U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM
 
7,665 posts, read 1,905,016 times
Reputation: 5389

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These people give no role whatsoever for common sense. The role of common sense in life could be a Great Debate topic. Any kind of system with liberty implies a great deal of self-regulation and self-restraint. People with a more authoritarian or, let's call it paternalistic view don't want to give any credence to self-restraint. Democracy, in other words, was not built for cowards or frightful people.
I really dont understand the whole debate on texting while driving...even my smartphone, which is like 5+ yrs old, has 'speech to text' function, it will basically write out the text of whatever you speak aloud and send it...NO need to even touch the phone...SO why isnt this being encouraged?


There seems to be NO responsibility to the cell phone manufacturers, to make something or make it easier to use, so texting while driving, would not even be a safety concern anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: New York Area
13,961 posts, read 5,532,992 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I really dont understand the whole debate on texting while driving...even my smartphone, which is like 5+ yrs old, has 'speech to text' function, it will basically write out the text of whatever you speak aloud and send it...NO need to even touch the phone...SO why isnt this being encouraged?

There seems to be NO responsibility to the cell phone manufacturers, to make something or make it easier to use, so texting while driving, would not even be a safety concern anymore.
I don't understand what you mean by the "cell phone manufacturers" but the opprobrium with which "texting while driving" is viewed, I think, relates to guilt over affluence and the productivity which is its cause. It has some basis in the Puritanical origins of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 AM
 
7,665 posts, read 1,905,016 times
Reputation: 5389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't understand what you mean by the "cell phone manufacturers" but the opprobrium with which "texting while driving" is viewed, I think, relates to guilt over affluence and the productivity which is its cause. It has some basis in the Puritanical origins of our country.
Why arent people calling on the cell phone manufacturers to come up with something so they can text while driving?


Although as I mentioned, they already have, (with speech to text), but for some reason, no one ever brings this up? With Bluetooth enabled, the phone can do all the typing and sending, and even read replies aloud, that way, the driver doesnt have to touch their phones at all while driving! If they would push this and encourage people to use it, they wouldnt need to create laws against texting and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,780 posts, read 19,003,385 times
Reputation: 21690
If everybody used common sense (and had the ability to do so) and did what they were supposed to do in an intelligent considerate manner there would be very few laws at all.
Because that is simply not the case, complaining about any specific one because you don't think it applies to you is nothing more than a subject for a someplace like message board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 08:05 AM
 
Location: New York Area
13,961 posts, read 5,532,992 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If everybody used common sense (and had the ability to do so) and did what they were supposed to do in an intelligent considerate manner there would be very few laws at all.
Because that is simply not the case, complaining about any specific one because you don't think it applies to you is nothing more than a subject for a someplace like message board.
Car radios were and are a similar distraction. These nanny-state rules simply would not have been tolerated back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 PM
 
3,755 posts, read 3,104,773 times
Reputation: 10328
I've never met too many people who were truly considerate, so, to rely on the others sense of civility and
auto safety decorum is unwise, and certainly won't hold up as an argument against the driving laws enacted in the general public's interest. And yes, car radios have been the cause of many an accident, distraction is a huge concern for all drivers, regardless of the reasons for being distracted.

Being alert and cognizant of all the aspects of traffic and pedestrian activity around you actually take up a ton of one's thinking ability. The fact that most amble along in a kind of mind-fog, talking to kids, the dog, or, on the phone, doesn't negate the fact of their lack of responsibility to the rest of us. But their actions can absolutely be accepted as a view to their selfishness and the fact of them feeling a bit above the rest of us not to mention the law itself.

The truth here includes the knowledge that legal or not, cell phones are indeed being used while driving, just as speeding, reckless driving, drunk driving, is still a huge problem for us all. Whenever I read the term "nanny state" I can assume the real thorn in the side is the notion of state power VS that of the citizen, and not the stated "problem" being discussed...In this case the OP wants to equate the law with his assumptions of some laws being the natural outgrowth of a puritanical mindset, and therefore having no valid role in the pursuit of our own modern interests. "Self regulation, and "self restraint?" Anyone who actually believes that these two acts of selflessness and civility are the norm in America needs to get out more often..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,961 posts, read 5,532,992 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The truth here includes the knowledge that legal or not, cell phones are indeed being used while driving, just as speeding, reckless driving, drunk driving, is still a huge problem for us all. Whenever I read the term "nanny state" I can assume the real thorn in the side is the notion of state power VS that of the citizen, and not the stated "problem" being discussed...In this case the OP wants to equate the law with his assumptions of some laws being the natural outgrowth of a puritanical mindset, and therefore having no valid role in the pursuit of our own modern interests. "Self regulation, and "self restraint?" Anyone who actually believes that these two acts of selflessness and civility are the norm in America needs to get out more often..
I get out plenty. The fact is that most people behave themselves pretty well and drive and multitask within the limits of their ability. The "hands-free" contraptions on the steering wheel are more difficult to use than the controls on the phone. And next, you're going to say, "why do people need to listen to music" or make a call when they drive. The fact is that the boredom of just driving will lead to more speeding or dozing off. Nothing is perfect in this world.

Almost every time a see a police cruiser with a motorist pulled over, I suspect some person's day has been ruined for a truly petty and arbitrary offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM
 
3,755 posts, read 3,104,773 times
Reputation: 10328
Yes, I'm familiar with your views on the "nanny state." Where I live, the traffic is getting to look like a free for all with mainly morons in the mix. We don't have a lot of police traffic details working in my city, so, we get a better look at what most people would do in the complete absence of ANY policing, and it isn't all that much of a surprise given the me first, last, and always state of mind that most exhibit behind the wheel. Your contention that most people drive sensibly and civily certainly isn't the case where I live. Every time I see a driver pulled over I imagine they are getting their just deserts and nothing more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM
 
Location: London U.K.
1,322 posts, read 556,324 times
Reputation: 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They want to avoid implying that this can be done if the driver uses common sense, like waiting for a red light or time when no other drivers are around, to pick up the phone.
You get a ticket in U.K., just for picking the phone up, or having it in your hand, even if you’re not talking into it, or reading the screen, £60 on the spot, $76, and 3 penalty points on your licence, get 12 in a year, and lose your licence for 12 months.
I was driving my father-in-law’s old clunker, in the financial district of the City of London, on a very hot day, the car had no a/c, so I had both front windows down.
I stopped at a red, at Bank Headway, near the Bank of England, and a text came in on my cell, ding-ding!
I glanced at the phone, on the front passenger seat, and a cop, who must have heard it too, was standing one metre from the car, looking at me, like Clint Eastwood in “Dirty Harry”, I swear he wanted to say, “D’ya feel lucky punk? Go ahead and reach for it.”
I just smiled, and looked straight ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,841 posts, read 9,370,445 times
Reputation: 18978
This article (probably with some bias from a law firm) is, nevertheless, the best summary of cell phone use and texting as related to auto accidents that I've seen (and some of the stats are from respected sources).

But if one doesn't think that texting while driving is dangerous, I have only to point out the dangers of texting while WALKING -- https://www.askadamskutner.com/pedes...while-walking/.

In perhaps a dozen near accidents I've almost been involved with, people were texting. I've actually seen people walking while texting who walked right into electric poles and a moving car.

The whole world, and the safety of people, doesn't need to revolve around personal convenience. The near-addiction people have nowadays for media is getting ridiculous...and let's face it, not all those calls and texts are important...it's often just socializing.

Yes, I have a smart phone. I can text. But I don't use a hand-held device for those purposes when driving. My needs do not supersede the safety of others...and myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top