U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2018, 03:57 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,830 posts, read 5,465,063 times
Reputation: 11029

Advertisements

I would like to point out that most of the above posts make no distinction between texting, and other much less hazardous use of cell pohones when driving or walking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really don't want to be killed over someone texting that they're running 5 minutes late!
Calling to say you're running late is far better than driving aggressively to be on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,921 posts, read 7,525,225 times
Reputation: 32404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would like to point out that most of the above posts make no distinction between texting, and other much less hazardous use of cell pohones when driving or walking.Calling to say you're running late is far better than driving aggressively to be on time.
Laws take awhile to catch up...and using a cell while walking is likely more dangerous for the walker so a little different.

I didn't say that if you can't text while driving, then drive like a madman in order to not be late! Noooo...be an adult and leave in time to make it on time...and who cares if you are 5 min. late - your presence is not THAT important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 AM
 
7,409 posts, read 1,809,411 times
Reputation: 5272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There is never a time or "condition" when texting while driving is safe... sorry, but everyone with COMMON SENSE (which you claim to have) knows this is true. The only time it's safe yet illegal is when you're stopped at a red light, but even then it distracts you from when the light turns green, or if something unexpected like an emergency vehicle comes along. You know how often I have to beep at the person in front, when they're too busy with the phone to notice the light's turned? Or they're sitting 5 car lengths behind the next car, because they don't realize everyone has scooted forward? So that's enough evidence of it being a distraction, even when you aren't actually moving.

People can't even WALK while texting (I've almost been crashed into by enough distracted walkers to say this), but you think you can "safely" manage a 2-ton vehicle? Okay, sure. Justify this all you want, but it really IS just a matter of luck that you haven't wrecked yet.
Luck would explain if it happened a couple, to a handful of times, most definitely not hundreds of different occasions over a 17 yr + period though!!

Btw, Yes, I do use common sense in doing this, I never try to text or talk when conditions are not safe to do so, basically the only time I will do this is if Im on a straight level road, have plenty of visibility in all directions and no cars around at the time.

Most texters that get stuck at lights, not paying attention, because they have their phones in their laps or another position where they have to look down, if they would hod the phone up, near 12 oclock on the steering wheel to text, they would be able to pay attention to the light changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
4,596 posts, read 6,191,334 times
Reputation: 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would like to point out that most of the above posts make no distinction between texting, and other much less hazardous use of cell pohones when driving or walking.Calling to say you're running late is far better than driving aggressively to be on time.



And leaving at a time to ensure your timely arrival is far better than either.



I have no doubt in my mind that current vehicles and roads are capable of supporting speeds far higher than the current posted speed limits. Unfortunately, we are a people with short attention spans and many of us think we can safely multi-task while driving.



How many times have we heard "it came out of nowhere!" No. It didn't. You were not looking in the direction from which whatever it is came. I can't support anything that requires taking your eyes off the road for a few seconds when it takes less time than that for a major accident to happen. Too many drivers think too highly of their abilities. Until more people can admit to themselves that they aren't as good a driver or multitasker as they think, keep the laws in place, as written, and enforce them more often.



Revenue generation is nothing more than a side effect. It's the most effective form of punishment because we tend to value money over many other things and getting hit for a couple hundred bucks is a good way to drive a point home. It hurts the majority of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: New York Area
13,830 posts, read 5,465,063 times
Reputation: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
And leaving at a time to ensure your timely arrival is far better than either.
Particularly true where I live, in the New York area. I typically add about 50% to the "normal" time for a ride, to allow for traffic, parking difficulties, etc. And by "normal" I don't mean 3 a.m. I mean just off the peak of the rush hour. For example, to get from my house to the U.S. Courthouse in Manhattan is normally "one hour ten minutes, any way you slice it" I allow just under two hours. However a cell is a good way to let people know if you hit a truly epic traffic jam caused by a "Darwin Award" accident or a demonstration in the middle of the FDR Drive. You can not and should not allow four hours for such a drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that current vehicles and roads are capable of supporting speeds far higher than the current posted speed limits. Unfortunately, we are a people with short attention spans and many of us think we can safely multi-task while driving.
There's multi-tasking and multi-tasking. Changing a song stored on the phone or satellite channel, or making a short, straightforward call is different from composing a text, engaging in a heated argument with someone in the car or on the phone, or as some like doing, Pleasuring (your)self While Driving A Mini, Crashing Into A Van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
How many times have we heard "it came out of nowhere!" No. It didn't. You were not looking in the direction from which whatever it is came. I can't support anything that requires taking your eyes off the road for a few seconds when it takes less time than that for a major accident to happen. Too many drivers think too highly of their abilities. Until more people can admit to themselves that they aren't as good a driver or multitasker as they think, keep the laws in place, as written, and enforce them more often.
If someone runs a stop sign or a light at a 90 angle not much you can do. Of if you're rear-ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Revenue generation is nothing more than a side effect. It's the most effective form of punishment because we tend to value money over many other things and getting hit for a couple hundred bucks is a good way to drive a point home. It hurts the majority of us.
Not really. When the 55 mph NMSL (see OP for definitions) was established the rationale was, properly, energy conservation. Much of the U.S. was plagued by gas lines. The NMSL was scheduled to expire in 1975 or 1976. It was extended basically because localities were hooked on the revenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,540 posts, read 43,945,322 times
Reputation: 19255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Luck would explain if it happened a couple, to a handful of times, most definitely not hundreds of different occasions over a 17 yr + period though!!
I drive to and from work 5x/week on high-speed freeways, and haven't wrecked as of yet (*knock on wood*). But I still consider that to be LUCK, hence the knocking on wood, and don't attribute it to being the best driver in the world. It might prove that I'm not a BAD driver, but the possibility exists every time I get behind the wheel. Difference between this example and texting, however, is that you can easily just not do the latter... driving itself is less of a "luxury," especially for those of us without public transit-friendly commutes.

Quote:
Btw, Yes, I do use common sense in doing this, I never try to text or talk when conditions are not safe to do so, basically the only time I will do this is if Im on a straight level road, have plenty of visibility in all directions and no cars around at the time.

Most texters that get stuck at lights, not paying attention, because they have their phones in their laps or another position where they have to look down, if they would hod the phone up, near 12 oclock on the steering wheel to text, they would be able to pay attention to the light changing.
I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise, but it's still a risk most of us would rather you not take. But hey, if you're really on an EMPTY road at the time, knock yourself out... just refrain from doing this around other drivers, please, and don't whine if you wreck or get a ticket. Fair enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: The analog world
16,556 posts, read 9,159,355 times
Reputation: 22121
My phone stays in my bag out of reach in the back seat of the car. Always. And if I remember, I even mute it, so the buzzing or ringing is not a distraction. I do not use the hands-free, Bluetooth option that allows me to use the car's radio for cell phone conversations either. And I certainly don't text! When I'm in the car, my focus is on the road at all times. Even as a passenger, I'm scanning the road for dangers. This may be the reason that I have a completely clean driving record in my mid-fifties. No phone call or text is so important that it can't wait for me to pull off the road.

As far as changing the song on a phone, let me just throw out that my best friend is grateful that her eldest daughter is alive and well today. Two weeks ago, the young woman reached down to fast forward through a song on her iPhone while speeding on the interstate. Before she could look up, she had rear-ended the car in front of her, causing her to lose control. When all was said and done, the only part of her vehicle that wasn't smashed to hell was the driver's side door, and four other drivers also had their cars destroyed. She's very lucky that her momentary inattention did not cause any major injuries or deaths. The accident also tied up traffic for hours, inconveniencing thousands of people on their daily commute, all because of a split-second look at her phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would like to point out that most of the above posts make no distinction between texting, and other much less hazardous use of cell phones when driving or walking.Calling to say you're running late is far better than driving aggressively to be on time.
Better still would be pulling over and making a quick call. The three additional minutes it might take to do this are no more significant than the five minutes you're already running late.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-26-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 AM
 
7,409 posts, read 1,809,411 times
Reputation: 5272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I drive to and from work 5x/week on high-speed freeways, and haven't wrecked as of yet (*knock on wood*). But I still consider that to be LUCK, hence the knocking on wood, and don't attribute it to being the best driver in the world. It might prove that I'm not a BAD driver, but the possibility exists every time I get behind the wheel. Difference between this example and texting, however, is that you can easily just not do the latter... driving itself is less of a "luxury," especially for those of us without public transit-friendly commutes.



I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise, but it's still a risk most of us would rather you not take. But hey, if you're really on an EMPTY road at the time, knock yourself out... just refrain from doing this around other drivers, please, and don't whine if you wreck or get a ticket. Fair enough?
Driving the expressway 5X a week without having an accident has nothing to do with luck imo. It just means you are a good driver, you may not be the 'best driver in the world', but not the worst either.

Luck would only apply if it was every so often or not very often, luck does not account for numerous times, stretching years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2018, 09:05 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,830 posts, read 5,465,063 times
Reputation: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Driving the expressway 5X a week without having an accident has nothing to do with luck imo. It just means you are a good driver, you may not be the 'best driver in the world', but not the worst either.

Luck would only apply if it was every so often or not very often, luck does not account for numerous times, stretching years and years.
Finally some common sense rather than hysteria. Cell phones are a significant enhancement to productivity and well-being. Texting admittedly is a tough operation to do successfully while driving. But other uses of the cell? On balance, good for society, especially to get work done and things accomplished during "dead time."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2018, 06:27 AM
 
5,323 posts, read 6,706,627 times
Reputation: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
.The NMSL was scheduled to expire in 1975 or 1976. It was extended basically because localities were hooked on the revenues.
The NMSL was scheduled to end in 1974.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top