you [currently] lack the appropriate knowledge and education to properly discuss the matter. This is not a slight or an insult, you simply do not have the necessary information...but that can be corrected if you wish to learn.

First lesson:

An automatic weapon, such as an assault weapon, machine gun or sub-machine gun fires continuously as long as the trigger is held down (until it runs out of cartridges).

A semi-automatic weapon fires only *one* round when the trigger is pressed, and the trigger must be released and pressed again to fire each subsequent round.

Now, making the assumption that you are thinking of an AR-15, which is a semi-automatic rifle that can be extremely accurate (in skilled hands) and fine for hunting, you should not have been able to just walk into a school with one. Even the short-barreled carbine models are rather large and difficult to conceal (as compared to a pistol). *Someone* should have been present and able to observe you attempting to enter the school with it.
Wrong....the very idea that someone doesn't call a semi-automatic by the technically correct name after seeing the damage it does has no impact at all on these arguments. Stop dismissing people because of semantics. Knock off the smugness. Politicians aren't scientists, or doctors, or accountants, etc. and somehow they manage to find experts who can iron out these semantics and work out laws that can be sensible.

BTW, I DO know the difference between a semi-automatic and an automatic. And let's just say that after seeing the carnage of a semi-automatic in multiple mass shootings, I know that I don't want them in schools or any public property...and I'd actually like to take yours away too, but I'll hold off on that. Since you know the terminology so well you're obviously not gonna shoot up a school...right?

Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,156,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's not the narrative being used by those suggesting we arm teachers. The language being used is indicating that armed staff will somehow PREVENT school shootings as shooters would be too afraid of getting shot.

Shooters don't care one bit about getting shot.
Yeah right. That's why the Parkland shooter took off on foot.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So how/where diid you get an automatic weapon?
Maybe he had an extra 25k and didn't mind the ATF anal probe?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM

9,364 posts, read 4,208,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
As a teacher I would be happy to be armed... When you pay me an School Resource Officer salary on top of what I already make. I ain't taking that risk for free.
Wait...what? How does being equipped to defend yourself (and others) against a gunman put you at risk? Do you think said gunman will spare your life simply because you're not armed? We have overwhelming evidence to the contrary in the form of dozens of UNARMED children and school personnel being gunned down. Your post makes no sense.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,766,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
The worst school shooting (Virginia Tech), was done with two pistols.
AR-15s were used in Parkland, San Bernardino, Sutherland, Newton, Las Vegas and Aurora. How long does the list have to get?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 AM

24,222 posts, read 16,904,664 times
School shootings are a form of terrorism and like terrorism the terrorist only has to be right once to kill whereas we have to be right all the time 24/7 to keep people from being killed.

The same goes for criminals that mug people or rob stores. A person can be going about their day and in seconds they become a victim.

There is no stopping it just as there is no stopping a evil person intent on murdering innocent people at a school.

They could take away all guns, swords, axes, knives, baseball bats with barbed wire wrapped around them, bomb making materials such as bleach, chlorine, gasoline and pointed sticks and evil will still find a way.

Everything that could be used as a weapon could be banned and what would stop the deranged killer from forcing his way onto a school bus with a fork and going seat to seat to stab the kids in the neck or driving that bus over a cliff?

I say that schools should have a locked box in classrooms that contain a gun and a teacher that is trained on how to use that gun. A shooter breaks through the check point at the front door, the alarm goes off and the school goes into lockdown. The teacher secures the class room door, retrieves the gun from the locked case and takes a position by the door while the kids get down in the back of the classroom. If the shooter decides to kick in the door the teacher shoots him.
There is no stopping evil.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Wait...what? How does being equipped to defend yourself (and others) against a gunman put you at risk? Do you think said gunman will spare your life simply because you're not armed? We have overwhelming evidence to the contrary in the form of dozens of UNARMED children and school personnel being gunned down. Your post makes no sense.
I guess the teacher's first shot had better be lethal because he would certainly draw fire to himself by making that shot!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
School shootings are a form of terrorism and like terrorism the terrorist only has to be right once to kill whereas we have to be right all the time 24/7 to keep people from being killed.

The same goes for criminals that mug people or rob stores. A person can be going about their day and in seconds they become a victim.

There is no stopping it just as there is no stopping a evil person intent on murdering innocent people at a school.

They could take away all guns, swords, axes, knives, baseball bats with barbed wire wrapped around them, bomb making materials such as bleach, chlorine, gasoline and pointed sticks and evil will still find a way.

Everything that could be used as a weapon could be banned and what would stop the deranged killer from forcing his way onto a school bus with a fork and going seat to seat to stab the kids in the neck or driving that bus over a cliff?

I say that schools should have a locked box in classrooms that contain a gun and a teacher that is trained on how to use that gun. A shooter breaks through the check point at the front door, the alarm goes off and the school goes into lockdown. The teacher secures the class room door, retrieves the gun from the locked case and takes a position by the door while the kids get down in the back of the classroom. If the shooter decides to kick in the door the teacher shoots him.
There is no stopping evil.
Yes, evil will find a way. How many people can you kill by throwing bleach on them? Yes, you could blind and maim a few...you're not going to kill 20. Same with a knife....same with a pistol. Limit the lethality...limit the damage. Yeah...give him a pointy stick instead a semi automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates