Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:28 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,140,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
It hit me the other day. Its almost impossible to have an adult conversation with anyone about any serious topic. It never fails. It happens in these forums, and irl. You express an opinion that someone disagrees with, and they get offended, mad, hostile, insulting etc. Have people become so mean and nasty that they cant talk like a mature adult when they disagee with someone? Maybe its like monkey see monkey do. They see people on Tv acting this way, so they do it too.
What makes you think it was ever any better - online or IRL? In the ~60 years I have been alive I have been told/learned that you just DON'T have serious conversations with people you don't know. It will always turn rancorous - unless you both agree 100% or you are careful not to press your point of view when someone disagrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 AM

50,537 posts, read 24,109,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's hardly just on politics. I was called a moron on the Automotive forum the other day. I had an argument with someone once when I posted a video about a duck who got a policeman to save her babies from a drain grate. I've seen differing opinions turn ugly on just about every forum topic imaginable. OP didn't even mention politics, everyone seems to be assuming this is about politics but I have no idea why.
I agree with you. I just think that politics is the most common flash point today.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:37 PM

50,513 posts, read 36,211,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you. I just think that politics is the most common flash point today.
Perhaps, but I’ve been on so many threads on Caregiving, Relationships, etc that are closed down for becoming too nasty I can’t even count them. Sometimes I have to stop coming here for a break because I find myself becoming grumpy after awhile. It’s depressing. Politics was always a tough subject IRL too but it seems recent that relatively benign subjects get so out of hand and people get so snarky. Start a thread about a child killer on a carnival ride and the first page won’t end before someone gives the poor kid a Darwin Award or attacks his parents as incompetent morons for taking him to a carnival. It just seems like there’s a lot more anger and a lot less compassion nowadays.

I’ve stayed off the politics board for years and report threads people are trying to turn into politics, but it makes no difference.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,886,519 times
And things have not always been like this. Consider the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Clearly not like Fox or Msnbc today

Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM

50,537 posts, read 24,109,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Perhaps, but I’ve been on so many threads on Caregiving, Relationships, etc that are closed down for becoming too nasty I can’t even count them. Sometimes I have to stop coming here for a break because I find myself becoming grumpy after awhile. It’s depressing. Politics was always a tough subject IRL too but it seems recent that relatively benign subjects get so out of hand and people get so snarky. Start a thread about a child killer on a carnival ride and the first page won’t end before someone gives the poor kid a Darwin Award or attacks his parents as incompetent morons for taking him to a carnival. It just seems like there’s a lot more anger and a lot less compassion nowadays.

I’ve stayed off the politics board for years and report threads people are trying to turn into politics, but it makes no difference.
I quit the politics and other controversies board about a year ago.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,140,194 times
It's been longer than you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
And things have not always been like this. Consider the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Clearly not like Fox or Msnbc today
Founding Father's Dirty Campaign

"Things got ugly fast. Jefferson's camp accused President Adams of having a "hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

In return, Adams' men called Vice President Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father."

As the slurs piled on, Adams was labeled a fool, a hypocrite, a criminal, and a tyrant, while Jefferson was branded a weakling, an atheist, a libertine, and a coward."

Old 06-27-2018, 02:09 PM

50,513 posts, read 36,211,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It's been longer than you think...

Founding Father's Dirty Campaign

"Things got ugly fast. Jefferson's camp accused President Adams of having a "hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

In return, Adams' men called Vice President Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father."

As the slurs piled on, Adams was labeled a fool, a hypocrite, a criminal, and a tyrant, while Jefferson was branded a weakling, an atheist, a libertine, and a coward."
And if anyone watched Boardwalk Empire, opposition party members actually went to a rally for the other candidate and attacked and beat up the people there that were going to vote for him! I know the show is fiction, but things like that actually happened. I do think we found some civility in later years, but it does seem like we are returning to those Wild West day’s again where opposition is not to be tolerated.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM

10,997 posts, read 7,081,480 times
Even partisan politics got going very early on. In George Washington's farewell address, he urged people not to gravitate towards "factions", and form political parties (there were none during his administration). He used England as an example, and pointed out how caustic and partisan matters were there, and that we should be set apart and superior by not going down that path. Of course, people just ignored him and went ahead with it.

I'd love to post a link to his words. Maybe someone else can if interested.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,974,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People these days are... less able to discuss matters without getting offended.

America used to have a rich culture of debate and discussion. People were not only more informed, but also more confident of their ideas and convictions. It was heavily weighted on thought and intellect, with emotion being frowned upon. Now it's the opposite
Very well said. In fact, you & others who've replied here, sound like someone it would be a pleasure to engage in conversation.

I'm simply stunned at the level or rudeness some dole out for no identifiable reason & conversely, the offense people take today, when someone is of a different mindset. It's grossly inhibited my interaction with others. I understand the OP, cuz virtual fistfights breakout on the forum, when someone's asked which pan to use or which tire gauge to purchase. I don't understand walking around all day with that level of prickly skin & pressure beneath the surface. Swearing, mocking & name calling, too, have become commonplace in real life, which isn't pleasant.

Now, I bypass 80% of the threads to which I feel I could offer some info, because as I peruse the thread, well, fistfight straight ahead, pg 5. Forget it. I've stepped in against better judgment, was misquoted, yelled at & left with a stunned face & blackened eye. It's just not worth it.

I miss spirited, fun discourse, but sometimes it feels like trying to reason with someone who's had too many breakfast cocktails... they make no sense & it's completely fruitless to even attempt anything reasonable.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,615,191 times
Our house rules: No politics and no religion. Makes life easier and maintains friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates