Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
People watch Saturday night live?
I've not seen it since the days of people like Chevy Chase and so on. I'm a conservative but really do not mind liberals and their opinions. I am not one to say liberals have caused the demise of this great country. I'll even say that Trump has brought on some of the comedy bits seen out here in things like SNL. But, I do feel it's been taken too far and I don't know if other countries can pick up our SNL shows but one can only imagine what they must think of the US. But SNL, and so much of Hollywood, has gone extreme left that I can watch very little of it. They've dominated the shows with the vast majority of liberal actors/comedians and so on getting all the support while the ones brave enough to voice the pro-gun, pro-Trump and others conservative stances seemingly drummed out.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Liberals - for 8 yrs we heard you concerns about Conservatives criticizing Obama - you didn't like it - so I guess you feel this is payback - childish but your right. Looking back at the SNL skits during the years of Obama - most made fun of Hillary, Biden, Putin ect... only one - The Ebola Conference - made fun of the Obama administration and even that brought distaste from Fox news.

It's fine to make a joke of a President's blunder but it another thing to not consider the families involved in the tragedy.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Liberals - for 8 yrs we heard you concerns about Conservatives criticizing Obama - you didn't like it - so I guess you feel this is payback - childish but your right. Looking back at the SNL skits during the years of Obama - most made fun of Hillary, Biden, Putin ect... only one - The Ebola Conference - made fun of the Obama administration and even that brought distaste from Fox news.

It's fine to make a joke of a President's blunder but it another thing to not consider the families involved in the tragedy.
And for 8 years before that it was liberals slamming Bush. It's a non-stop and stupid cycle.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Last night 3/3/18 Saturday Night Live had their usual opening skit/roast of Trump starring Alec Baldwin and I believed they crossed the line.
The opening Trump skits in the past have poked fun at Trump and his staff with sometimes funny but more than often offensive jokes to make our President look like a complete blundering buffoon.
SNL has become less of a sketch comedy show and has turned into a less than funny bashing of Trump.

Last night I believe they crossed a line when they took on the gun debate and made jokes about it less than 2 weeks after the horrific carnage at that Florida school.
Whoever thought it was funny to joke about the murders of 17 innocent people should be fired.
If you watch the sketch you will hear that the audience also felt a bit uneasy with the lack of clapping.

Here is the opening sketch.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/baldwin-a...054335981.html

I don't think it is funny that SNL is making jokes about guns and banning them in the wake of 17 murders.
I think that SNL has really gone too far this time and it is highly offensive to anyone that has been a victim of a mass shooting and anyone that is still human enough to care about those victims.

Is this comedy? Is this what we now consider comedy or have they gone to far?
No.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Politicians have been the butt of jokes for hundreds of years but I think recently we have seen the so called comedy go of the deep end and I do blame Liberals.

Of course Dems will jab comedy at Reps and Reps at Dems. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that many of the late night talk/sketch/entertainment shows lean to the Left (lately they do more than just lean they have fallen over) but I can't remember these shows ever slamming Obama like they slam Trump and Bush. The jokes at Obama's expense were often more intelligent but those for Trump and Bush were and are mean.
I believe that SNL got the memo and they are trying to subvert Trump to turn their young viewers against him. By the time 2020 gets here they will be brainwashed to vote for just about anyone.

The rest of the world thought Bush was an idiot and they think worse of Trump and it is these late night shows that are driving this concern/hatred. I have family in Ireland and the stuff they hear about Trump comes from only the Lefty news sources. They never hear anything good about him.
SNL and the other late night shows are really doing a disservice to the world by sowing seeds of discontent in hopes to discredit Trump and ensure a Dem wins in 2020.

It is odd how in 8 years Obama wasn't able to anything about gun violence in his Chicago never mind the country and he was not demonized for it. To many including the SNL group Trump the GOP and the NRA might as well be pulling that trigger.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
It's funny when Obama would go overseas and "apologize" for our country - which to me was the utmost embarrassment - and it didn't bother the Liberals - they stood behind him. Had the media been poking fun of Obama - there would have been subscriptions cancelled - blogs on social media ect..

I didn't like Obama - didn't vote for the man - but I'm adult enough to admit to the few things he did that I thought benefitted this country whereas liberals will hate and never admit when something the other party does benefits them.

I don't find jokes even implying of a natural disaster, tragedy, or controversial issue like abortion funny at all and in poor taste. Doesn't matter which side is trying to get a laugh.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Politicians have been the butt of jokes for hundreds of years but I think recently we have seen the so called comedy go of the deep end and I do blame Liberals.

Of course Dems will jab comedy at Reps and Reps at Dems. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that many of the late night talk/sketch/entertainment shows lean to the Left (lately they do more than just lean they have fallen over) but I can't remember these shows ever slamming Obama like they slam Trump and Bush. The jokes at Obama's expense were often more intelligent but those for Trump and Bush were and are mean.
I believe that SNL got the memo and they are trying to subvert Trump to turn their young viewers against him. By the time 2020 gets here they will be brainwashed to vote for just about anyone.

The rest of the world thought Bush was an idiot and they think worse of Trump and it is these late night shows that are driving this concern/hatred. I have family in Ireland and the stuff they hear about Trump comes from only the Lefty news sources. They never hear anything good about him.
SNL and the other late night shows are really doing a disservice to the world by sowing seeds of discontent in hopes to discredit Trump and ensure a Dem wins in 2020.

It is odd how in 8 years Obama wasn't able to anything about gun violence in his Chicago never mind the country and he was not demonized for it. To many including the SNL group Trump the GOP and the NRA might as well be pulling that trigger.
It's funny how you and other right wingers constantly talk about Chicago when overall violent crime in America reached record lows under Obama. Certainly lower than the Reagan era. Why not discuss that? I think I know why.

At this point. I honestly believe that t.v. shows like SNL and companies in general will have to look at the political leanings of their demographics. SNL's audience have been increasingly left-leaning for about 15 years now so...

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-06-2018 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Nevermind the fact that SNL has made plenty of jabs at Obama, both Clintons, and more Democrats. They are a topical show. But Trump and his Twitter feed is doing the writing for them lately. How could they NOT address it?

Is SNL liberal? Of course. Because they are appealing to THEIR base. In my house, 3 of 4 find these Alec Baldwin sketches hilarious. The lone holdout is my 17yo son, who is just sick of the whole Trump administration, and doesn't want to be reminded of him. We watch the show and will continue as long as they make us laugh. Then we won't. Because it's just a TV show, not a manual on what we should believe.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Nevermind the fact that SNL has made plenty of jabs at Obama, both Clintons, and more Democrats. They are a topical show. But Trump and his Twitter feed is doing the writing for them lately. How could they NOT address it?

Is SNL liberal? Of course. Because they are appealing to THEIR base. In my house, 3 of 4 find these Alec Baldwin sketches hilarious. The lone holdout is my 17yo son, who is just sick of the whole Trump administration, and doesn't want to be reminded of him. We watch the show and will continue as long as they make us laugh. Then we won't. Because it's just a TV show, not a manual on what we should believe.
What I bolded there is what I want to comment on.

Conservative posters here don't like it that SNL is catering to their base.

And yet, what does Donald Trump do. His Twitters appeal to his base. His campaign-rally-type appearances appeal to his base. He's forgotten that he's president to all the people, and he talks to only his people. And frankly, what he says and twits practically writes the SNL scripts.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
They weren't joking about the FL shooting. They were joking and shaming the folks that allow crazy people to more easily access and keep firearms. Those kinds of people have been crossing the line for decades now, and we see the ill effects of their ways.

By turning this around backwards and attacking the messengers, this solves nothing, and continues the dysfunction in our country.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-06-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates