Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Because that would be mean and judgmental. </liberals>

Remember, there are no losers, only winners! Everyone is wheat, no one is chaff.
I'm confused. I am an extreme leftist.

Quote:
Our school systems are also wasting a lot of effort and money on trying to make every student excel in STEM and be good enough to get into Harvard. But realistically, a lot of students would be happier and more productive in the hospitality industry or the trades. And with many recent immigrants, they are just happy to not be in their broken country anymore. Having their children grow up to become doctors or thrive in Silicon Valley is very low on their priority lists. And it takes having tiger parents for a student to excel in the academics. Without parental encouragement, support and even threats, most children would rather play after school than spend extra hours doing homework.
There should be a mixture of play and homework. A person doesn't have to excel to Ivy League levels to learn personal discipline needed to succeed in the work world. Or to learn English as a first language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Our school systems are also wasting a lot of effort and money on trying to make every student excel in STEM and be good enough to get into Harvard. But realistically, a lot of students would be happier and more productive in the hospitality industry or the trades.
What is this based on? Where are you getting your information about high school prep goals? My job makes me very familiar with the objectives of high schools as they relate to college readiness, and I can say this simply is not true.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I can relate to ancestors who "arrived with little if any resources" in America, from Western European countries (1700's) as well as my husband from a Southern European country (1970's). I'm not going to offer a lecture on the merits of my understanding and experiences other than to say this, I am strongly in favor of immigration. Yes, I am, Legal immigration. However, I have to say that I agree with the sentiments of President James Madison concerning his view on naturalization and citizenship in America.

It comes as no surprise to anyone that the current immigration system is completely broken. Before we can address America's issues about legal and illegal immigration in any bona fide and meaningful way, we must fix that which is broken. Otherwise we are, in essence continuing to kick the can down the road exacerbating further the circumstances of immigration which continue to be an issue with no end in sight.

Surely America has a multitude of brilliant men and women of both a social and political mind to draft an immigration policy which is humane, ethical, practical and which allows for an opinion to bring the best and the brightest to our shores along with a humane system to the degree it allows for the downtrodden as well. Then all we need is a government which comes together and reach an agreement on what is "the truly right thing to do" for citizens and immigrants alike.

I have serious doubts that I will live long enough to see it happen (at least as I envision it) but perhaps my children or grandchildren will...one day

When good men do nothing America’s immigration system is broken
This the result of decades of dodging hard decisions
Jun 30th 2018 | MCALLEN, TEXAS

If there were ever a perfect moment for immigration reform, this is it. The border now has more fencing and police than it did in 2000, when crossings were at their peak. Then virtually all migrants were Mexicans. Today, with Mexico’s economy and birth rate both stable, nearly half come from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador—weak states wracked by gang violence—enduring a costly and treacherous journey north. As of early 2017, America was experiencing a net outflow of undocumented Mexican migrants and a decline in its Mexican-born population.

America’s immigration system offers something to displease everyone.

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...stem-is-broken

James Madison

James Madison (March 16, 1751 – June 28, 1836), an American statesman, political theorist, party leader and fourth president of the United States of America (1809–1817), was one of the most influential Founding Fathers of the United States.

"When we are considering the advantages that may result from an easy mode of naturalization, we ought also to consider the cautions necessary to guard against abuses. It is no doubt very desirable that we should hold out as many inducements as possible for the worthy part of mankind to come and settle amongst us, and throw their fortunes into a common lot with ours. But why is this desirable? Not merely to swell the catalogue of people. No, sir, it is to increase the wealth and strength of the community; and those who acquire the rights of citizenship, without adding to the strength or wealth of the community are not the people we are in want of."

https://www.conservapedia.com/James_Madison

This is my take on immigration. Never should we be importing foreigners for jobs when there are Americans who can fill them and our unemployment numbers are high even if they are the brightest, etc. Illegal immigration is totally unacceptable and most who are coming here that way are the downtrodden and sorry but they are a burden to our society rather than a benefit. We should always consider the needs of our own people first. Those coming here illegally need to fix their own countries. We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's needy anymore. This isn't 1918 it's 2018. Our population has grown immensely since then and our natural and social resources are being depleted and creating overcrowded conditions in our cities and suburbs.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This is my take on immigration. Never should we be importing foreigners for jobs when there are Americans who can fill them and our unemployment numbers are high even if they are the brightest, etc. Illegal immigration is totally unacceptable and most who are coming here that way are the downtrodden and sorry but they are a burden to our society rather than a benefit. We should always consider the needs of our own people first. Those coming here illegally need to fix their own countries. We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's needy anymore. This isn't 1918 it's 2018. Our population has grown immensely since then and our natural and social resources are being depleted and creating overcrowded conditions in our cities and suburbs.
Exactly and perfectly said.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sadly when you feel the way you espouse you are labeled "racist,bigot,nationalist,xenophobe" etc. What you say makes great sense and is very rational in its message.

I wonder when the REAL reasons behind ignoring,insulting,demeaning or marginalizing those who feel the way you do (and there are millions) will come out because there ARE reasons which I think are not at all in the best interest of our country or its citizens but are most likely very self centered...

Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sadly when you feel the way you espouse you are labeled "racist,bigot,nationalist,xenophobe" etc. What you say makes great sense and is very rational in its message.

I wonder when the REAL reasons behind ignoring,insulting,demeaning or marginalizing those who feel the way you do (and there are millions) will come out because there ARE reasons which I think are not at all in the best interest of our country or its citizens but are most likely very self centered...
You and OG basically keep missing the point. Illegal Immigration should never have been allowed to get out of control. And particularly after the last amnesty the screws should have been well tightened down and a stop put to it.

That did not happen. And we have allowed illegal immigration to reach such a level that it is no longer correctable by those policing the system. So we either fix it or end up with a low end class living in the shadows forever.

So we either fix it...likely by legalizing most illegals...or we let it run on. And the new illegals are of a different sort. They will not be easily picked out and will continue to grow in numbers if we don't do something about it.

So name your poison. But there is no option not to have one or the other..

Old 07-19-2018, 04:23 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You and OG basically keep missing the point. Illegal Immigration should never have been allowed to get out of control. And particularly after the last amnesty the screws should have been well tightened down and a stop put to it.

That did not happen. And we have allowed illegal immigration to reach such a level that it is no longer correctable by those policing the system. So we either fix it or end up with a low end class living in the shadows forever.

So we either fix it...likely by legalizing most illegals...or we let it run on. And the new illegals are of a different sort. They will not be easily picked out and will continue to grow in numbers if we don't do something about it.

The problem with this and any other field involving law is that it's easy to pass laws, and rare that judicial and prosecutorial resources are expanded to meet the enforcement need. In the case of immigration for example, if there's a three-year wait for a hearing the migrant isn't going anywhere, or he or she will just return if deported.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

No, I've not "missed the point" at all. I've just never addressed that part (here) because it's so damn obvious...

Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Both are important. We don't need to live in a primitive, polar, unbalanced, one-vs-the-other world. 1+1 is more worthy than 2-1.
The needs of citizens take precedent over immigrants. If the immigrants become citizens then obviously the treatment should be equal.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 07-19-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Natives.

There are too many nomadic opportunists, just playing the system, abusing hospitality, and ready to bite the hand that feeds them.

Looking at it another way. The immigrants, may be running from a country, that they themselves have had a part in ruining. Are they going to treat a country they are not native to, any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates