Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Though I think this statement is kind of derogatory towards normal people, fact of the matter is I've never been a big events or people talker, but that's what the majority of people enjoy talking about.. other people, sports, and pop culture... looking up the same old youtube videos and pictures of vegetables shaped like vaginas... resorting to the same overused sex humor again and again... like I said there's nothing wrong with this, but I prefer psychology, astronomy, politics/business, philosophy, etc. Looking at another facebook meme or youtube video of some humorous situation is not something high on my "stimulation" list.. though I do have a soft spot for Jack Vale's fart videos. No, I'm not that fun at parties, and that's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
Internet forums can be more like a toilet than a communal bath.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Though I think this statement is kind of derogatory towards normal people, fact of the matter is I've never been a big events or people talker, but that's what the majority of people enjoy talking about.. other people, sports, and pop culture... looking up the same old youtube videos and pictures of vegetables shaped like vaginas... resorting to the same overused sex humor again and again... like I said there's nothing wrong with this, but I prefer psychology, astronomy, politics/business, philosophy, etc. Looking at another facebook meme or youtube video of some humorous situation is not something high on my "stimulation" list.. though I do have a soft spot for Jack Vale's fart videos. No, I'm not that fun at parties, and that's ok.
Same here. However, I find it's easier to discuss the bigger ideas with non Americans.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I agree with the OP.

Does that help?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Great minds discuss ideas;
I live in a state that 49 out of 50 and many time i wonder if this week its not fifty, we have no great minds, all we got is football, so what do you discuss, with everything being followed with 'you see that catch"

Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I almost spit my coffee milk all over the screen on that one, rofl. I miss those old SNL shows. They were the best.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The art of conversation is just about dead. There are so many interruptions in our lives between kids, cell phones, TV and the fact that most have the attention span of gnat it is very hard to have an adult conversation.

If that adult conversation turns to politics watch out. My wife and I have friends that are Reps, Dems and Independents, we lean to the Right and it is nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation about Politics with out Democrat friends without them getting angry so we don't talk about it.

I was no fan of Obama during his second term but we could always talk about his ups and downs without anger creeping into the discussion.

People are so quick to anger nowadays and it is mostly those on the Left. I think they watch too much TV and believe what they are being fed by the likes of CNN and others.
You are clearly biased. So much stock we can put into this comment.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM

290 posts, read 250,075 times
During a conversation with my kids about why I (almost) never watch TV, I explained that I'm sick of politics invading everything. I grew up in the sixties and seventies, and I have no idea which party Johnny Carson belonged to, or Dean Martin, or Jack Benny or... (I could go on for pages). Also, we had lots of gatherings and cookouts with friends and neighbors, and I honestly don't know what their politics were for any of them.

My current policy is that I don't discuss politics, period. And those who insist on injecting it into everything are quickly dropped.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
The anonymous nature of discussion forums like this bring out the worst in many people. In the face to face conversations we have with people in the real world there are social restraints and consequences that put a check on what we say to others. On the internet many people have a mob mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates