Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,483,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sock puppet accounts and pack mentality. It is super easy to create multiple accounts on many social media platforms, even dating back to AIM. The only way to avoid is entirely shutting off which isn't fair. That is like saying the kid can't take the normal way home because it is a bully's territory.

PLENTY of kids took the long way home to avoid bullies or certain areas though, even going back to my parents generation, in the 60s, this was fairly common for kids that were picked on or bullied in some way. Its not really fair, but lots of things are not fair in life. You either go out of your way to avoid, or stand up and deal with it. Im pretty sure which choice I would want my kids to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM

50,370 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The problem when discussing abstract topics such as bullying is that you will meet people who have formed their own ideas. Usually they will have an agenda to go along.

How do we teach these people quickly and efficiently the abstract bullying? There is really no easy way.

I think the easiest way to deal with uninformed people is to back off especially when they say they are being bullied. I wouldn't waste time explaining that my behavior is not bullying.
I'm not talking about you specifically, but most bullies don't admit to bullying. And even if they are using the term beyond the current common definition, even though it may not be "bullying", per se, it may still be inappropriate social interaction.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Do your saying that if I don’t agree with you or someone else, I’m bullying them? Sorry just trying to clarify here. If so then those people need\should be taught the difference.
I know what you're saying, but the difficulty is where the line is.

Let's take a workplace example where several people are sitting at a conference room table discussing an issue that has come up. One person is playing devil's advocate, and another person at the table says, "You're bullying Jane", and he responds, "No, I'm not attacking Jane, I'm attacking a faulty direction Jane is taking the discussion in".

Old 06-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
PLENTY of kids took the long way home to avoid bullies or certain areas though, even going back to my parents generation, in the 60s, this was fairly common for kids that were picked on or bullied in some way. Its not really fair, but lots of things are not fair in life. You either go out of your way to avoid, or stand up and deal with it. Im pretty sure which choice I would want my kids to make.
Here's where I think your thinking is faulty.

We had a bully in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Scott was bigger than the rest of us. Athletic. Strong. Muscular. Tough. And a neanderthal when it came to logic. Any one of us could have stood up to him...and we would have been beaten down every single time. You seem to think that standing up to a bully means that the righteous will win every time. Not at all true.

(Just for the record, on Scott's 18th birthday he went into a bar for the first time -- you could drink at 18 then -- got verbally abusive to someone, and got his jaw smashed to smithereens...had to be all wired and he never looked quite right after that.)

Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM

19,594 posts, read 9,132,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's where I think your thinking is faulty.

We had a bully in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Scott was bigger than the rest of us. Athletic. Strong. Muscular. Tough. And a neanderthal when it came to logic. Any one of us could have stood up to him...and we would have been beaten down every single time. You seem to think that standing up to a bully means that the righteous will win every time. Not at all true.

(Just for the record, on Scott's 18th birthday he went into a bar for the first time -- you could drink at 18 then -- got verbally abusive to someone, and got his jaw smashed to smithereens...had to be all wired and he never looked quite right after that.)
Do you know if Scott continued to be a bully after that?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Do you know if Scott continued to be a bully after that?
No, I went off to college and pretty much lost contact with "the kids" in the neighborhood. We just all rejoiced at his karma.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,459,356 times
Quote:

Let's take a workplace example where several people are sitting at a conference room table discussing an issue that has come up. One person is playing devil's advocate, and another person at the table says, "You're bullying Jane", and he responds, "No, I'm not attacking Jane, I'm attacking a faulty direction Jane is taking the discussion in".
Then someone needs to learn the difference between attacking someone and having a difference of opinion.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,784,265 times
Quote:
Do your saying that if I don’t agree with you or someone else, I’m bullying them? Sorry just trying to clarify here. If so then those people need\should be taught the difference.
No this is how some education professionals have gone and quite frankly it is stupid logic. I work in education and see it. Even a case of two kids fighting over something was bullying to a parent. IMHO, if you don't want to sit with someone, maybe you just don't like being around them because you have always had issues with them. In schools we try to use the word friends like everyone is one. But I am jaded enough to know it is off. We may not be enemies, but we are not friends. Another case is mayne you don't associate with co-workers and stay out if their business.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,784,265 times
Quote:

Exactly, it isn't easy to know what is and isn't when people turn bullying into anything they disagree with.

Quote:
Then someone needs to learn the difference between attacking someone and having a difference of opinion.
It is also about the other information not given. Does devils advocate always shoot down Jane's ideas? Does devils advocate use a mean tone? There is a good amount of Grey area where it could be bullying to the "bullied" or outside third parties.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:25 PM

7,582 posts, read 4,128,880 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about you specifically, but most bullies don't admit to bullying. And even if they are using the term beyond the current common definition, even though it may not be "bullying", per se, it may still be inappropriate social interaction.
I agree but I want to backtrack a little if that is okay. The concern is that anything that hurts a person's feelings is labeled bullying. But I think we can agree that bullying is when safety has been violated, especially when it is physical. But where do we cross the line with words? I think we have to focus less on the words and instead focus on the conditions of the social interaction.

I can't tell you how many times what started out as a difference of opinions, turned into conditions of win/lose, right/wrong, smarter/dumber, etc. These "win/lose" conditions, in my opinion, are inappropriate social interactions. That is very different from bullying, which is a safety situation.

Where things go downhill is when the win/lose interactions are treated as unsafe, with people responding aggressively or too passively. These are behaviors that bullies have been taught are normal reactions. Bullies thrive in win/lose conditions because they can easily spot the people who are treating the interaction as unsafe. The words don't matter to bullies; the win/lose conditions do.

This is why I think bullies don't recognize when they are bullying. I am totally fine with somebody saying "quit bullying me" because defining it has become so complex as you can see with this post.

Last edited by elyn02; 06-15-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates