U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

28,748 posts, read 44,107,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Doesn't matter if it's true, the gender-rights police will be after you for that.
But it's not true, so they'd have every right to "come after you." Why do you think men pay higher insurance rates? Doubt that's because they get into FEWER accidents than women!

They have done studies on the subject, and it seems there are differences in how men vs women (in general) tend to drive. Men are typically more reckless and speedy, but also drive more miles annually; all of which contribute to the higher rates of accidents and traffic tickets.

Here's a source that isn't the best on its own, but does link to the reliable sources of their data: https://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/...ct-or-fiction/

According to this study in NYC, men cause about 80% of all serious pedestrian-related accidents... so tell us again how WOMEN are the bad drivers! LOL http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/ped...tyreport.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't care about the gender-rights police. I simply stated an accurate observation, but didn't extrapolate.
Your observations might seem accurate to you, but check out my post above... because they're not. You and Steve seem to be getting your stereotypes from the 1950's, when "gal drivers" were still a fairly new thing.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
well, sure none of the texts people are sending while driving are THAT important...we can all wait until we are stopped or pull over, but this is about what people PREFER to do, even though its against the law, due to it being dangerous, it should be up to the cell phone companies and maybe the public, to come up with something that works, which allows people to still text while driving, but not dangerous, or as dangerous as a billboard or car radio is.
No, we really shouldn't. I say if you're THAT determined to text and drive, go ahead and try... just don't whine if you get a ticket, or are faulted for an accident you cause as a result. Carry insurance, and pay my damages + suffering if you hit me. And if you kill me, please make sure my sister gets the settlement instead. Fair enough?

Making this easier will only ADD to the problem, in my opinion, since it might encourage those who'd otherwise wait. I don't text and drive because it's dangerous; and I can't think of any technology that would make it safe enough, but some of the ideas could give people a false sense of security.

Quote:
Billboards are designed to draw your attention, WHILE driving, yet they are 100% legal, no one has ever suggested banning them or telling people to ignore them, its 'fairly' safe to look at billboards, so, something similar COULD be developed for texting or using the cell phone while driving imo.
How often do you actually READ a billboard, though? And if you do, it's probably something big and simple like "Kaiser Saves Lives!" I think they were originally designed to attract the passenger, which historically would have been the woman/wife; and maybe they thought if you caught her attention, she'd convince hubby to pull off at the exit for whatever was advertised. Regardless, I just said above that I find billboards and warning signs to be distracting. So I'm not a huge fan of those either, and see fewer of them these days anyway.

Quote:
Maybe a 3D holographic interface that comes up in the front windshield, or off to the side, (where a billboard would be).
Yeah, that wouldn't be distracting and pointless at all. Gawd; if we ever do come to that level of tech addiction, please kill me.

Google Glass tried something similar, though, and look at what a flop it was! Being in Silicon Valley I saw my share of nerds wearing them, for maybe a month or so... then they mysteriously disappeared, and anyone I asked about it said they were distracting and discombobulating. Guess we haven't perfected that technology yet.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

19,876 posts, read 9,390,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Your observations might seem accurate to you, but check out my post above... because they're not. You and Steve seem to be getting your stereotypes from the 1950's, when "gal drivers" were still a fairly new thing.
No.

What I said was that in a series of almost-accidents that I was nearly involved in, every one of the drivers that nearly caused an accident were women texting or using cell phones. Again, I didn't extrapolate anything. I just told you what I observed. I didn't say women drivers were worse than men or anything approaching that. It has nothing to do with stereotypes. I just reported what I personally experienced. Or perhaps you were there when these near accidents occurred and had a different observation?

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

7,809 posts, read 2,475,847 times
Quote:
You seem to be freely extrapolating me into what this other poster said about women drivers. I made no such implication.

But I'll tell you about my mother as a driver. She used her own car as an ambulance, as a medical professional. She drove hard and fast and was still doing it the same way, at age 85. But she never once was involved in even the most minor accident and never was given a traffic ticket.

Old Today, 02:11 AM

19,876 posts, read 9,390,319 times
Since this keeps coming back up, I actually tried to do a little online research about who texts more while driving. Instead I found this interesting article about distracted driving, and who is involved in it more...men or women. It appears to be six of one and half a dozen of the other: https://www.obrella.com/news/texting...-men-vs-women/

And just for the record, yes, what I stated previously is what happened to me. However, in three accidents I was actually involved in, the other drivers who caused the actual accidents were all men.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

13,996 posts, read 5,545,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And just for the record, yes, what I stated previously is what happened to me. However, in three accidents I was actually involved in, the other drivers who caused the actual accidents were all men.
The last accident in which I was involved was in September 2006, with a female drunk driver. I will admit that is not typical. The other accidents in the last 15 years involved with people close to me was my mother, who was demented, and my wife, who didn't see an approaching speeding car as she pulled out of a driveway.

That being said I don't believe being prone to accidents is gender sensitive. And in none of those accidents was cell use an issue.

Old Today, 08:39 AM

4,400 posts, read 1,589,754 times
Regardless of the origin of speed laws, the reality is that the likelihood of fatality or serious injury increases exponentially with speed.

Plotting the following curve is an eye-opener:

y = (x/71)^4 where Y is the probability of a fatality and X is speed in MPH.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...8154/speed.cfm

No matter how you cut it, driving is one of the most dangerous things you will do every day. The laws you mention, speed and cell-phone are well intentioned, but in the end are but a small deterrent to humans doing stupid things on the highway.

Here are some interesting statistics about speed laws in different countries, and their effect:

Sweden
110 km/h to 90 km/h
(68 mi/h to 56 mi/h)
Speeds declined by 14 km/h
Fatal crashes declined by 21%

Denmark
60 km/h to 50 km/h
(37 mi/h to 31 mi/h)
Fatal crashes declined by 24%
Injury crashes declined by 9%

UK
100 km/h to 80 km/h
(62 mi/h to 50 mi/h)
Speeds declined by 4 km/h
Crashes declined by 14%

Australia
110 km/h to 100 km/h
(68 mi/h to 62 mi/h)
Injury crashes declined by 19%

Switzerland
130 km/h to 120 km/h
(81 mi/h to 75 mi/h)
Speeds declined by 5 km/h
Fatal crashes declined by 12%

Germany
60 km/h to 50 km/h
(37 mi/h to 31 mi/h)
Crashes declined by 20%

Australia
5–20 km/h decreases
(3–12 mi/h decreases)
No significant change

USA
22 states
5–20 mi/h decreases
(8–32 km/h decreases)
No significant changes

Old Today, 08:42 AM

7,696 posts, read 1,919,969 times
Quote:
No, we really shouldn't. I say if you're THAT determined to text and drive, go ahead and try... just don't whine if you get a ticket, or are faulted for an accident you cause as a result. Carry insurance, and pay my damages + suffering if you hit me. And if you kill me, please make sure my sister gets the settlement instead. Fair enough?

Making this easier will only ADD to the problem, in my opinion, since it might encourage those who'd otherwise wait. I don't text and drive because it's dangerous; and I can't think of any technology that would make it safe enough, but some of the ideas could give people a false sense of security.

How often do you actually READ a billboard, though? And if you do, it's probably something big and simple like "Kaiser Saves Lives!" I think they were originally designed to attract the passenger, which historically would have been the woman/wife; and maybe they thought if you caught her attention, she'd convince hubby to pull off at the exit for whatever was advertised. Regardless, I just said above that I find billboards and warning signs to be distracting. So I'm not a huge fan of those either, and see fewer of them these days anyway.

Yeah, that wouldn't be distracting and pointless at all. Gawd; if we ever do come to that level of tech addiction, please kill me.

Google Glass tried something similar, though, and look at what a flop it was! Being in Silicon Valley I saw my share of nerds wearing them, for maybe a month or so... then they mysteriously disappeared, and anyone I asked about it said they were distracting and discombobulating. Guess we haven't perfected that technology yet.
We have LOTS of billboards in the downtown metro area of the expressway, probably the worst possible area to have them too, as there are alot of interchanges and mergers, we even have some of the newer electronic billboards, which have up to 4-5 different messages, distracting drivers for longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates