Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

In The Week magazine this week: With the passing of a new French law under which men can be fined up to $880 if they whistle at or make lewd comments to women on the streets.

What do you think about this? The fine is too high, too low, shouldn't even exist in the first place?

Now what if you purse your lips into a kiss at a woman in the streets? Or what if a female Lesbian whistles at another woman on the streets? Exempt because she's not a man?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:57 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
I think that is textbook anti-free speech. Just more signs that Europe is going too far left for its own good.

Sure, cat calling in any form is dorky and probably irritating to a lot of women, but it shouldn't be a crime. You can't outlaw being a jerk, most humans are jerks, women included.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I think that is textbook anti-free speech. Just more signs that Europe is going too far left for its own good.

Sure, cat calling in any form is dorky and probably irritating to a lot of women, but it shouldn't be a crime. You can't outlaw being a jerk, most humans are jerks, women included.
I can't find the exact article so who knows the details....it's a matter of degree, I suppose. People can't run around the streets flashing others - doesn't that limit "free speech"? If cat-calling or lecherous remarks are unwanted, there seems to be a case though I'd make it a much smaller fine.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
This type of thing is a growing movement in many parts of the world. The "street harassment" issue, which includes harassment on transit, catcalling, etc., got a lot of press in the UK a couple of years ago, and I also saw an article about it from Argentina. I don't know what the upshot of that media attention was, but some kind of measures to curtail it were called for.

As to applying a fine to it, I don't know any other way to curtail it, do you? The only problem is, if a woman is passing a construction site with several guys working, how would she know which one did the catcalling or whistling? And how would an officer be able to get proof? This is why they say, there are good laws, and bad laws.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

You can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater, not, I'm pretty sure, can you publicly advocate violence against a person or group. There are limits to free speech. The question is, where to draw the line. Opinions on that will vary.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Pretty sure a disgusting, sexist wolf-whistle is a form of assault......880-bucks should also include
criminal-charges.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Fine with me. If these men can’t keep their mouths shut or their gestures to themselves too bad. If it takes a big penalty to shut them up, maybe they’ll learn something and finally grow up.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Pretty sure a disgusting, sexist wolf-whistle is a form of assault......880-bucks should also include
criminal-charges.
Someone needs to look up the definition of assault:

An assault is the act of inflicting physical harm or unwanted physical contact upon a person or, in some specific legal definitions, a threat or attempt to commit such an action. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal and/or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and tort law.

Inflicting physical harm/contact or threatening/attempting to do so. Cat calls do not qualify.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In The Week magazine this week: With the passing of a new French law under which men can be fined up to $880 if they whistle at or make lewd comments to women on the streets.

What do you think about this? The fine is too high, too low, shouldn't even exist in the first place?

Now what if you purse your lips into a kiss at a woman in the streets? Or what if a female Lesbian whistles at another woman on the streets? Exempt because she's not a man?
Its mostly lesbians with their deranged idea of " toxic masculinity " who promote these anti male laws.

The insane European court of civil rights in Brussels are hell bent on imposing their neo marxist political philosophy, without a constitution to protect free speech the Europeans are completely screwed.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Someone needs to look up the definition of assault:

An assault is the act of inflicting physical harm or unwanted physical contact upon a person or, in some specific legal definitions, a threat or attempt to commit such an action. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal and/or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and tort law.

Inflicting physical harm/contact or threatening/attempting to do so. Cat calls do not qualify.
Don't confuse them with sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates