Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,593,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The Patriot Act largely superseded the Constitution and gave us both. Few people would believe what federal law enforcement does as a matter of habit. Nobody watches the watchers.
The government now sees all, it is true, but there is still a check and balance when someone actually wants to access the information and even more if they want use the information. They need permissions, and those permissions have to come with a reasonable cause.

That part doesn't concern me for the most part. I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do there. I liken it to living in a high crime neighborhood. My house wasn't the easiest to break into, and it never was. The home that was the easiest to break into, seemed to have a break-in occur every 6 months.

Either way, I don't foresee either party loosening that surveillance anytime soon. The clandestine operations of the US seem to be immune to any political scrutiny and capable of making their own illicit money if their budget is inadequate. I just don't want that access spreading to other agencies where a phone could track you jay-walking, a charge at a liquor store could prompt a turn-off of benefits etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
We have to have a decent person in the White House again.

Not a person in love with themself.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:34 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,879 times
No.

What the civilians, the 99%, want, generally speaking, is completely and irreconcilably opposed ideologically and physically to what the Deep State UN Shadow Government 1% want, and that 1% is who really decides who wins or loses.

Ya might be asking about Hillary then. Nope. The 1% knew that if that b--ch won, s--t would get torn apart so bad the 1% would have notbing left to steal or control.

...and even a popular candidate would have to do a 180 on all the stuff that made him or her popular once they get into office...

Old 06-05-2018, 03:13 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We have to have a decent person in the White House again.

Not a person in love with themself.
We elected and then reelected a pretty decent man in 2000 and 2004.

And we had a golden opportunity to elect another one in 2012.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Trump is a nationalist. He's not even a conservative, but the conservatives fielded folded to Trump's bully tactics.
snip
The reason....while an bully-playboy with a likely itch for war-mongering is scary, he as an individual is less scary than a way too lock-step big government group that's a little too coordinated, and a little to quick to judge anyone not on the team as a deplorable or uneducated.
Look how well his bully tactics have worked so far on the international stage. It has also served him well in following through on the promises he made that got him elected, while past presidents made promises that they had no intention to follow through on. A lot of voters in 2020 will remember that he kept his promises, even if there were some they didn't like.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:55 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times
I should give up on discussion of American politics. Unless I simply seek to find out who stands where. What percentage of these posts are either demonstrably right or left wing? 95% is my guess.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, President Trump is LOVED my more than half the country. Just because you don't care for him, doesn't mean he doesn't have widespread support. Being in the middle class, I know plenty of hard core Democrats that love Trumps positions on economic growth, love his tax cut package which is saving them "big time" as Trump would say. They will never admit it in public, because they don't like Trumps style and position on non-economic issues. Every one of them was a Bernie Sanders supporter, and they all didn't vote because they couldn't stand Hillary.

Now if I change your question to this, will there ever be a Republican president that Democrats love, or vice versa, then the answer will be no. Politics have become a new religion. Republicans have long connected Christianity into their agenda, the Democrats never did. The new Democrat party has now changed tune, they are marketing themselves towards atheist, counter culture, social justice warrior types. Even if the Republicans had a minority, gay candidate, the Democrats would find some reason to protest against him.
Quote:
I should give up on discussion of American politics. Unless I simply seek to find out who stands where. What percentage of these posts are either demonstrably right or left wing? 95% is my guess.
Until you realize that you have been aptly explained in the second paragraph above you should avoid politics. You probably think you are a centrist, but you are typical of most liberals who think that the are, but there's only a few to the left of them. You can't be a centrist when there is nobody to the left, or in some cases, to the right of you.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Uh, politics is on a spectrum...or curve...describe it as you like it.

Your statement is about as relevant as saying that if we put people here on a scale and measure their height that we will likely each fall differently on a chart.

BTW, a centrist in American Politics is quite far to the right in most Euro politics (Europe is really about the only other large populated modern civilization in the world...at least which follows "Western" values)....

I knew some right wing folks in Portugal and they were FAR Left to Americans, believe in full-boat health care for all, legal drugs, etc.

There was absolutely nothing "right wing" about them....

At this point in time, "right wing" is defined as
Authoritarian
Nationalistic

Those two qualities pretty much say it all. Neither take the "person" as being the primary focus of government or civilization, rather they glorify the "State" (as they see it, of course) or the Leader. Those two things are Nationalism and Authoritarianism.

Things like:
Pee in this cup
Let me force you to have that child - even though you were raped or otherwise.
If our President does it, that makes it legal.
Only White European Americans are the "real" ones and others are a sideline.
It is OK for others to hit my child (legal in public schools in MANY states).

Both Nationalism and Authoritarianism make ANYTHING OK....anything, as long as the end result is gained. We can clearly see that by the moral and ethical failings of the current admin here in the USA....

You simply can't equate that stuff with "we have a new word for fireman...they are now called firefighters"...

Someone of the left (human centered) would take the recent raid in Ohio on immigrants and think "just arrest the employers and anyone who had to do with it who was in control". Someone on the right, since people with money are to be worshipped and looked up to, would excuse the employers and revel in the arrest, detention and ill treatment of those looking for work.

It's a completely different world view.

Same goes for drugs, violence, etc - people on the left would study the drug problem, violence in mexico, etc. and clearly see that it is AMERICANS who are supplying the market and the guns. Legalize or stop taking them and 90% of the problem is solved. But someone on the Right would think "America can't be doing things that wrong (Nationalism)...and what we need is a wall to keep those bad people out"....

As if keeping one group out will solve the drug problem!

In the end, I think it's about whether one has the ability to see the world as what it is - complex - or whether they desire simple solutions (that do not work) to the perceived problems. I understand the pull of simplistic thinking, but sooner or later such people may want to notice that it doesn't work.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:54 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Until you realize that you have been aptly explained in the second paragraph above you should avoid politics. You probably think you are a centrist, but you are typical of most liberals who think that the are, but there's only a few to the left of them. You can't be a centrist when there is nobody to the left, or in some cases, to the right of you.

I usually vote party line Rep and have all my life. Just alarmed with many trends. Trends that both parties are entirely complicit in.

More of a "Ron Paul Republican" than anything.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
At this point in time, "right wing" is defined by leftists as
Authoritarian
Nationalistic
There, fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates