Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

1st, one death is too many, I do not want to minimize this problem. Before you bang on me, I am a pharmacist and fully understand the issues involved in "the drug epidemic"

I want to throw 3 numbers at you. (why 3? to keep things in a simple perspective for a very complicated issue)

1) Drug overdose deaths in the US +/-50,000 a year (https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...se-death-rates)

2) Lung cancer deaths in the US +/-222,500 a year (https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/...ell/statistics ) I just picked one cancer, too many to list ( You can find statistics here: https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types )

3) Heart disease deaths in the US +/- 610,000 That is 1 in 4 of all deaths in the US (https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm )

I'm not including auto deaths, other diseases, suicides, etc

Before you bang on me again, I know that there is a major problem with over prescribing opioids and other meds.

Cost estimates: The NIH currently spends about $116 million a year on opioid use disorder research, mostly through the National Institute on Drug Abuse, one of the NIH’s 27 institutes and centers. To accelerate the agency’s various research initiatives, Collins says, the NIH would need four or five times the current spending—or roughly $500 million a year. (The NIH’s annual budget is set by Congress, although the organization’s directors then decide what priorities to fund within their budget.) ( Opioid Crisis: What Experts Say It Would Cost to Fix It | Money )

Why the Hell is our government throwing so much money at a problem that is for the most part self induced? Isn't this money better spent on cancer, heart disease and other diseases that plague mankind?

If someone wants to kill him, or herself, that's their problem, not mine.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
My thoughts exactly !! Well said. It's right up there with the Aids epidemic, 100% preventable.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times
Write your local congressman perhaps?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
My thoughts exactly !! Well said. It's right up there with the Aids epidemic, 100% preventable.
No, the AIDS problem can grow into the general population and research is necessary

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overv...nds/statistics

Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
We've discussed it.

Even our local sheriff refuses to allow his officers to carry Narcan

Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Maybe I'm naive, but, it seems like most of the 'war on drugs' is conducted via ribbons, speeches and education programs -- with a very limited reduction in the flow of drugs between Mexico (and elsewhere), and highly profitable U.S. dealers and users ... or in the U.S. drug use death rate.

Drugs (like guns) are something we can't simply 'regulate' or talk-down from major problem to nuisance status. While securing our borders would help, it's really going to take serious intent and more boots on the street, rather than programs, to deal with this.

There may be a correlation between the countries with the highest and lowest death rates from drugs (and a host of other factors) http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...se/by-country/ [For example, Mexico has one of the highest death rates from violence and one of the lowest death rates from drugs; While the U.S. has one of the highest drug use death rates and a much lower (than Mexico) violence death rate. Meanwhile, Canada and China and India have far lower death rates in drugs and lower than the U.S. violence death rates.]

Last edited by jghorton; 03-22-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 04:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Why the Hell is our government throwing so much money at a problem that is for the most part self induced? Isn't this money better spent on cancer, heart disease and other diseases that plague mankind?

If someone wants to kill him, or herself, that's their problem, not mine.

Thoughts?

I honestly think it's because too many white people are dying now. 'hard drugs' like heroin have been affecting minorities but they seemed to be deemed not worthy of saving. they go to prison; this new crop of white addicts are portrayed as 'victims'.

I'm not trying to be political, just calling it as I see it.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Don't have enough $$$$$ to pay him or her off.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
also, mike1003, with drug addiction comes a lot of crime. robberies, burglaries, etc. could affect all of us eventually, even you.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I honestly think it's because too many white people are dying now. 'hard drugs' like heroin have been affecting minorities but they seemed to be deemed not worthy of saving. they go to prison; this new crop of white addicts are portrayed as 'victims'.

I'm not trying to be political, just calling it as I see it.
That's possible answer for why?

But, my post is why are we wasting money on people why don't care what they ingest, shoot up or shove up their noses!

The money should be spent to help find cures for more serious diseases that people just get and not want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates